Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: A Base on the Moon  (Read 16727 times)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: A Base on the Moon
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2012, 06:51:33 pm »

On a slightly obvious note:  Why bother sending people at all?  Wouldnt it be a hell of a lot easier to get a research base full of remotely operated gear going.  Spend the cash on robotics research instead rather than sending piles of people on the 95% safe trip to the moon.  Do the robot thing for 10 years to get the bugs sorted out, then send some squishy bodies.  Ditto for asteroids.  I mean does anyone actually think it would be a human anywhere near the asteroid being mined?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2012, 06:52:51 pm »

I wasn't ever suggesting humans. Because your right, its stupid to send them to an asteroid just to dig up some minerals.

Because the moon is a gravity well. It takes effort to leave its surface, whereas an asteroid as much less mass, so there's a lot less stopping you from leaving it. With some well used aerobraking you could slow you're iron or nickel or whatever mineral payloads down into an earth orbit for much much less work than it'd take getting it off of the moon.

Also, you still haven't told me what these 'terristrial shifts' are?
Magma is overrated.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2012, 06:56:19 pm »

Because the moon is a gravity well. It takes effort to leave its surface, whereas an asteroid as much less mass, so there's a lot less stopping you from leaving it. With some well used aerobraking you could slow you're iron or nickel or whatever mineral payloads down into an earth orbit for much much less work than it'd take getting it off of the moon.
the moon has 1/100 of the earth's gravity and has a vacuum atmosphere allowing the usage of ion/nuclear drives, doesn't need much effect to lift off, shit you can JUMP off the moon if you got the skills and no braincells to do it.

On a slightly obvious note:  Why bother sending people at all?  Wouldnt it be a hell of a lot easier to get a research base full of remotely operated gear going.  Spend the cash on robotics research instead rather than sending piles of people on the 95% safe trip to the moon.  Do the robot thing for 10 years to get the bugs sorted out, then send some squishy bodies.  Ditto for asteroids.  I mean does anyone actually think it would be a human anywhere near the asteroid being mined?
Well, who fixes the robots? Its a good idea you know and actually that should be the first thing but eventually we would have to step on it.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2012, 07:03:34 pm »

the moon has 1/100 of the earth's gravity and has a vacuum atmosphere allowing the usage of ion/nuclear drives, doesn't need much effect to lift off, shit you can JUMP off the moon if you got the skills and no braincells to do it.

Um.... no. :-\

The gravity of the moon is 1/6th of the earths gravity. Even with ion drives you still need to use effort to leave the moon, much more effort than you need to leave an asteroid between earth and mars. Being space, every extra bit of mass means more mass to launch that off the ground etc, costs add up very quickly.
Magma is overrated.

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2012, 07:06:47 pm »

I dont dispute the robots would occasionally need fixing, more that having humans living there full time ups the difficulty by about, and this is hard science, a fuckload.

Also if we pour the money we would save on keeping people alive on the moon into robots, we get some kick ass robots AND a moonbase.

Dammit ninjaed, people apparently love this idea.  Yeah, if the asteroid is already in space, and you want its goodies on earth, it seems like a waste of energy to land it somewhere else and take it off again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2012, 07:09:56 pm »

Hey, I have no problems with the americans building them, more that im fairly sure if you established and american state on the moon, secession would ensue.
You know what I've got going round in my head right now?  The cry "No taxation without gravitation!"

Nope, doesn't make much sense, but those colonials never did, either... ;)

Why not build that space panel on the moon?  Plenty of silicon for the panel and low gravity for the getting it into space.
That's one of the big ideas.  Automated rovers to wander over the regolith like a set of Zamboni machines, converting/filtering/doping/processing the surface to make strips of solar panels.

(The same devices would reburbish and replace the panels once micro-meteorites (and not-so-micro meteorites) cause each strip to degrade.  You could just have an awful lot of them...  Getting the enormous power to Earth safely would be an issue.  Being the guy with the joystick would be a great responsibility/opportunity[*delete as inapplicable]... all kinds of things to be thought of there...)

From a humanitarian heritage point of view, it shouldn't (visibly) be allowed to alter the visage of the moon, for any of the commonly held memes about what it looks like (face, man with fish, etc), although I am slightly tempted to suggest that the Man In The Moon should be given a Groucho Marx makeover...  (If I had GIMP on this particular machine, which isn't my own, I'd do an example.  But Paint just doesn't cut it.)

And, of course, the radio astronomers want the opposing face of the moon to be kept uncluttered for sensitive radio astronomy to be conducted (and/or governments want to use it for their secret stuff, or already do, or the aliens that control the governments already do, or it doesn't even exist and the moon is actually hollow on the other side).

So, we'd probably be looking at lining the sides (and across the poles) of the moon with massive solar fields, with more subtly stippled fields on the visible side and a limited amount of intrusion onto the far side so as to keep the major EM producing cables well down below the horizon.

Tellemurius: To land on the moon, you need to oppose the 1/6th Earth gravity, or thereabouts.  Not crash into it.  Asteroids are a matter of getting into the vicinity and then soft-docking with them as if it were a space-station (without a docking ring, but with, perhaps, the aid of some harpoon-like anchor things that drive angled bolts into the surface, explosively, on contact, if the composition allows, but we've soft-touched before and this is only because mining the asteroid is going to mean a lot more messing about than merely 'landing).

And getting away from an asteroid could be a matter of 'letting go', in certain circumstances, and merely providing normal 'space manoevering' levels of thrust in most others.  The moon needs actual ascent-stages (at the moment, mass drivers and similar ballistic methods notwithstanding) to escape from.

I'm not entirely convinced that we're going to be able to do anything large-scale enough with asteroids this side of being able to do anything large-scale enough with the moon (although we've done unmanned sample-return missions to both types of destination, already).  There are undoubtedly asteroids with big spins (should be able to rendezvous with a pole, unless there's an extra dimension to the tumble, and even then I can't see it being insurmountable with a bit of planning) and they'll be a valuable resource, to be sure, if we pick the right ones.  Some select entities, out there, might end up being hollowed-out habitations, others may be given boosters/sails of their own and navigated to where they're more useful (to be the Space Elevator's counterweight?).  But it's all a lot further from Earth than the Moon.  A lot of the reasons I've give as to "why a moonbase" do indeed add to the arguments for "why the asteroids", of course, and even more so than "why Mars" except for the human factor.  But there's also a psychological shift to be considered.  Which isn't the best argument against, but it'll feature.  Or, indeed, might be the added benefit used to pursue them.  I'm looking forward (I think) to seeing this unfold.  I hope it does while I can still appreciate it.

Another ninja or five to reply to.. Ok, @Tellemurious again, Moon = 1/6th of Earth's gravity.  Not huge, but bigger than the 1/100th.  Ion drives (of current kinds) wouldn't work.  They're perhaps an order of magnitude below even the power needed to escape from your fabled 0.01g, as well, last I heard.

As it happens, I'm for automated advanced parties prepping the ground, but the big thing about being in space/on the moon/in asteroids/wandering around Mars is...  that there are people in space/on the moon/in asteroids/wandering around Mars just in case something unavoidable happens to Earth (or to the moon, or to any given asteroid, or to Mars, or to a region of space we just happen to have someone floating through, for that matter).  If we can find benefits to being in all these places at once, and there are ones, regardless of how much we argue about their relative merits, then we're on step further away from our parental home.  And that's a good thing...

More ninjaing, it's hotting up, this conversation.  Can't hope to keep up, just want to post this darn reply!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2012, 07:12:34 pm »

The gravity of the moon is 1/6th of the earths gravity. Even with ion drives you still need to use effort to leave the moon, much more effort than you need to leave an asteroid between earth and mars. Being space, every extra bit of mass means more mass to launch that off the ground etc, costs add up very quickly.

Escape Velocity

Metric: 8,552 km/h
English: 5,314 mph
Scientific Notation: 2,376 m/s
By Comparison: 0.212 x Earth
Huh.

Also the closest asteroid that would be safe at least would be Eros, I wouldn't suggest Apollo or especially Icarus.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »

More or less my idea, re: moonbase establishment.  Buried under a load of other text.  Indeed, get the machines out there.  We can send them further, faster (or far slower, but cheaper!), into places we can't yet dream of going ourselves, and in many cases come back again (as well as merely send some dying signals) to give us the information we might need about the places we perhaps might intend to go ourselves, one day.

But I'm going to repeat the sentiment that I gave (after your message) a moment ago: We need people out there.  Not just "because its there", but because, at the moment all of us are here.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2012, 07:19:14 pm »

Escape Velocity

Metric: 8,552 km/h
English: 5,314 mph
Scientific Notation: 2,376 m/s
By Comparison: 0.212 x Earth
Huh.

Exactly, 2km/s just to leave the moon and get back to earth. Whereas from close earth asteroid its closer to about 60-100m/s
Magma is overrated.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2012, 07:20:40 pm »

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2012, 07:28:01 pm »

More or less my idea, re: moonbase establishment.  Buried under a load of other text.  Indeed, get the machines out there.  We can send them further, faster (or far slower, but cheaper!), into places we can't yet dream of going ourselves, and in many cases come back again (as well as merely send some dying signals) to give us the information we might need about the places we perhaps might intend to go ourselves, one day.

But I'm going to repeat the sentiment that I gave (after your message) a moment ago: We need people out there.  Not just "because its there", but because, at the moment all of us are here.

Id say that if we had a moonbase in 10 years, then something happens on earth.  Moonguys are FUCKED.  Hell, id probably say the same thing about 100 years in the future, Moonguys arent going to be living in a situation where they can be 100% self sustaining in the long term, there just isnt enough variety of resources up there

GAHHH SOO MANY NINJAS....  But yeah, Im calling lifeboat moon a non starter.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2012, 07:31:25 pm »

the moon has 1/100 of the earth's gravity

Quote from: Wikipedia
Equatorial surface gravity: 1.622 m/s2 (0.165 4 g)
0.165g being approx 1/6th.

Wiki's 2.38 km/s escape velocity agrees with you (within decimal places).  Earth's escape velocity is 11.186 km/s, and the other figures you give seem accurate, and not conducive to either the 1/100th gravity statement or the "can JUMP off the Moon" one.

Let's see.  I can't find any easily convertible High Jump facts (could push it through standard laws of ballistic motion to derive something like the launch speed or something), but when directly looking for "How high can one jump on the moon?", several sources suggest (surprisingly enough) that you can go six times as high as you can on Earth.  Couldn't even consider that to be sub-orbital, really.

And even 100 times that (disregarding the problem of space-suit encumbrance and weight) wouldn't be good enough.

(And "the closet asteroid"?  You do know that they orbit, sometimes close, sometimes further away, and all of the moving so that you have to choose one you will come close to, once you've made the trip out to meet it...  Yes, some in more inner and more outer orbits, but there'll be plenty of unnamed (merely catalogued) ones of various sizes that are probable more convenient (except for notoriety) to travel to on any given mission.

Hmm three more replies

Jester: that's why you make them self sufficient to start with.  Like we aren't doing with the ISS.  (But not in charge of the power-transmission array joystick... ;) )

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2012, 07:48:52 pm »

The 1/100 number might've come from roughly that kind of mass ratio between the two bodies. If you don't take the surface radius difference into account, that's what you end up with.

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2012, 07:51:30 pm »

100% self sufficient?!?  Forever?!?  I mean think about it, apart from the previously mentioned problems with nutrition and bacteria, human bodies arent designed to live in low gravity, breathable air, inbreeding, disease, population control, not to mention tryng to keep your base sealed to one of the THE most hostile environment humans have ever been stupid enough to try and live in.  The moon is a shitty hunk of rock, the list of things you would never be able to make on the moon includes a hell of alot of things you need for survival (say, soil).  Ill say it again, earth goes pffftttt, moonguys are fucked.

and only 1 ninja this time

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2012, 07:56:01 pm »

100% self sufficient?!?  Forever?!?  I mean think about it, apart from the previously mentioned problems with nutrition and bacteria, human bodies arent designed to live in low gravity, breathable air, inbreeding, disease, population control, not to mention tryng to keep your base sealed to one of the THE most hostile environment humans have ever been stupid enough to try and live in.  The moon is a shitty hunk of rock, the list of things you would never be able to make on the moon includes a hell of alot of things you need for survival (say, soil).  Ill say it again, earth goes pffftttt, moonguys are fucked.

and only 1 ninja this time
a thermalelectricial nuclear reactor, silicon dioxide sitting outside not to mention easily extractable metals, kelp farms, undergound moon ice, yea dude totally not possible >_>
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20