Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43

Author Topic: Ahhh I can not take it anymore! I would like the new DF release!  (Read 94512 times)

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ahhh I can not take it anymore! I would like the new DF release!
« Reply #255 on: February 06, 2012, 06:11:50 pm »

5) Work begins on Release 2, which hopefully will take a month or two, not ten(?) like this one.
No, it will take another year. Toady himself admitted he is utterly incapable of exactly following release plans. I just have hope that inevitable feature creep will involve something actually useful (not new features).
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #256 on: February 06, 2012, 06:25:17 pm »

Pffffft, you people think this wait is agonizing?

I've been waiting for moving fortress parts since I heard about them over a year ago. My wait probably isn't even a third done.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 06, 2012, 06:25:47 pm »

No, it will take another year. Toady himself admitted he is utterly incapable of exactly following release plans. I just have hope that inevitable feature creep will involve something actually useful (not new features).

This goes beyond cynicism to paranoia.  Both of the previous long release cycles have been followed by about a year's worth of shorter releases:

This has been the pattern of DF's release schedule since the very beginning: Long wait for version with many new features followed by several months of bugfix releases, repeat.

Well, it's been one of the two patterns.  The other pattern is relatively lightweight releases containing new features in addition to bug fixes.

Let's assume a Feb 1 release.  Together, the long cycles (32a, 31.01, and the upcoming version) will have taken up 800 days, out of the 1638 total days since the first public release.  So it's fair to say that Toady does this about half the time.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:35:10 pm by Footkerchief »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 06, 2012, 06:33:04 pm »

5) Work begins on Release 2, which hopefully will take a month or two, not ten(?) like this one.
Isn't feature creep defined by new features being added? What new features aren't useful? All of the new features, seem to be causing excitement and sparks of inspiration for future play.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #259 on: February 06, 2012, 06:48:00 pm »

What new features aren't useful?

Channels making ramps instead of a full hole if the tile below hasn't been dug out.

Honestly, as far as i can tell DF2012 will well and truly be released THIS month. Toady wouldn't go through the trouble of optimizing everything for public release and then suddenly add in a dozen new stuff which would add even more time to the optimization. He'll wait for the smaller releases afterwards to deal with those things.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 06, 2012, 06:48:53 pm »

I don't think feature creep can NOT involve new features.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 06, 2012, 06:53:07 pm »

Channels making ramps instead of a full hole if the tile below hasn't been dug out.
This isn't a new feature or an expansion on an existing feature, it was a change to an existing feature. Ergo, not feature creep.

Honestly, as far as i can tell DF2012 will well and truly be released THIS month. Toady wouldn't go through the trouble of optimizing everything for public release and then suddenly add in a dozen new stuff which would add even more time to the optimization. He'll wait for the smaller releases afterwards to deal with those things.
Toady has stated in the Dev Logs that he's gong through Optimization for the new content in this release. This includes speeding up World Gen overall, and play in Fort & Adventure mode. This was done, after he stopped adding in new features.
ThreeToes catiously tells us that the game is noticeably faster.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 06, 2012, 07:15:25 pm »

It is set in stone. There will be a mass suicide via self-immolation by magma at midnight on Wednesday if the next version isn't released by then.

Good luck finding magma. Lava is relatively common, but one can't find magma anywhere.

We could always find some tetrahedrite, make a limestone forge and begin making copper picks.

Then, we dig.

And on the 21st of December the demons devour the last human being.

I'd say it's a successful mass suicide if we take the human civilisation down with us!

So that's what the Mayans were talking about, huh?

Well, there's worse ways to go than fighting off hordes of demons.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2012, 07:26:03 pm »

But when will the game be done!?     :p
Eight years.

This semptember, people! ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2012, 09:11:42 pm »

This goes beyond cynicism to paranoia.  Both of the previous long release cycles have been followed by about a year's worth of shorter releases:

This has been the pattern of DF's release schedule since the very beginning: Long wait for version with many new features followed by several months of bugfix releases, repeat.

Well, it's been one of the two patterns.  The other pattern is relatively lightweight releases containing new features in addition to bug fixes.

Let's assume a Feb 1 release.  Together, the long cycles (32a, 31.01, and the upcoming version) will have taken up 800 days, out of the 1638 total days since the first public release.  So it's fair to say that Toady does this about half the time.

In fairness to YetanotherstupidDorf I took his comment to mean that the next big release after this round's bug-fixing/optimization will take a year rather than a few months. If that's what he means then his expectations are in line with my own. I wouldn't go nearly so far as to call the new features useless or uninteresting, though they aren't at all what I would pick to work on or the best choices to improve my particular game experience. That's up to Mr. Adams though, it is his project and it is fairly safe to say that with this large a fanbase whatever he picks will leave some people unhappy.
Memento Mori

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »

I just went back on call and will have absolutely no time to play DF, or for that matter do much of anything other than work and sleep, for another seven days. I will hereby encourage Toady to take this week to polish things up all shiny, and release next week, because I am a selfish git who doesn't want others to have fun if I can't have any. :D

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »

Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2012, 10:02:56 pm »

Silly Gatleos, there is no 13th month! /Australian date system goes day/month/year instead of month/day/year.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:48 pm »

He should do that sometime just to make everybody flip out, and then release it the following day.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2012, 11:35:29 pm »

Silly Gatleos, there is no 13th month! /Australian date system goes day/month/year instead of month/day/year.

Isn't USA only country that uses MM/DD/year system? .-. I mean, are there other countries?

Also, how the heck "Channel makes ramps" thing is useless?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43