Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random bandits  (Read 734 times)

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
Random bandits
« on: January 28, 2012, 01:22:44 pm »

Ok, so i am playing as an adventurer and all. So me and my band of 10 companions get a quest to kill an ex captain of the guard for the humans, no joke. Anyways, were half way there when it turns night, so we go ahead and sleep. We are awaken by the same captain of the guard guy i was sent to kill, he ends up killing all but me and my human bowman. We are able to defend ourselves nicely until 10-bagillion(there were a fucking lot) of badgers comeout of no where and end up killing all the bandits and leave us alone. I checked my quests and it appears that the guy i had to kill died by badgers. So, two questions.
1. Why did the guy i had to kill, attack me and not the other way around?
2. Wtf is with the random badgers?
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Random bandits
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 01:37:21 pm »

1. Bandit groups will attack you if they come across you. He probably wasn't attacking you specifically, just defending his territory/raiding travelers.
2. They were just random badgers. Badgers are hardcore.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 01:39:50 pm »

I thought bandits that attack you, arent quest bandits? I could be wrong on this point. Another thing, i wasnt even close to his camp, i was atleast, 35-40 fast travel tiles away.  ???
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:59:20 pm »

I have been attacked by quest target bandits many times while adventuring, sometimes fairly far from their camp.  I've also been randomly attacked by quest target wild animals while just walking around.  It happens.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:06:12 pm »

Huh, seems like a feature that i didnt know about. I guess when your reputation is high enough, shit just happens. Well thanks guys, big help.  :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 02:34:40 pm »

2. Wtf is with the random badgers?

You have encountered the phenomenon that is known as badger county.

Urist McSockLover has alerted the horde!

FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 03:57:15 pm »

Urist McFisher has started to fish
Badger boar has become enraged
Urist McFisher cancels fish: interupted by badger
Urist McFisher is struck down
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 02:14:48 am »

Then again, my ass has been saved many times in Adventurer mode by wild animals. Srsly.
Polar Bears raged hardcore on this MASSIVE group of raiders that attacked me and my four mates.
They raped them all, but they were also seriously wounded. So the two charged me, and promptly bled to death at my feet.
I walked away like a bawse.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 07:00:59 am »

Know, that many monsters and bandit parties roam in a small perimeter from their place until an adventurer stops by their camp/dwelling.

Also, you just ran into a random pack of wild animals-- badgers even! Good thing they did not attack you. You do not want to be on the end of a berserk animal with sharp teeth and jagged claws. Packs of wild animals roam in the wild, according to their biome. Not random, your survival though, is.  :D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 02:01:14 pm »

I think that the coolest time I was ever saved by random chance was when I was attacked by about 15 bandits when I was virtually alone (apparently my four legless crossbowmen with no bolts counted for something :P). Fearing for my impending doom, suddenly like 40 skeletal carp emerged as a roiling horde from the river we were all standing next to and promptly slaughtered all of the bandits (along with my legless crossbowmen). I'm not really sure what I should of done, but after taking a look at some 25+ skeletal carp coming towards me I got out of there like a bat out of hell before they caught me.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 02:43:27 pm »

I think that the coolest time I was ever saved by random chance was when I was attacked by about 15 bandits when I was virtually alone (apparently my four legless crossbowmen with no bolts counted for something :P). Fearing for my impending doom, suddenly like 40 skeletal carp emerged as a roiling horde from the river we were all standing next to and promptly slaughtered all of the bandits (along with my legless crossbowmen). I'm not really sure what I should of done, but after taking a look at some 25+ skeletal carp coming towards me I got out of there like a bat out of hell before they caught me.
Too bad they killed you too.