Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaim projects?  (Read 874 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Reclaim projects?
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:56:33 am »

While sifting through the wonderful history of DF's Let's Plays, I stumbled upon Swordthunders.
I decided, having been playing for a little over 2 months or so and being able to hold my own in a basic fort (until marksgobs show up anyway) I figure "What the hell? Might as well."

I all i ask, to those who played it before it's abandonment: WHAT IN GODS NAME IS THIS UNHOLY ABOMINATION!?

I was expecting ghosts out the ass. Check.
I was expecting maurading animal people. Check.
I was expecting hidden Cavern Titans. Check.
I wasn't expecting the fucking ocean of discarded ammo, armor, clothing, dead everything
And so much junk laying about I had no idea what the fuck was what. Where the fuck did all this....

I've readied my Dwarves, they are of strong heart, and armed, but I fear the maybe 20 max immigrants I'll get (It seems that this place depopulated all of dwarven kind) will be insufficent.
And you know what. if I can figure out how to cure this FPS death I'm suffering, much fun will be had. i only pray me dorfs die quickly rather than some kind of FB rot or lung cancer or something. It's so boring watching dorfs die of dehydration cause no-one thought to bring them water (or everyone ablebodied died)

So I figured as a gesture of good faith with my Bay 12 entry, I would ask what nightmare reclaim projects are the rest of you guys doing I'm almost positive we've all got or had one; or some of us may even be doing the same ones without knowing it.

Current sitrep

The basic keys, a group of merchants turned reclaimers, stumbled upon the famed ruins of Swordthunders. Having all served at one time or another, they decided to brave this hell to see what riches could be had. The seven grabbed thier weapons when they stopped the wagons and looked about the scene.

Items, munitions, and skeletons were strewn about, a ghostly call emminating from the fortress.
As the brave squad of guardsdwarves approached, a piercing scream was heard, when a great feathery lizard leapt forth from the pool in the front of the fortress!

It was called Ab, and it struck first! It's intended victim however, Urist Kosothsazir, was a veteran of many an ambush and knew how to fight great beasts! He ducked the swing of it's claw and punched it in the side, fracturing it's rib!The beats howled, enraged but was met by a spear tip to the gut and a battleaxe to the chest! More kicks and punches followed from the leader, and the rest of the hardy fighters piled on!

Spear met flesh, axe met bone, and fist crushed scale in the swirling melee! Wether the beast was simply weakened by the sun or sheer, luck, the dwarves had been successful thus far...

"Bring it down! We'll avenge our lost bretheren here comrades!" Urist shouted over grunts, screeches, and the sounds of tearing flesh! "WHY! WONT! YOU! DIE!" Rad Tadadil, one of two former miners of the group, bellowed as he dug into not earth, but beast flesh with his pick axe, and with a mighty roar, he smashed it into the beast's eye, tearing it asunder! one of the two speardwarves, both taken by sheer fury, stabbed and bashed as rapidly as thier frames would allow, many nearly felling the beast with a near fatal stab to the head knocking the great beast to it's back, before a bash to the face fractured it's skull.

And yet, it fought on.

Will my dorfs defeat Ab and Swordthunder's other horrors? Thus far it might be yes, at least with Ab since the worst injury so far is a speardorf with a brusied shin and Ab only got in three attacks under the hail of axes, picks, spears, and fists. Good thing he had pants on or his leg probably would have melted off. But seriously, a miner gouged it's eye out, it's spine is fractured in three places, all the ribs on one side are broken, it's skull is broken in several spots from spear shafts to the head, and it's short a lung. How much can this fucking thing take?

Now then, What have the rest of you done, are doing, or planning to recalim?
And pardon my poor story telling. Not a great writer but I wanted to add a little entertainment to this.

Scratch that, now it's got two damaged lungs and another skull fracture and a shattered leg.

EDIT: SUCCESS! Ab is dead! Cause of death was suffocation from one axe wrecked lung and a spear punctured other lung. The absolute worst injuries were a bruised lung and heart. No dead dwarves. The kill was awarded to Ingish Aludzuglar, Speardorf/woodcutter. Also the one who was hit most often with multiple bruises and likely spared from horrible FB rot thanks to some leather pants. For his efforts, they have he has become Indafatigably mighty, slow to tire, and quick to heal.

An FB composed of water attacked, and the expidition leader promply severed it's head with one punch.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Reclaim projects?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 01:17:51 pm »

Bloody hell, you're reclaiming Swordthunders successfully? You killed Ab?

GTF OVER HERE NOW

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 01:36:08 pm »

Killed Ab, sox, and bunch of other nasty critters, though there was massive clusterfuck and 3 of my dwarves died, and there's a pterosaur FB terrorizing my livestock but otherwise hasnt killed anything.

Ab wasn't much of a threat really. He got maybe 7 attacks in total.

edit: Seems Sox rot is a more frietening thing than a horde of solid FBs that spew fire and webs.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:51:17 pm »

Indeed it is. One of my reclaimers was laying unconscious for the better part of 5 months with an unholy amount of blisters all over her body due to Sox's syndrome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:53:39 pm »

I thought I had things under control, but alas my reclaim has failed and more must be sent.