Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have been stricken by an Idea  (Read 5272 times)

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
I have been stricken by an Idea
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:30:31 pm »

This idea is simple. A vehicle-construction MMO.
Think of the game Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, that game was fun but was missing something else. And that was large scale human interaction. The multiplayer was did not satisfy that need. I'm thinking of an open world game where vehicles lumber 'round, race each other, maybe a touch of violence. All vehicles custom made by their drivers., of course.
 A few blunt problems with my idea, though. Servers would have to be big and beefy to run; and you couldn't have violence in certain areas, safe areas if you will.
Any thoughts?
...Said Bloxace.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: I have been stricken by an Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:18:50 pm »

That actually does sound pretty fun.  You could go around and scavenge for parts, then build a blimp or submarine or something.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:04:54 am »

Doesn't this game already exist under the name Garry's Mod?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 12:06:15 am »

In theory. In practice I couldn't join a server without downloading 1.2gb of content I already have.

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:14:30 am »

Doesn't this game already exist under the name Garry's Mod?
Not exactly what I had in mind. What I was thinking is a dedicated game with a vehicle builder like Nuts and Bolts had. And a very large world to explore, with large mountains, vast oceans, huge cities...
Oh, yeah! Forgot to mention something. A party system would allow co-pilots and more advanced vehicles, wouldn't it? Like
"x player has invited you to co-pilot their vehicle."
...Said Bloxace.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:34:18 am »

AT LONG LAST I CAN PARTICIPATE IN MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER TRAFFIC JAMS

No, seriously, this sounds like fun and I would play a bulldozer.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 12:46:38 am »

A MMO version of the old Car Wars tabletop?

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 01:00:54 am »

Maybe you could have 2 factions, and territory currently disputed where all the pvp occurs objective based, maybe air land and sea vehicles fighting to gain territory for their faction, so for example you could have a land vehicle focused on scouting, tanking or air to air combat, etc. I think the idea could be good, the important thing for me would be that smart building needs to be more important that the parts/level whatever.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 01:03:36 am »

How advanced must my knowledge of mechanical engineering be to play this?

Cause the deeper the mechanics, the better. Never heard of nuts and bolts though...

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 02:02:07 am »

How advanced must my knowledge of mechanical engineering be to play this?

Cause the deeper the mechanics, the better. Never heard of nuts and bolts though...

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts was like Banjo Kazooie only vehicle themed, and with the vehicles made out of modular parts. Like a wheel would be a wheel connected to a motor, and that could be stapled onto part of a vehicle at a designated point. Pretty much Lego: The Vehicle-ing.
My description is refuse, but I hope it's clear enough.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 03:29:20 am »

Only vehicular combat MMO I can think of was Auto Assault, which failed pretty quickly. I'm not sure enough folks would be into a car-based MMO.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 03:51:51 am »

If i could fly around in SPESS too i would love it, imagine space stations made of scrap.
Also.. people made out of parts from other people, that planet itself being "welded" together stray pieces of exploding planets.

Everything must be reused stuff, scrap everything.
When you die your actually just getting to choose how to get "rebuildt", with body parts from other defeated people/enemies you have fought, or from scrap found in your wreckage.
Also cannibalism, cows would actually be stitched together obese people. Everything would be made out of human parts/scrap. Wow.. rifles made out of human limbs and organs..

Jesus shit i think i just invented a new universe for me to write stories in
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 08:29:45 am »

Sounds like a good idea, NOW SELL IT TO A DEV AND MAKE IT HAPPEN  8)

No pressure.

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 12:06:10 pm »

If anyone wants to take this further, I'm fine with that. I personally have very little coding experience, or the time to do something of this magnitude. Just a wee credit for the idea and I'm fine  :)
...Said Bloxace.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 01:25:53 pm »

How about an entire combat system based around customizable stuff? That would make things more interesting and varied, while appealing to something more than the vehicle nuts out there.

So, you can throw together cars, tanks, blimps, planes, boats and submarines, but you can also make small arms. Wonky swords, rifles, pistols, machine guns, crossbows, or any combination thereof. To make customization all-encompassing, allow a degree of terrain deformation and building creation, with a focus on creating your own floating mansion, which can generate profit from renting out rooms to PCs, NPCs, and store owners and give you a safe place to store supplies and fashion new creations. If a group of players work together, they could make a stronghold. A concentrated community effort could even result in a giant floating city, with different players contributing and owning the spaces that they create themselves or buy from other players. Having two or more distinct factions would encourage cooperative building.

Allow all the building elements to be combined, such as having a floating house that's propelled by rockets and armed with mounted gatling sword-guns, each element you assembled yourself, and we'd have the best game ever.

A Steam Punk-ish setting would probably work best with the invention/creation aspect of the game - And there's a notable lack of good Steam Punk games out there.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: [1] 2