Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I have been stricken by an Idea  (Read 5264 times)

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
Re: I have been stricken by an Idea
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 07:22:59 pm »

A MMO version of the old Car Wars tabletop?
NOSTALGIA ATTACK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Seriously, I want this NOW.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 09:15:08 pm »

I want to make a car with sqaure wheels. Why? Because I can. And it will be awesome.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 10:12:48 pm »

I want to make a car with sqaure wheels. Why? Because I can. And it will be awesome.
I hope you have good suspension  :P
Anyway, drills for boring into larger vehicles.
Y'know, in case one faction want's to make a 50-man battleship.
...Said Bloxace.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 07:14:36 am »

Unforunate this doesnt exists and probably never will.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 07:16:00 am »

Unforunate this doesnt exists and probably never will.
Any reason we can't make it a reality?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 11:38:43 am »

Any reason we can't make it a reality?

1) Time.

2) Money.

3) People to do the grunt work.

I am working on a programming degree, but I've got a long ways to get that. I've got a lot of pet project games that I'm planning on working on once I've figured out the difference between my 1's and 0's, but a game of this caliber would require a fair amount of resources and a good understanding of several different systems. You're mingling programming, 3D design, and UI in ways that aren't commonly done in popular games.

Of course, I'm thinking of highly in-depth customization and such. If I could imagine things and have them instantly come true, you'd be able to melt down the wall of a bunker to make a weapon by choosing its barrel length, caliber of its ammunition, the way the ammunition is introduced to the chamber (Bullpup, forward of handle, inside of handle, side-loading, manual insertion, etc), the type of handle, the butt, and even the size and positioning of the three swords you stuck on the front end of it. And then you'd be able to mount the gun on the front of a flying car you made from robots you've killed, and pull it off to use when you crash land in the enemy's floating fortress, only to discover that they've got 12 giant mech units with guns ten times as large as yours. They throw you in the brig, and you start fashioning a shank from the iron bars of your prison, using magic to forge your weapon in the dead of night...

It doesn't have to go that far, but irregardless, not everyone has the kind of programming expertise to do something like that.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 01:06:41 pm »

A MMO version of the old Car Wars tabletop?
NOSTALGIA ATTACK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Seriously, I want this NOW.

This. But he's asking for something more.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 01:24:21 pm »

I know this might be a stupid idea, but it is on the DF forum, so here goes.

Why not forgo the graphics, the source engine crap the UI and make a Ascii car builder?

I'm sure this would be infinitely easier though still difficult and time consuming. But still, design cars, parts of an engine, stick engine in car, rocket, plane, cylinder with no controls.

I'd love such a game.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 01:55:47 pm »

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:23 pm »

:o (quietly drools)

...I've wanted something like this for years. I'm not sure if current 3D engines could handle too much, but maybe...
3D, 2D, whatever. I just want something where I can kill people through sheer force of INVENTION.

I agree that a Steampunk setting/asthetic would work well.
Remember: Physics don't have to be REALISTIC, they just have to be CONSISTANT and INTUITIVE. Simplification is great if it still "feels" right.

Example weapon: Two pipes joined at an angled joint like a lowercase "y". High pressure gas/vapour (probably steam or whatever) goes down the long pipe and out the end. The other is filled with ball-bearings that barely fit. Ventauri effect turns this into a machine gun, as balls are sucked in, accelerated, and projected at the fools outside!

Example engine: electric motor pinned to a rubber cylinder. You have a wheel. Make four and wire the left together, right together. You have drive and steering now.

Example engine 2: Nozzles that shoot aresolized alcahol/oil/whatever over a heated wire make rocket boosters. Place on a hovercraft and profit?

Generaly, what is needed is:

Materials. Rubber, wood, steel, etc.
    Shapes. Primitives, tubes, etc. made out of a material.
        Constraints (a way to stick shapes together)
        Simple actuators/whatever to transform energy from one form to another eg. a motor that is attached to electricity applys torque over a constraint or a piston that is a shape that stretches when attached to a pressurized fluid
Fluids. Water, oil, steam, magma, etc.

A physics engine that can handle rigid body collisions, strong welds, hinges, and do some form of fluid calculations (Pv=nRt for gases transfering, level seeking for liquids) or some abstraction thereof for fuel lines/etc.

Knight of fools? That description gave me tears in my eyes. It's just so tragicly EPIC and matches what I've wished for for so long...
Pages: 1 [2]