Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: This is why I love DF  (Read 8965 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This is why I love DF
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 09:23:47 am »

The proper answer to vampire accusations:

imprison both of the people involved. Do not feed and do not water them. The one who shows signs of dehydration is the dwarf.

... if both of them show signs of dehydration I don't know what to do though. :( burn everything?

Correct solution: Do feed and beer them. The one that shows signs of dehydration is the vampire.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 12:53:20 pm »

The proper answer to vampire accusations:

imprison both of the people involved. Do not feed and do not water them. The one who shows signs of dehydration is the dwarf.

... if both of them show signs of dehydration I don't know what to do though. :( burn everything?

Correct solution: Do feed and beer them. The one that shows signs of dehydration is the vampire.

This!
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

grimman007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 01:22:39 pm »

As luck would have it, 50 hammer strikes should just be enough to weed out the bad ones.

As for practically every single other Dwarf in the fort... Yep. 50. 50 is good for their health.
Oh, THAT'S what I've been doing wrong. I thought 20 was good enough. But if I did 50, they wouldn't get infected.
Urist's Mod! Spawnable NPCs include bogeymen, bronze colossi and a random Forgotten Beast, generated on the fly and animated for your vomit.  Also magma.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 01:56:51 pm »

Will Vampires get along with each other? recall the suspicious zombies in the necromancers tower; some undead might be territorial.

Epic bug moment when two vampires try to eat each other :D
They can't. Vampires only feed on sleeping victims and don't need to sleep.

foul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 02:05:36 pm »

Will Vampires get along with each other? recall the suspicious zombies in the necromancers tower; some undead might be territorial.

Epic bug moment when two vampires try to eat each other :D
They can't. Vampires only feed on sleeping victims and don't need to sleep.

So the dwarf who never sleeps is the vampire?

PotatoOverdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 12:14:03 am »

So wait....they don't sleep (never too sleepy to pull a lever, build a fortress saving wall, etc.), they're stronger and tougher than regular dwarves, they don't drink up the booze stockpile, AND they get rid of useless migrants? What exactly is the downside?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 12:51:09 am »

What I want to know is if they can cross running water.  Good fun to be had with that if they cant

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 10:54:01 am »

What I want to know is if they can cross running water.  Good fun to be had with that if they cant
Since vampire are going to be random, I guess there is a chance someone will get a vampire that is destroyed by water.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 01:55:37 pm »

So wait....they don't sleep (never too sleepy to pull a lever, build a fortress saving wall, etc.), they're stronger and tougher than regular dwarves, they don't drink up the booze stockpile, AND they get rid of useless migrants? What exactly is the downside?

They're dirty vampires that are almost as bad as elves, and make regular hard working Dwarves look bad. Oh and they accidentally the legendary weaponsmith :/

PotatoOverdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 05:38:13 pm »

They're dirty vampires that are almost as bad as elves, and make regular hard working Dwarves look bad. Oh and they accidentally the legendary weaponsmith :/

What if the vampire is the legendary weaponsmith?

Before DF2012: Its possible to have an army of nothing but wardogs OR we could feed the wardogs to the dwarves, and use the dog bones to make armor and weapons for the dwarven military.

After DF2012: Its possible to have an army of nothing but dwarves OR we could feed the dwarves to the vampires, and use the dwarf bones to make armor and weapons for the vampire military.

Seeing as the vampires are tougher, stronger, and don't sleep I still don't see the problem. And honestly I'd rather kill the dwarf weaponsmith and train a vampire into legendary weaponsmith if said vampire will never sleep and forge weapons all day long.

Edit: The REAL question is whether vampires will throw tantrums. If they don't throw tantrums, then all dwarfs in my fort will be relegated to the role of chattel and haulers.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 05:40:42 pm by PotatoOverdose »

Jimmy T. Malice

• Bay Watcher
  • The severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 11:57:03 am »

The vampires will probably have some random weaksauce weakness. Apart from the running water thing, maybe they have a weakness to wood (you know, stakes and all) so they can't fight elves effectively. Also, didn't Toady say something about vampires not having the [CAN_LEARN] tag?
Urist McDorf cancels Pull lever: not that bloody stupid

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 03:37:45 pm »

The vampires will probably have some random weaksauce weakness. Apart from the running water thing, maybe they have a weakness to wood (you know, stakes and all) so they can't fight elves effectively. Also, didn't Toady say something about vampires not having the [CAN_LEARN] tag?
I don't recall ever seein that last part, but any vampire that is weak to wood should be offed as soon as he/she is discovered.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Balistic604

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 03:44:47 pm »

I believe he said that attributes would be locked for vampires iirc.
Dwarf Fortress: The only place you'll find complaints about NOT dying.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 03:50:06 pm »

Death by Hammer.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 03:59:12 pm »

Death by Hammer.

Which he forged...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4