Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are we there yet...?  (Read 2046 times)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Are we there yet...?
« on: January 28, 2012, 12:00:44 pm »

After reading what ThreeToe wrote on the main page...
I'm so pumped up. I'm not sure if I'll go for Dwarf mode or adventure mode first, but I want to get my hands on it now!!
But there is one major problem... Whenever a new content packed version shows up, several bug fix versions follow...
Will you get it as soon as it shows up, or will you rather wait for the fixed versions?

Also:"...Another thing I noticed, but I hesitate to promise anything, is that the game runs way faster than before."
*nerdgasm*
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Are we there yet...?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »

I'll tear into the new version like a wolf tears into a fresh kill.

Bugfixes be damned!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:41:48 pm »

Playing the bug riddled version might be more fun than playing a later release. I remember Toady describing a bug where you could talk to your own severed arm. Who knows what other bugs will come up. Maybe your arm could become a vampire, and then come to your fortress as a migrant.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 12:43:18 pm »

Discovering new bugs features is part of the fun though!

Imagine, two necromancers show up at the same time, so that when you kill one, the other just raises it again. (Though mummies might be a better test of this...)

Or purposefully trying to find ways to glitch dynamic item generation of towns?

Causing general mayhem in worlds with adventure mode due to the all historic character migrants in dwarf mode? (Eg, cause epic terror prior to making a new fortress.)

What happens if you succeed in initiating a tantrum spiral in a game generated fortress in adv mode? Etc...

Clockwise Onions

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:03:57 pm »

DF's bugs are always so amusing so I'll jump at it when I see it. If the game actually does run a little faster my head will explode.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 01:09:50 pm »

I'm getting more and more pumped for every update on the development i've seen. :P

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »

I'll DL the new version, but I'll keep the current one in a different folder just in case there's some gamebreaking bugs in the new version.

Aside from that...

Bugfixes be damned!

This. Except it'll be like a Weredirewolf into a hapless dwarf (I intend to mod Direwolves into the new version, because I recently started the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, and if possible, I intend to make Weredirewolves).

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 03:15:39 pm »

I will play it religiously and report all the bugs like a good little dwarf. Man do I want this new release.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 03:28:40 pm »

Wait for bugfixes to new version. After that wait for general bugfixes. After that wait till LNP updates to the newest version.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 03:32:11 pm »

Bugfixes be damned!
Aye! I can hardly wait! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »

On the one hand, I'm going to love this next update. On the other, however, I'll need to completely rehash my slade testing...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 03:49:26 pm »

To me there are three types of bugs:

Game-breakers (such as new migrant wave = crash to desktop): Obviously these suck.

Random bland but irritating bugs (such as not having bones be sortable into piles): These suck but aren't the end of the world and its good to play and find these cause that is the only way they'll get fixed.

Awesome/Hilarious bugs (such as rain melting dwarves, or [creature] being extremely overpowered): These are fun, though sometimes gamebreaking, heck some get left in as features.

All in all I'll play cause first off that is the way we find and then correct bugs but also I am curious to see the new stuff.  I haven't played DF in a while now but am looking for an excuse to get back in.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 04:01:43 pm »

Speaking of FUN, don't forget to visit the forum and share your stories! This version will have a new set of animals just waiting to kill everything between the map edge and your food stockpile! :D
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 04:31:40 pm »

I can't wait for the new release! My only hope/fear though is that Dwarf Therapist isn't updated along with the release... the creator has been missing since June 12 of last year, so I just hope that if he doesn't return to update the version that somebody new steps up and makes the next version function correctly.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 04:43:47 pm »

I loved that the vampire took 50 hammer strokes and lived, in the official post. Vampire overlord army here I come!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2