Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Embark wagon started on a frozen river...  (Read 3715 times)

Urist McXenu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark wagon started on a frozen river...
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:09:27 pm »

... and I'm sure you can guess what happened next -_-

I managed to get most stuff moved off it before it thawed, but unfortunately it thawed pretty quickly after embark and I'd hardly struck earth let alone dug out a makeshift holding area. And naturally, the stuff that is stuck in the river is the forts frelling booze collection.

Is there a way to temp. dam a river, or dredge it, or recover it somehow? It's been forbidden for the moment, so hopefully my zealous booze-hounds don't go after them, but they still show up as stock and thus needing me to remember that it doesn't count.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Embark wagon started on a frozen river...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:23:30 pm »

Wait till next freeze and then just dig it out.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 06:57:40 am »

If this ever happens again, quickly channel off the frozen river on both sides of the wagon, find any stone area and mine it out.

Get that stone and build a quick wall on the channeled area. Your wagon will deconstruct when it falls in (or if part of it is on land) but the equipment will not be lost to the flow.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:03:22 am »

I've had this happen a few times. It usually results in my dwarves being split up on different sides of the map with no food, booze or extra equipment whatsoever.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:08:30 am »

Its not so hard to deal with. Deconstruct wagon while river is still frozen, and build a floor under your stuff while you get it stockpiled elsewhere. Bonus points for building a bridge over the frozen river so your architect will move the entire contents of your wagon off the river before building it.
This is a blank sig.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 09:10:33 am »

great idea. On the other hand, it pays to make sure there is no river flowing through the middle of your embark., this lessens the chances for this to happen
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:12:29 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Urist McXenu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 01:16:46 am »

Yeah, I really should have taken more care in setting the embark zone. I didn't realise the wagon can derp out like this, and now I do. DF: Teaching you how to play it right, one multiple harsh lessons at a time.

Didn't realise it freezing wouldn't kill the barrels though, that is good news. Waiting until freezing time I shall be.

Thanks for the tips, all :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 02:05:07 pm »

Its not so hard to deal with. Deconstruct wagon while river is still frozen, and build a floor under your stuff while you get it stockpiled elsewhere. Bonus points for building a bridge over the frozen river so your architect will move the entire contents of your wagon off the river before building it.

Impossible to build floors under all that junk, item blocking site.

However, digging beneath, and replacing the ice below with constructed walls works.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »

Impossible to build floors under all that junk, item blocking site.

However, digging beneath, and replacing the ice below with constructed walls works.

Pretty sure that my dwarves have moved items before building where they used to be on many occasions before now, provided the item that would be in the way isnt marked for some other job...
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 02:56:52 pm »

Pretty sure that my dwarves have moved items before building where they used to be on many occasions before now, provided the item that would be in the way isnt marked for some other job...

Not as easy when you have to haul it all out before the river thaws ;)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 06:28:52 pm »

I found an awesome place where an island touches the main land. The main land being evil of course. We embarked right in the middle of the f'n ocean which WAS frozen... didn't last long. lucky I knew to move MOST must stuff.

TOP:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bottom of Ocean:

Operation "Save the Geese" is in order... they just won't come home!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 06:39:11 pm »

Tried setting up a meeting zone? Will the ocean re-freeze? Otherwise, sorry but your geese will be bobbing on the ocean for the next few months :P

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 06:55:15 pm »

Ya, they wont come to meeting hall. I am building a road out to them... SAVE THE GEESE!

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 07:11:10 pm »

I found an awesome place where an island touches the main land. The main land being evil of course. We embarked right in the middle of the f'n ocean which WAS frozen... didn't last long. lucky I knew to move MOST must stuff.

TOP:
Bottom of Ocean:

Operation "Save the Geese" is in order... they just won't come home!

I notice quite a few negatively buoyant dwarves in that second picture sir.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:59 am »

Tried setting up a meeting zone? Will the ocean re-freeze? Otherwise, sorry but your geese will be bobbing on the ocean for the next few months :P

It froze. Come home little buddies!
Pages: [1] 2