Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This game does not like me....  (Read 2101 times)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This game does not like me....
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 08:35:24 am »

When you first embark if your Civilisation has no access to iron you won't be able to take an ANvil with you, and traders won't have them either, you'll need to edit your raws to Make an anvil out stone or something.
You don't have access to steel anvils on no-iron civs? Expensive, sure, but if you need one, you need one...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 09:09:46 am »

Well i assumed that since steel making requires iron your wouldn't be able to get a steel one either.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 09:21:15 am »

very strange, but sometimes you can't get iron, but you can get steel
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 09:55:44 am »

Well i assumed that since steel making requires iron your wouldn't be able to get a steel one either.

You would assume that, but you would be wrong.  You can buy steel bars and steel items from traders even if your civilization doesn't have access to iron.  Having the steel making reaction means your civilization has access to steel.  DF doesn't check to see if they have access to the raw materials, just having the reaction is enough.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 11:20:08 am »

But i can't seem to find it myself, since i have my own embark setup.
Do you have 300 pts available when you looked? You may only be able to bring a steel anvil, items won't show if you don't have enough points to add them. So its a good idea to always pick your items first and your skills last.

I just find it weird that if i notch mineral availability up max the liaisons do not bring anvils. And like i said i have a serious hard time finding iron together with (mineable) fuel when i notch it 2nd to max.
I assume you mean mineral scarcity to minimum, but again coal isn't really worth the time between charcoal (other then beds and siege engines you don't really need wood for anything since stone pots [they function as barrels] where introduced) and magma, its not worth abandoning an embark over.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 11:25:59 am »

If you have trouble "finding" items during embark, you can use the search method instead.  From the items screen, press n, then type part of the name of the thing you want to bring -- like anvil.  It should show you all of the matching items that are available.

For whatever it's worth, I don't use a custom embark, and I always have an anvil in my starting items, so I never even have to look for one.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 11:50:17 am »

When you first embark if your Civilisation has no access to iron you won't be able to take an ANvil with you, and traders won't have them either, you'll need to edit your raws to Make an anvil out stone or something.

Ahhh, thats why it disappears from my list sometimes as well as coke when i used the premade embarks.

But i can't seem to find it myself, since i have my own embark setup.
Do you have 300 pts available when you looked? You may only be able to bring a steel anvil, items won't show if you don't have enough points to add them. So its a good idea to always pick your items first and your skills last.

I just find it weird that if i notch mineral availability up max the liaisons do not bring anvils. And like i said i have a serious hard time finding iron together with (mineable) fuel when i notch it 2nd to max.
I assume you mean mineral scarcity to minimum, but again coal isn't really worth the time between charcoal (other then beds and siege engines you don't really need wood for anything since stone pots [they function as barrels] where introduced) and magma, its not worth abandoning an embark over.

Ahh enough points.. that some good info :D.
hmmm i might mean min if it says scarcity :D, anyway before i used everywhere i always got anvils. When i'm playing with minerals everywhere i am able to find lignite or bituminous coal easy but the caravans won't bring an anvil. Thats why i am saying that the game does not like me lol :D.

If you're using DFHack for prospect you don't have to use reveal to see all the ores available on the map. You can use "prospect all" instead and it checks the entire map and shows ALL the resources.

Pretty useful at a new embark to see if you've found the site you really want (if you're getting tired of not having iron+fuel).

I'd do what was suggested above though.  Dig down to the core of the earth (it's not too terribly hard to wall off any cavern entrances you inadvertently make) and use magma.

I spent about 12 years of my current fort very near the surface, and once I built magma forges/smelters (because I ran out of bitmous coal/lignite) I started moving my fort down to where the magma forges were. It has taken a long time to set things up far below where I was setup before (and leave my defenses intact anyhow) but it's a process, and my fort is working much more efficiently down there than it ever was at the top.

I must have an older prospect since i can't choose all. It just shows everything i can see. So if i use reveal first i get the complete list. This is no problem, i just shut minimize my window.

Anyway, i'm finally back from shopping now it's time to explore some caverns for the first time. Bought plenty of leather for a bit of armor and i gues i'm going to use stone weapons :D.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:52:59 am by madmenyo »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 11:59:58 am »

Btw I never seen a dwarven or human caravan without an anvil, unless it was full of stuff requested from liason. Usually 3-5 anvils per caravan, and even more once caravans get bigger.
If the home civ doesn't have iron (same as you), then you won't get iron anvils, but steel anvils seem to be readily available.

So much so that I often buy them just to melt them, in all those iron-sparse embarks where I'm reliant upon all imported (and otherwise otherwise non-useful) steel items to give me what bars of the stuff I can muster for my own production, after setting up a dozen smithies with the first few I get.

(May have been ninjaed, loads of messages still to read.)

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 01:52:42 pm »

Bit off topic now but i think the game still hates me.

So for the first time i opened a cavern, explored it with my puny squad of 5 and found nothing dangerous. I left to build me a stockpile for spider silk but got interupted by strange mood, he needed "stone" bars but did not setup a smelter yet. So i carved out some stuff, then two things happened.

1. I was out of booze, plants AND seeds? WTF, i turned cooking with seeds off so i should have had plenty of seeds right? Anyway, started gathering plants and growing straw berries now till the liaison comes.

2. A crundle came up the stairs, checked the wiki and no big deal so i smashed it to pieces. Then a giant rat came, wiki says a peasant can stomp it, so i watched till it sneaked up my main area. I put my squad up to kill it. Chasing it endlessly until it went in a death end. Well the rat is dead, but dwarf blood everywhere, legs broken and torn... Ok i did not have foot wear or greaves yet but if a measly rat can cause this much fun whats more in store? :D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 01:57:30 pm »

1. I was out of booze, plants AND seeds? WTF, i turned cooking with seeds off so i should have had plenty of seeds right? Anyway, started gathering plants and growing straw berries now till the liaison comes.

Were you cooking plants?  Cooking plants destroys the seeds.  Turn off cooking with plants, reserve them for brewing (or being eaten raw) which doesn't destroy the seeds.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 02:08:42 pm »

Not sure, i believe i turned that off too but i'm not sure. Booze problem solved with berries above ground. Crundles keep coming just have to block off the passage for now until my sick bay is less crowded and before some funny rat comes along :D.

-edit-
Darn it! Got enough plump helmet biscuits to cover the map with and i play a 5x5 map :D.

Well the elves just arrived so let's hope they brought booze, and an anvil and are in badly need of my cookies :D.

-edit-
2 pots filled with plump helmet biscuits vs 2 pots of booze and a whole lot of plants and seeds should help me going for a while again.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:33:56 pm by madmenyo »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 02:52:17 pm »

Well the elves just arrived so let's hope they brought booze, and an anvil and are in badly need of my cookies :D.
Elves don't bring booze or anvils.  All things wooden, and caged creatures and (plant fibre) cloth is, I think, the basic list.

Don't try to trade with anything wooden yourself (including containers), if you don't want to halt the trading for whatever you do want from them.

The dwarven caravan (autumn) will almost definitely bring you what you need, the human one (summer) may if you've not got a problem getting that.  And no restrictions (other than your own noble-mandates).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 02:54:49 pm »

Elves don't bring booze or anvils.  All things wooden, and caged creatures and (plant fibre) cloth is, I think, the basic list.
Sometimes they bring small amounts of alcohol, as well as bringing small amounts of aboveground plants that can be made into alcohol at the still.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 03:49:40 pm »

No obviously the elves did not bring an anvil, i knew that :D. But they do bring booze, 2 barrels full of it and lots of seeds and plants.

Figuring out how to get my man healed, i got 1 dwarf with all hospital labors enabled, i do have splints but totally forgot to trade cloth with the elves. Soap is needed for infections i guess? 1 has still a dent in his lower leg, but won't get out of bed. Another has just scars left but is also still in bed. While another, that went to the hospital still lies there with a broken leg which is also still torn open.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 03:55:06 pm »

I always store my food in a seperate no barrel stockpile so they can't be stored in barrels (or pots), since you can't choose to trade the meal but not the pot or barrel
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3