Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: A Base on the Moon  (Read 16705 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: A Base on the Moon
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2012, 02:19:39 am »

They will like what I tell them to like.

Vote 1: General White, Captain of the United Earth Unions!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2012, 02:20:12 am »

The rebels hate your freedom!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2012, 02:23:24 am »

I stand for justice, freedom, and the earthling way! Only commie terrorists would oppose me!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2012, 02:24:52 am »

The United Earth Unions. That is a lot of unification you have going on there.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2012, 02:26:14 am »

Exactly, you want to be part of the unification don't you? Everybody wants to belong!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2012, 02:30:02 am »

Everybody somehow excluding the lunar colonists you want to slaughter.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2012, 02:31:40 am »

For their own good!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2012, 02:32:29 am »

For the good of humanity!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 29, 2012, 02:35:03 am »

Which they are technically part of even if they are freedom hating bastards!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2012, 02:36:44 am »

So, the colonists who are rebelling to gain their independence are the freedom hating bastards, and your unified One World Union is....not?
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2012, 02:39:54 am »

They aren't rebelling to gain freedom, after all, anything we did to them was only out our retaliation to protect potential war going citizens like yourself! No, they just want to take away the Earth Dreamtm.

Also, speaking of the Earth Dreamtm.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2012, 03:39:21 am »

Yeah, mooncolonists won't revolt. They would not be like any average person, they'd be screened and vetted for the job and likely be proven to be loyal and trustworthy. They'd also need to be hardworking, anal retentive and never prone to boredom or apathy. Basically, they'd need to be as much like robots as possible. So I think they'll probably just use actual robots programed for certain tasks and/or remotely operated from earth.

Anyways, the only resource worth a damn on the moon is the H3 on the 'topsoil' there (~100 USD/ liter, atm) and demand for that will only pick up when there is practical fusion reactors that'd require it, which there isn't.  They are not going to mine iron ore there worth 115 USD/ton and whatever, export roofing nails back to earth at 5000 USD/ pound for a profit.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2012, 04:09:23 am »

Republicans only want a moon base to set new golf driving records.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAONkS06LFU
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2012, 05:18:55 am »

Earth has a lot of resources the moon wants and is willing to pay to import.  The moon has a shitload of solar energy the earth wants and can be used for scientific endevors. 

There are a few problems with lunar power production:

- Not constant: The moon has a day/night cycle. Since night/ day on the moon are rather long, you'd need a large amount of storage if you're going to survive solely on solqr power

-Vulnerable: There are many disasters that could damage your solar power panels, ranging from micrometeroids to solar flares. Because of the lack of an atmosphere/electromagnetic field, these are much more frequent then on earth. Solar flares are exceptionally dangerous, as they can knock your entire system offline for a couple of months. (And no burying wouldn't help, as there isn't much light under the ground)

- Transfer: How are you going to get power back to the earth. Batteries aren't an option. You could try using concentrated microwaves, but microwaving the earth's atmosphere doesn't seem to be a very good idea to me. You could construct a giant laser to laser the power back to earth, but that would only get the power to orbit, rather than all the way down to the ground.

Speaking of giant lasers, you could use these to launch spaceships from earth into orbit. Also, a Moon base isn't going to be profitable until we have properly working He3 fusion(which we don't). Bad news is, we can't properly research He3  fusion until we have acces to it, as the earth's supplies are virtually non existent.

As for solar wind farms, these provide even less energy, and might be better used as a way of slowly getting spaceships to the outer layers. (These do use electricity) Also funny, electromagnetic solar sails can also propulse themselves using planets electromagnetical fields.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2012, 11:29:53 am »

Yeah, mooncolonists won't revolt. They would not be like any average person, they'd be screened and vetted for the job and likely be proven to be loyal and trustworthy. They'd also need to be hardworking, anal retentive and never prone to boredom or apathy. Basically, they'd need to be as much like robots as possible. So I think they'll probably just use actual robots programed for certain tasks and/or remotely operated from earth.

Anyways, the only resource worth a damn on the moon is the H3 on the 'topsoil' there (~100 USD/ liter, atm) and demand for that will only pick up when there is practical fusion reactors that'd require it, which there isn't.  They are not going to mine iron ore there worth 115 USD/ton and whatever, export roofing nails back to earth at 5000 USD/ pound for a profit.

We have a large demand for satellites in orbit.  It's easier to get something on the moon in orbit then it is to get something on earth in orbit.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20