Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Game-breakingly bugged item!  (Read 792 times)

Shadow

Game-breakingly bugged item!
« on: August 20, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »

Turns out that after looting a Skeleton Swordmaster and the amulets and earrings around some old ruins, I headed back to the nearest town to sell the stuff. After selling everything, I noticed it wouldn't let me into Travel mode because I had someone else's goods on me. I checked my inventory and found an earring, which I looted at the ruins and might've accidentally picked it up after selling it to the merchant.

So, the problem is... I can't get rid of it! I drop it and it appears on the map (twice), but when I check my inventory it's also still there! When I drop/throw it elsewhere, it disappears from where I had initially dropped it and reappears on the new location (also remaining in my inventory). This wouldn't be game-breaking if it weren't for the fact that now I just can't go anywhere on the world map. When I try to move away from the town's position, the game crashes when it tries to offload the location.

Is there any way to fix or work around this extremely annoying issue? Any way to destroy this cursed earring of Satan (no, that's not its name; I'm just angry)? I tried leaving my backpack, with nothing in it except the earring (which did make it disappear from my inventory), beside a tree, igniting that tree and then taking an 8-hour nap. When the character woke up, I noticed the fire was still raging, and my backpack had effectively burned up... but the earring was still there!

I also tried leaving the backpack with the earring behind, but the game still crashes when I try to move on the world map. This is exceedingly frustrating, and, for my character, means the same as encountering a huge dragon, butt-naked and having nowhere to run.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: Game-breakingly bugged item!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

Did you try dropping the earring at the shop you picked it up?
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Shadow

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

Yeah. Same result as dropping it anywhere else.

Shadow

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »

Seems this is a world-corrupting issue...

The game crashes after my character's killed/retired. When I start it up again, I can continue from the last save. All this different things I'm trying between crashes might be making a big mess, since the game might be recording everything as if it's happening simultaneously or something.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »

Had happened to me once, although I could still move...

Try selling it?

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Shadow

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

Tried purchasing it (since it wasn't mine in the first place) and selling it again, but it's useless. Even if I leave my backpack behind or actually own the object, when I get to the world map, I move and it crashes.

It crashes when:

- I try to move on the world map.
- My character dies and the game starts unloading him.
- My character retires and the game starts unloading him.
- I finish saving the game.

Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 10:40:00 pm »

Try putting it into a container and dropping the container. Or just putting it into some barrel.
urrently digging fortress #9.

Shadow

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 04:36:00 pm »

I said I already tried that (dropping my backpack with nothing but the earring in it). I don't know how to put things in a barrel (I tried picking it up and using 'p' to put the earring in a container, but the barrel wasn't one of the options) and I don't think it'll change anything.

I'm beginning to accept this cursed bug completely destroyed my world, and that's a major turn-off for me. It's a great game and, sure, I could create another world, but I'd have lost all the unique details of the previous one. And besides, there's no guarantee something world-breaking like this won't crop up in my next (possibly developed) world, ruining everything again.

I think I'll just wait till the Adventurer mode is more stable and playable.   :(

[ August 21, 2007: Message edited by: Shadow ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:13:00 pm »

Yeah, it sounds like a corrupt unit file.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

Yep, this thing happened to me when I decided to cheat death and use ctrl-alt-del. Actually, I've had all sorts of wierd stuff happen, including corpses getting stuck in me, stepping into a town and suddenly wearing its furniture, picking up a craft item in a ruin and having it transform into something else everytime I threw it... the list goes on.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 09:17:00 pm »

I always restore from a backup when I ctrl-alt-delete.

I've never had any of those problems.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Shadow

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »

As far as I know, using 'backups' also creates unstability, since the backup save isn't synchronized with the rest of the game's files.

I did CTRL-ALT-DEL'd out of the game shortly before this bug showed up, so it might be the reason. It wasn't to avoid death, but to avoid another bug. I found a bone staff on the ground, and when I took it, it replaced the iron scimitar I had in my left hand. Naturally, this pissed me off, and the game wouldn't let me quit without saving, so I did it the brute way.

Now I realize perhaps I should've accepted the comparatively minor bug, despite iron items are HARD to find in the kingdom I was at the time (only copper and bronze crap).

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

What files are there that change when playing the game other than the data/save directory?

Shadow

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 06:34:00 pm »

I don't know. Just read that on some other topic.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

Then I'll go with "there are no other files."
Pages: [1] 2