Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: We're too late, Obama signed ACTA  (Read 43179 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: We're too late, Obama signed ACTA
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 07:15:44 am »

He made mistakes all the time and regretted them. And he'll keep regretting them, too.

Seriously, what's this bullshit about regretting mistakes? That's a lame copout if I ever saw one.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 07:31:32 am »

I don't know, there's something refreshing about a politician having some grain of humbleness

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 07:34:08 am »

Odd, I thought Obama opposed ACTA. There is a petition to stop ACTA on whitehouse.gov and whatnot.

Guess it's too late now, just have to ride out the storm and see how it turns out. Hopefully it's not actually going to destroy the internet.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 08:49:31 am »

*Looks at our avatars*
I'll get started on some pixel art, hopefully somebody around here is good at drawing for those that are after a truly retro avatar.
Wot?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 08:53:51 am »

Australia already has proposed some strict internet laws. Remember the black list? Your government will probably pass ACTA regardless. We probably are too late, but hell, we're not going to just let the internet die in secret like that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 10:36:45 am »

... okay, One: here. The larger ACTA thread. ACTA's been an issue since around 2006, when it was initially begun to be considered between the USA and Japan.. That thread started up in '09.

Two: ACTA was signed by the US back around October/September of last year. Whether Obama signed it or not was fairly irrelevant, it was already in effect. Actually checking the article now, yeah, it mentions the back-in-October thing. It... also wasn't actually Obama that signed the damn thing. It was one of our ambassadors, iirc. Doesn't change the force of the thing, but yeah.

Three: ACTA is a treaty. It's not law. That doesn't make it not frakking horrific, but it does mean that it's toothless by itself. The problem is when actual laws enabling ACTAs enforcement get through. If and when they do, they will be impossible to remove from the law books until the US backs out of the treaty, even if the hypothetical law is found to be unconstitutional, even if there is an absolute majority of the population against it. Incidentally for the states, that's what SOPA/PIPA and a number of other laws that are trying to get through is. They're means of activating ACTA.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 11:19:00 am »

I personally think we should hijack a battle ship or something and take over Madascgar. No sitty goverments and if they try to attack us we can point out all the eclogical damage they will wreck on the world.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 11:24:11 am »

I personally think we should hijack a battle ship or something and take over Madascgar. No sitty goverments and if they try to attack us we can point out all the eclogical damage they will wreck on the world.

I should probably point out that taking over Madagascar could possibly lead to huge ecological damage to the world.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 11:32:37 am »

I should probably point out that taking over Madagascar could possibly lead to huge ecological damage to the world.
Think of it as a challenging embark.
So I'm confused.  Did Obama put his name on ACTA or not?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 11:41:14 am »

Whatever happened to investing in some aircraft carriers that were on sale?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 11:42:55 am »

So I'm confused.  Did Obama put his name on ACTA or not?
It's considered an "executive agreement" according to that article, so it basically doesn't matter whether he did or did not specifically put his name on the treaty. It's being enforced by the branch of government he's at the top of and a big enough deal that he pretty much cannot be ignorant of it. It went through with his approval, even if not specifically with his signature.

I haven't seen a list of names specifically put on the treaty, though. Considering the continuing refusals to bring the negotiations into public purview, it might be a bit before that comes out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 11:55:50 am »

... okay, One: here. The larger ACTA thread. ACTA's been an issue since around 2006, when it was initially begun to be considered between the USA and Japan.. That thread started up in '09.

Two: ACTA was signed by the US back around October/September of last year. Whether Obama signed it or not was fairly irrelevant, it was already in effect. Actually checking the article now, yeah, it mentions the back-in-October thing. It... also wasn't actually Obama that signed the damn thing. It was one of our ambassadors, iirc. Doesn't change the force of the thing, but yeah.

Three: ACTA is a treaty. It's not law. That doesn't make it not frakking horrific, but it does mean that it's toothless by itself. The problem is when actual laws enabling ACTAs enforcement get through. If and when they do, they will be impossible to remove from the law books until the US backs out of the treaty, even if the hypothetical law is found to be unconstitutional, even if there is an absolute majority of the population against it. Incidentally for the states, that's what SOPA/PIPA and a number of other laws that are trying to get through is. They're means of activating ACTA.

This, this, this. For those of us in the U.S., our goal now is to fight tooth and nail to prevent the passage of any SOPA/PIPA-equivalent bills.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 01:40:36 pm »

So, correct me if I'm wrong:

ACTA is basically the same thing as PIPA, just minutely better in some very minor instances.

ACTA can only take affect if other countries agree to jump on board with it, in which case it would be as bad as PIPA except we (The U.S.A and other countries involved) can't pull out of it willy-nilly.

All of this has been happening behind our backs, with diplomats, who are appointed, not elected, making all of the decisions.

And Obama came out and said he opposed PIPA, then turns around and gives its clone a big wet kiss behind closed doors.

...sigh. Please tell me I'm wrong.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 01:57:18 pm »

And Obama came out and said he opposed PIPA, then turns around and gives its clone a big wet kiss behind closed doors.

Obviously this is going to develop into some juicy political love drama.

NEXT WEEK, ON LOVE IN THE WHITE-HOUSE...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:20:50 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 02:27:31 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20