Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: This is why I love DF  (Read 8956 times)

Hybrid

• Bay Watcher
  • Strife M.D.
    • View Profile
Re: This is why I love DF
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 04:05:05 pm »

Now, if a (for some reason) dead vampire would get eaten and all that by wild animals, they too would become vampiric. In a mod, perhaps, but I would be interested in vampiric war-bunnies :P.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 04:36:12 pm »

Hmmm, if it'd be possible to butcher vampires...
Chop up a vampire -> Put his blood into a barrel -> Serve bloody booze to dwarves -> FUCKING PROFIT!

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 05:30:10 pm »

Why should we kill vampires anyway. Its been said before but they're more useful than regular dwarves... About weres it's all the same or none.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 08:53:03 pm »

Do they kill when they feed? Or does the victim just suffer from blood loss and turn pale or something?

How is spawning new vampires handled? Do all victims become new vampires?

Are vampires considered "your" units for purposes of the fortress being destroyed? That is to say, if you entire population of regular dwarves turns into vampires, does the game end?

I can see real problems if there's a "vampire-plosion." Even if the fort doesn't end, if there are no regular dwarves to feed on, what happens to the vampires? Do they all just wither away and die?

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 09:29:25 pm »

Do they kill when they feed? Or does the victim just suffer from blood loss and turn pale or something?

How is spawning new vampires handled? Do all victims become new vampires?

Are vampires considered "your" units for purposes of the fortress being destroyed? That is to say, if you entire population of regular dwarves turns into vampires, does the game end?

I can see real problems if there's a "vampire-plosion." Even if the fort doesn't end, if there are no regular dwarves to feed on, what happens to the vampires? Do they all just wither away and die?

Migrants my friend, migrants....
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 02:17:52 am »

But then the civ dies out o_O

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 02:21:07 am »

And eventually, if the migrants keep dying, they will start avoiding the fort.

Perhaps there's some way to have a few vampires raising a hundred or so dwarves like livestock.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 02:32:18 am »

Problems with vampires: 1) They will accuse other dwarfs of being vampire 2) They can't feed from other vampires, so at some point vampires will outnumber regular dwarfs and even new migrants can't help in that. So that will result vampires suffering from lack of drinking 3) Wouldn't they still pretend to be vampires even when whole fortress is full of them? So they would still move as slowly as regular dwarfs.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 03:18:26 am »

Problems with vampires: 1) They will accuse other dwarfs of being vampire 2) They can't feed from other vampires, so at some point vampires will outnumber regular dwarfs and even new migrants can't help in that. So that will result vampires suffering from lack of drinking 3) Wouldn't they still pretend to be vampires even when whole fortress is full of them? So they would still move as slowly as regular dwarfs.

Did Toady intentionally make it so Vampires are like The Thing?

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 04:29:27 am »

I hope everyones wrong about vampires and they are a dangerous thing to have around,
Other wise, Normal dwarves will just end up being cattle for Elite dwarves [vampires]
Which does not please me.
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 05:40:08 am »

Vampires should automatically be made hammerer.

Because something something !!SCIENCE!!  8)
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 04:08:58 pm »

Vampires should automatically be made hammerer.

Because something something !!SCIENCE!!  8)

EVERYONE BUT ME IS A VAMPIRE!!!
*Smash smash smash*

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 04:45:03 pm »

I hope everyones wrong about vampires and they are a dangerous thing to have around,
Other wise, Normal dwarves will just end up being cattle for Elite dwarves [vampires]

As noted previously:

1) Vampires can't increase their skills
2) Vampires can kill your legendary normal dwarves
3) Forts with lots of vampires will eventually deplete your population of normal dwarves, thus running out of food
4) IIRC, vampires that haven't drunk in a while won't die, but rather get significant stat and skill penalties.
5) The particular strain of vampires infesting your fort may be vulnerable to a material commonly used by your enemies.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

PotatoOverdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 05:37:38 pm »

As noted previously:

1) Vampires can't increase their skills

2) Vampires can kill your legendary normal dwarves
3) Forts with lots of vampires will eventually deplete your population of normal dwarves, thus running out of food
4) IIRC, vampires that haven't drunk in a while won't die, but rather get significant stat and skill penalties.
5) The particular strain of vampires infesting your fort may be vulnerable to a material commonly used by your enemies.

The bolded part is NOT true. They can't increase their attributes, but they CAN increase their skills.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2012, 05:44:46 pm »

About sleep, this would make too easy to spot vampires. I bet they can pretend to sleep. I find it strange no one thought about that, considering rest of masquerade: fake personality, purposefully walking slow etc.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]