Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF and Helping  (Read 392 times)

Oranpine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF and Helping
« on: January 27, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »

Hello,

I'm new to Dwarf Fortress and I use the LazyNewbPack along with the Phoebus tileset. I'm looking for someone (none of my friends are interested) to sort of help, or play along with me at the same time on Skype. We can share each others screens and just, learn Dwarf Fortress, etc.. and personally I think this sounds tons of fun and a much better way of learning, I'm more of a visual learner as well. I've probably been playing Dwarf Fortress for about a month and just messing around with things and figuring it out. I would say I'm proficient with/at:

Looking at the map, embarking and visualling knowing what everything on the map is trying to tell me. At least with the Phoebus pack. (I guess I visualize it in my head in 3D).
Farming
very Basic Military
Stockpiles and dumping

I'm not very good, or having even dabbled in:

Magma, or anything do with stonecrafting/flux stone besides the basic Craftsdwarf, Mason.
Advanced Military, schedules, training months, etc.
Animal Training (but it sounds really fun, I'd love to have tons of animal farms!)
Fishing, Hunting, Butcher just because it's confusing and in between these 3 professions there's lots to worry about: Miasma, Running out of Bolts (because I need that wood for beds, never have enough bones, etc), I never see my Fisherdwarf in his Fishery, ever.
Adding roofs to buildings, so I normally try to embark close to mountains.
A whole ton of other things between DF is amazing and very very in-depth but that's why I love it so much.

I'm willing and would love to help you learn this stuff, or learn new things about Dwarf Fortress together. I'm from the USA and only speak English but I don't mind if you're from somewhere else, besides, accents are awesome. If we play together, I will 100% make a new Fortress just because well..  'McDwarf is Fishing, McDwarf gets too close to Cave Crocodile. Cave Crocodile bites McDwarfs Leg and shakes it around wildly!  McDwarfs Leg flies off in an Arch!'.   Basically.. one Cave Crocodile ruined my newest fortress and all of my Dwarves, it was new fortress too.

Oh and by the way, most of the time I'm realistic in my fortresses to the point where:

I don't change any settings and I don't turn off aquifers. I will never play with DFHack, No scouting for minerals before the site and no cheating (Dwarf Therapist is fine). I prefer biggest world size, 125 to 250 year(s) world, Very High civilizations, Very High sites, Very High Beasts, High Savagery, and the default 'Sparse' Mineral Occurance. If my dwarves die and my fortress is wrecked, I must start a new world because, they (and I) died.

I sometimes play Dwarf Fortress based off my real life personality: I don't like eating Mushrooms (haven't tried embarking without them yet, figuring out what to bring instead), I love Seafood, I like Piercing Weapons (like Spears), I love animals, I like parties, etc.. you get the idea.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:14:37 pm by Oranpine »

Oranpine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF and Helping
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:28:55 pm »

I didn't mean to respond, I meant to edit!  >_<
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:34:15 pm by Oranpine »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 03:46:32 pm »

Sounds cool, though personally I am a little too busy to help out right now. Question though, why do you always start a new world after each failed fortress? You could just start another fortress in a different location in the same world you know (Heck, you could even start with a completely different dwarven civilization so you have nothing in common with your failed fortress). It will even include your failed fortress as part of the history of the world!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 04:27:19 pm »

it's a succession game, your failures become part of the legends

plump helmets are the most important food in the beginning, don't try to do without

fishery is where fish is cleaned or processed. You need it to make, basically, filet out of any raw fish caught by the fishers (fish cleaning job)

butchering is currently automated. A wild animal that is killed will be butchered and tame ones can be assigned for butchery. Similarly, fishing is automated too as long as the apropriate labors are active and workshops are available

Hauling food seems to be a high priority task, so as long as there is storage space and no higher priority it will be done fast

I hardly ever bother with changing schedule, except for occasional changes to counter a siege. With the right things around, they don't mind training the year around

let's see....
magma: try embarking at a vulcano site. It often has a wild variety of metals and has magma near the surface, allowing some experimenting. Digging down has tradition behind it, but it then takes so long to set things up due to hauling times.

Flux. the wiki explains it good enough. One flux stone is needed, plus an iron bar, plus charcoal or coal or something, plus a heat source (charcoal for example), to make a pig iron bar. a pig iron bar, plus flux, iron, carbon and fuel = steel. You can survive fine without steel, even without iron, but it's not so much fun
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Oranpine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:33:01 pm »

I restart the world because my dwarves have died and since they died the world would just feel kind of silly in a way. I have friends who play Skyrim realistically as in.. they play on Expert, or Hardcore and if they die then they must restart, even if they died because of something silly (like a rat setting off a Trap that also killed his character). I play this way because it's nice seeing the different worlds that get generated and how they play out (like a book) before my dwarves came into the world. Once my dwarves die, the world feels like it's been ruined.

I haven't had many long fortresses but plenty (more than I can count) of short fortresses. By the way, I didn't know that there were different dwarven civilizations. I just figured that there was one King or Queen, and the rest of the Fortresses (the ones that show when you hit 'Tab' on the world screen) belonged to that King/Queen and were like an extension of all the dwarves. Thanks for the replies!  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:38:44 pm by Oranpine »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »

Yeah most worlds (larger worlds that is) will have several dwarven civilizations. You can choose which one you want (as well as see their various dominions) by hitting tab on the embark screen and then using + and - to change them IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Oranpine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 05:28:43 pm »

Yeah, thanks for the help. I see what's going on now, that's pretty cool.  :)