Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: We're too late, Obama signed ACTA  (Read 43214 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: We're too late, Obama signed ACTA
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2012, 12:07:07 am »

That would seem to me more like a collaborative effort, rather than simply being lead.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2012, 12:21:26 am »

I guess I should have read more emphasis on "such a revolution".
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2012, 12:56:54 am »

At this point all I'd need is someone to lead me.

And that, my friend, is why any attempt at such a revolution would be in vain.

No.  This why crowd-sourced and consensus-based models of organization via mass communications technology work.  People no longer need a leader in the traditional sense, just broadcast discussion.  People will act when a course of action is suggested that they agree with and have the capability to contribute to.  I'm pretty sure that the only way a modern revolution could happen is via prolonged series of spontaneous collective actions that can't be easily shut down.
Like Anonymous, but without all the asshattery and lulz?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2012, 01:12:21 am »

At this point all I'd need is someone to lead me.

And that, my friend, is why any attempt at such a revolution would be in vain.

No.  This why crowd-sourced and consensus-based models of organization via mass communications technology work.  People no longer need a leader in the traditional sense, just broadcast discussion.  People will act when a course of action is suggested that they agree with and have the capability to contribute to.  I'm pretty sure that the only way a modern revolution could happen is via prolonged series of spontaneous collective actions that can't be easily shut down.
Like Anonymous, but without all the asshattery and lulz?

Exactly like Anonymous, who produces results according to their culture.  Other groups will produce different results.  This is basically how the Occupy movement started.  Some people said "Hey we should do this" in a very niche political magazine... and people did it.  No direct leadership involved.  The suggestion was just put out there, a couple hundred people decided it was a good idea, and just showed up.  Then more people decided on their own to join in over time.  Within the movement itself, people would make suggestions to the group, and those who thought the idea was good would act on it.

I believe the way technology has changed memetics is going to fundamentally alter the way human social behavior and society as a whole functions.  The only way it can be stopped is by exerting destructive amounts of control over use of mass communications by the general population.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2012, 01:18:39 am »

Hence what we're seeing with all these "Censor the Internet" bills. It's not that the governments are afraid of technology. They're afraid of the peasants getting uppity.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2012, 01:26:10 am »

What I don't understand is why they are trying to make the peasants less uppity by making them more uppity. It's like, trying to stop a house fire by putting more sections on fire.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2012, 01:28:53 am »

Well, I guess if you burn the entire house down, you don't have to worry about putting the fire out.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2012, 01:28:59 am »

They are trying to burninate the countryside until nobody's left to go uppity. And then, once the world's a barren wasteland, they go home knowing that they have another job well done.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2012, 01:37:40 am »

Well, I guess if you burn the entire house down, you don't have to worry about putting the fire out.
Problem is, the house is the country. If the country gets entirely burned, they go down with it. If they leave it, then they don't own anything. Both are the things they do not want.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2012, 01:39:49 am »

Tarran, don't you understand? Their job is to kill you!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2012, 01:44:39 am »

Right. If they were trying to kill me they'd go on a killing spree with an AK47. Or an RPG. Or a nuke.

...How many politicians so far have gone on killing sprees again?

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2012, 01:51:19 am »

I'm willing to apply Hanlon's razor in this situation. As short sighted as this is, I doubt this is some kind of conspiricy by the Man to bring us down

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2012, 01:53:59 am »

Hanlons razor is for pity, I propose my own razor!
Where ignorance can me mistaken for malice, there is no difference between the two.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2012, 03:21:05 am »

I honestly think they believe that they can buy their way out of any situation, no matter how bad it is.  If they fuck up one country, they can hop in their private jets and go elsewhere.  Even if they destroy the world with their megalomania, at least they'll be the last ones to suffer for it.  Most probably believe they'll have lived out their lives before anything they do comes back around to them.

And I'm not talking about some shadowy global conspiracy, but the powerful do have their own culture that is very disconnected from everyone else's, along its own common interests.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2012, 03:24:34 pm »

"Screw the peasants I have money!"

Seems right.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20