Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warm stone strangeness  (Read 666 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warm stone strangeness
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:21:13 pm »

Ok, So i recently used my magma pit traip for the first time, all went nice and dandy with my magma running through the drain chute into the caverns to drain off the edge, But now that the magmas gone I still have several random stone tiles that are still listed as warm after the magma drained away. It's not causing any problems, I'm just curious why this would be.  :)

Any ideas?
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Warm stone strangeness
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:33:52 pm »

I've seen this too - when magma flows through an area, sometimes adjacent tiles remain warm, even after the magma is long gone.  It's a bug.  Not much you can do about it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 06:48:14 pm »

Temperature is a fickle thing in DF. What's the temperature outside?

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:54:09 pm »

I've seen this too - when magma flows through an area, sometimes adjacent tiles remain warm, even after the magma is long gone.  It's a bug.  Not much you can do about it.

Thought so. It's a harmless bug though, I was just curious about it, thanks.  :)

Also, Loud Whispers, my embark is temperate. At least, it freezes in the winter, and this is happening in the first cavern layer anyway, and from what I read underground areas are all the same temperature regardless of the climate aboveground aren't they?

Another interesting thing I noticed: My trap is filled from a magma moat around the aboveground part of the fortress, and it runs through two channels in silty clay loam.
And the magma seems to have spread this silty clay loam like water spreading mud in the caverns.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:15:52 pm »

As far as I can tell warm/damp stone stays that way indefinitely after exposure.