Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43

Author Topic: Ahhh I can not take it anymore! I would like the new DF release!  (Read 94573 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: Ahhh I can not take it anymore! I would like the new DF release!
« Reply #285 on: February 07, 2012, 05:17:55 pm »

I can't believe it's over a year. I remember the last release so clearly. Oh where did that time go. I might not know that but I know where my time hoes after this release.  :P

And now the long awaited wednesday is here. Release or self immolation. 2 options.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 07, 2012, 05:28:26 pm »

The last release was in the end of march 2011. Less than a year ago.

People forget that it's probable we won't have several months of bugfixing this time. There was no great rewrite this time, as it was the case of the inclusion of the Z-level and in DF 2010.

We will have many bugs for sure, but I don't think the game will be in a state as bad as in 31.01.

Logen910

• Bay Watcher
  • Biting people to death since 126,000 B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 07, 2012, 05:38:41 pm »

I think DF2012 will be released within the next 48 hours, exams will be written too, first I party hard and then I turn on dwarf-madness-mode again - best time in my life :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:41:09 pm by Logen910 »
This is a russian player. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with blood, death and pain and encircled with bands of bad grammar mistakes.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 07, 2012, 06:38:37 pm »

Another day goes,
Waiting for the release still.
Can't wait much longer.

I felt like writing this.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 07, 2012, 07:43:23 pm »

Can't hold on much longer...

...must...have...release...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 07, 2012, 08:06:02 pm »

I can't believe it's over a year. I remember the last release so clearly. Oh where did that time go. I might not know that but I know where my time hoes after this release.  :P

I read this and thought "Holy shit, did I just Rip Van Winkle a month away?"

And now the long awaited wednesday is here. Release or self immolation. 2 options.

I thought the plan was less "self immolation" and more "Dig to the centre of the earth and build Project FTW".
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #291 on: February 07, 2012, 08:52:53 pm »

And ramps... this change was deliberate. It lowers chances of having glorious Fun

FTFY. There's all these complex and unituitive things in the game right now, yet Toady chose channels to make kid-friendly? I make damn sure that my Dwarves are safe when i'm making channels, if i dig them out in such a way that there's be an accident then that implies i'm TRYING to have Fun.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

PlumpHelmetDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 07, 2012, 09:24:06 pm »

I always thought the change to channeling was so you couldn't immediately throw up an anti-invader ditch if a siege caught you off guard. Though there are other ways to deal with that anyway. Greatly looking forward to the next version. Hoping it's sooner rather than later, but after ~a year what's a few more days or weeks?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2012, 09:41:57 pm »

The release history doesn't support that claim either.

"several months of bugfixing"
I do not deny how long it took in absolute terms. I claim this is too short time, considering how many bugs are still standing after that.
At least for me it isn't just about bugs so much as just ease of use stuff. Just some simple things to make hauling more logical, the menus more navigable and the ability to tell the dwarves to produce booze (and other goods) if ingredients are available would improve my gameplay experience more than all the Vampires and Necromancers and such. Truthfully if the Eternal Suggestions are anything to go by I am far from alone in this feeling. Bugs are annoying but only a part of what I consider the most annoying things about the game. My biggest problem is that currently large forts end up as an endless cycle of necessary micromanagement that gets boring after a while but can't be 'delegated'. Vampires don't change that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking Mr. Adams or the game. I've been playing on and off it since 40d, I remember a lot of releases and bugfixes. I need no reminders of Mr. Adam's usual release cycle. I'm looking forward to the new features and release, I will play it and I think it will be a better game than the current version.

In the end, this isn't my game and I respect Mr. Adams and his right to take the game wherever he wants and do things in whatever order he wants. But that doesn't mean I have to think that what he is doing and has done over the years are the best things for my personal enjoyment of the game. They aren't. At the end of the day, that's my problem, not his, but it is the case and I can't help but commiserate somewhat with people who feel the same way.
Memento Mori

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:56 pm »

...My biggest problem is that currently large forts end up as an endless cycle of necessary micromanagement that gets boring after a while but can't be 'delegated'. Vampires don't change that....
Well, after listening to some interviews with Toady just now, I think vampires are part of the intended answer, in that your fortress is supposed to fail eventually, because, yeah, once you've built yourself up, there really isn't anything left to do.  Even if fixes were added to make certain jobs auto-complete themselves, it would still be super boring (even more so in fact). 

I think his objective is to make enough potential threats to make late-game fun before bothering to make late-game streamlined. 

This doesn't invalidate your argument of course, but I do think that the challenges simply aren't up to the task of really competing with an entrenched player, so what would you have to do with your time other than micromanage?
where is up?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 07, 2012, 10:32:15 pm »

Well, after listening to some interviews with Toady just now, I think vampires are part of the intended answer, in that your fortress is supposed to fail eventually, because, yeah, once you've built yourself up, there really isn't anything left to do.  Even if fixes were added to make certain jobs auto-complete themselves, it would still be super boring (even more so in fact). 

I think his objective is to make enough potential threats to make late-game fun before bothering to make late-game streamlined. 

This doesn't invalidate your argument of course, but I do think that the challenges simply aren't up to the task of really competing with an entrenched player, so what would you have to do with your time other than micromanage?

That's pretty much where the Army Arc etc comes in.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 07, 2012, 10:51:24 pm »

At what point will Toady decide to merge Fortress mode and Adventure mode. I remember hearing on the radio-cast that is what he wants to eventually do. Is it after the Army Arc, or apart of it?
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55:54 pm »

At what point will Toady decide to merge Fortress mode and Adventure mode. I remember hearing on the radio-cast that is what he wants to eventually do. Is it after the Army Arc, or apart of it?

Nope, he doesnt want to merge them, and can't.

Fort Mode runs 72 times faster then Adventure Mode.

What you're confusing, probably is the Adventure Mode will eventually let you create sites, and maybe even attempt to build a fortress in Adventure Mode. But they'll always be seperate. And building a large sites in Adventure Mode will probably always be impractical.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 07, 2012, 10:59:45 pm »

Nope, he doesnt want to merge them, and can't.

Fort Mode runs 72 times faster then Adventure Mode.

What you're confusing, probably is the Adventure Mode will eventually let you create sites, and maybe even attempt to build a fortress in Adventure Mode. But they'll always be seperate. And building a large sites in Adventure Mode will probably always be impractical.

Ah, ok.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Sarlare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 07, 2012, 11:16:50 pm »

I have a terrible feeling that DF will be released the same day as CK2...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43