Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Crash issue  (Read 1145 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crash issue
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 12:46:00 am »

Ok, that's better than mine, and I can run Dwarf Fortress fine.  So unless there's some weak link you left out, it isn't that.  I would definitely try searching google for a freeware CPU monitor that'll let you check your CPU temperature...  Dust in the case or a busted fan or something is a possible culprit from what you've described.

Oh, did you check to see if reformatting made the problem go away?

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 04:27:00 pm »

no but I'll redownload the game and give it a shot, now if it works, im going to need some serious help in how the hell to play lol  :p

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 06:28:00 pm »

...No such luck, I dunno I guess my computer just cant handle it, it cant handle alot of things, thats why I've now settled on roguelikes, or other freeware, or older pc games before 2000, I have myth 2 running pretty good on it so im happy for now  :)

seizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 08:53:00 pm »

Well, Dwarf Fortress uses alot more power than most modern games. Sounds like you have some hardware problems, have you tried running stuff like memtest86? Faulty memory sticks are a very common source of crashes.

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 08:56:00 pm »

lol its all very complex to me, no ive never used that program, I dunno I figured id come make this thread to see if there was anyone else with the problem and if theres a quick fix

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 09:02:00 pm »

Still...  you ought to look into the heat thing.  Your PC sounds like it ought to be able to handle this...

Oh, have you tried running the Kobold game?  It's very small, but it uses a lot of Dwarf Fortress things...  it was actually released now to help with Dwarf Fortress porting.  Anyway, it might be worth seeing if you can run that without problems...

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 09:31:00 pm »

No I dont think that worked, well it did work like I got into it fine I played for a sec then quit, and decided not to go back in right away cause I was dl something, then I decided to play WW1 medic and it crashed my computer, which WW1 medic never does, so kobold had a play in it, it seems I can play dwarf fortress and kobold once then it crashes the computer when I try to get back into it

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 11:19:00 pm »

To be absolutely bluntly honest, this thread is a complete waste of time.  You're going at this in a completely haphazard and disorganized fashion, you're not being at all careful in trying to figure out what might be causing the crash, you're generally just sort of flailing around and guessing wildly as to what might cause it without any solid evidence for doing so, and not providing any useful information to anybody.  This isn't a bug report.  This isn't anything at all, except a mess.

If you can say "When I do X, I get result Y, every time, therefore I believe there is a problem with X", that is a useful bug report.  If you can say "When I do X, I get result Y, and I have done this and that to make sure it wasn't caused by Z", that is useful information on a problem that other people can use to help diagnose what might be going on.  If you say "LOL I dunno I haven't tried any of what you suggested but I know something crashed somewhere", that's a joke and a good way to waste everyone's time.

Course, it's their time to waste, if they care to.  Maybe they're nicer than I am.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006, 12:22:00 am »

I don't think that Milky meant to make a bug report; they were just hoping that we'd have a solution already.  But, I'm still picking at it, because hopefully that way we'll have something to say if anyone else comes in here with the same problem.  We might even be able to track the issue down to something that Toady can fix.

Anyway, hmm.  It sounds like one of the libraries that Toady uses for all of those games isn't unloading properly on your machine for some reason, causing it to crash the next time you run a program that uses it.  

...my gut instinct tells me that it's a problem with FMOD, if only because I've had problems like that with it before.  Are you by any chance running Windows ME?

And when it crashes, does it show any error message?  Does it just hang with no messages?  Or does it reboot your computer?

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 02:25:00 pm »

I appreciate your help Aquillion, and I appologize for being all over the place. I am running windows xp home edition, and no there isnt an error message

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 07:17:00 pm »

I think FMOD and OpenGL are the only similarities between WW1 Medic and Kob Quest, if both of those are dying.  Does DoomRL use FMOD?  Maybe it will either crash or work, though the implementation is going to be different/better.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2006, 07:36:00 pm »

I can play WW1 medic fine(except for the time right after I played dwarf fortress) and I can play DoomRL even better

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »

so I dont know do you think it could be a problem with fmod?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 08:25:00 pm »

Probably not a problem with FMOD, if both ww1 medic and doomrl are fine.  I'm not sure what else is unusual about the game.  There have been problems reported on dual screen setups.  Anything else special about your system?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2006, 08:34:00 pm »

um no nothing out of the ordinary, its probably linked to my video card
Pages: 1 [2] 3