Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megaprojects that never saw the light of day  (Read 2966 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Megaprojects that never saw the light of day
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:23:28 am »

I was once designing a tower that was going to be my fort. It was going to have a lever in the top room that would make it crash down into magma. After completing about 2 percent of it (not even a complete room), I had used well over twenty thousand stones. I decided to quit there, as it was going to take far too long to make. What are some of your failed megaprojects?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:46:27 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Megaprojects that never saw the light of day
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 08:40:23 am »

Mega arena plated with candy, rose gold and bronze. Construction abandoned due to nicely timed GIANT BADGER TO THE FACE.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 08:50:04 am »

Making a vessel that fell into a volcano to sink to the bottom with included supplies to live down there and explore (And hopefully dig down and under the volcano etc).. It failed because I could never figure out how to make the vessel such that all the dwarves didn't just explode when it reached the bottom.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 08:54:32 am »

Making a vessel that fell into a volcano to sink to the bottom with included supplies to live down there and explore (And hopefully dig down and under the volcano etc).. It failed because I could never figure out how to make the vessel such that all the dwarves didn't just explode when it reached the bottom.
Filling it with water after teaching your dorfs how to swim (just make sure it's not 7/7) might help. I think it will help if the thing has 3 levels of water instead of 1.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:00:56 am »

Giant 77x77xhowever many z levels I could get cast obsidian monolith. All smoothed as it's being cast. Kept running into issues with getting it through cavern lakes and digging was taking a horrific amount of time. Then there magma pump stack kinks.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 10:03:17 am »

The only megaproject i attempted was filling a large crater with magma and a tower jutting out of the center. That bit was completed, the megafortress beneath it was still a shambolic mud pit for rapid storage purposes before i pierced the wrong hole and flooded. I'm sure theres a thread about it somewhere...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94822.msg2689458#msg2689458

Turns out i got bored, it didn't flood. How lazy of me
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:09:50 am by Wannazzaki »
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:34:27 am »

A massive above ground church made from kimberlite, I had to stop halfway through as I had run out of the red stone, also I couldn't see a realistic way if adding the roof without huge scaffolding ahd

Shame really I even had a large number of high quality gold statues of the dwarvern gods, a small sacrifice arena and catacombs for the dead.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 11:04:29 am »

Once constructed a floor for a bottomless chasm. Figured I'd turn it into a swimming pool. Filled the thing with water. Took several years. It was not long after that I learned that dwarfs are incapable of crossing z-levels when swimming. I was so bummed out. Not going to build anything big again.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:14:04 am »

Tower of babylon whose edges would serve as my fortress. The tower would be built from solid rock blocks.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 11:33:11 am »

Tower with heating. I've always wanted to construct towers, and I have made working waterfall systems. However, hollow walls and floors filled with magma to give dwarves warm rooms, to be used as primary living areas, proved too frustrating.

Another one was magma streetlights for the undercity I was building. Ie: magma trapped inside gem windows on a pillar. I constructed one and called it a day.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 12:43:47 pm »

I've wanted to do this for a long time, but never get around to setting it up. The idea is to create actual gladiators by having a dwarf attack a dwarven merchant. You then arm two of them, toss them in an arena, and watch them fight to the death.
I'm just too lazy to set up the necessary infrastructure for it q;

Clockwise Onions

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 01:01:03 pm »

I built a giant magma burning pool outside my front gates for goblin sieges. I was also going to build a huge archer tower that enclosed the stack so that my dwarves could rain down bolts into burning goblins and elves. (Migrants would only be burned unfortunately). It had magma-safe bridges and mechanisms to seal off the unwary victims, a 120-level magma pump stack that poked out a few levels above the ground, many water reactors, and a partial enclosure so trolls wouldn't destroy it on its test run. Unfortunately, I never built the archer tower that was supposed to completely enclose the pump stack. The thing worked, but DF crashed every time I turned it on with temperature enabled. :/ Then I realized I could have simply flooded the tank with water from the river that was next to the entrance and achieved the same effect as when temperature was off but much easier.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 09:03:50 pm »

Tried to make a magma moat in 40d.  Made a moat.  Made a wall.  Didn't bother with the magma.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 09:15:37 pm »

Tried making an artificial Volcano for my dwarves, iit ended in a magma of a good time with burnt walls and dead dwarves everywhere. Only one dwarf survived, he ended up going all buildy and made the rest of the volcano on his own, taking a total of 4 years, since no migrants ever came. He died placing the last 4 stones in the wall, he died by natural means. (He litterally died by old age, he was 130 at death.  :P )
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 10:23:19 pm »

Before the 2010 version I hollowed out the top of a mountain and tried fill it with water as a doomsday weapon, unfortunately the pump part of the plan was just too difficult to power continuously.

It's probably a good thing I never got it to work, it would have taken several in game year to fill and would have destroyed the frame rate once active
Pages: [1] 2