Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many rejected worlds?  (Read 1154 times)

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
How many rejected worlds?
« on: January 28, 2012, 07:32:04 am »

How many rejected worlds have you had, maybe when genning a personal world using advanced parameters?
Me, over 2500, then I gave up :-\
What about you?
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
Re: How many rejected worlds?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 07:46:59 am »

Usually between 4 and 0. I spent a lot of time tweaking the parameters. You should turn on logging map rejections and try to pinpoint what's causing the rejections and fix it.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 07:58:34 am »

I once had one I genned to over 16,000 rejected worlds, learned a lot about how to make maps like sol from it :p

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 08:02:04 am »

Heh yeah, getting your biome sets to match up neatly with you elevation, rain fall, etc. min/max values can be a chore.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 08:21:33 am »

Never get more than 150 before the game asks "Want me to make this world regardless of errors and maybe it won't ve a legends only world?" then i say yes and play it.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 08:40:04 am »

I left DF running while I slept with my OCD advanced parameters. Woke up and it was still trying to create a world.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 01:18:17 pm »

I usually don't go overboard with the advanced generation settings, so I think the most I've gotten was 8. Most of the time I'm just looking for volcanoes and mountains, plus sheer cliffs and rivers. The Island of Socks is my first world for this, though I messed up a little with the megabeasts and titans, which is why I haven't run into any yet. :/

My next world is going to make sure that there's at least a hundred megabeasts left for the game, though I might have to turn erosion off completely if I want cliffs -and- full-sized dragons.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:31:14 pm by Elifre »
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 01:59:09 pm »

How do you turn erosion off?
That gives me evil ideas :3
MUHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 02:33:01 pm »

How do you turn erosion off?
That gives me evil ideas :3
MUHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
In advanced world generation, set erosion at 0. I usually go between 25-100 depending on how sheer I want cliffs to be.

Oh, and you can also make sure that cliffs are sheer by turning off automatic cliff erosion. The one downside to this is that you might not have a way to climb a mountain and will have to build ramps, or dig your way up from the inside.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 02:39:23 pm »

In advanced world generation, set erosion at 0. I usually go between 25-100 depending on how sheer I want cliffs to be.

Oh, and you can also make sure that cliffs are sheer by turning off automatic cliff erosion. The one downside to this is that you might not have a way to climb a mountain and will have to build ramps, or dig your way up from the inside.

Yes, but it's so dwarfy it's worth it.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.