Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Crash issue  (Read 1144 times)

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crash issue
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:24:00 pm »

Hi there, im new to this forum and this game, I've been readin up about it and finally downloaded with full anticipation(pardon the length of this post, I just hope someone can help), and I had read it can take awhile to generate a world even on a more beafer computer, but thats not the issue, the issue is I started up the game hit "Generate world" and watched as it started now something that didnt sit well with me was at the top the number of "rejections" kept getting higher, until It seemed to finally get on with its job of creating the world but then it stopped and it went back out to the main screen with the generate and quit options, so I decided to quit and try going back into the game, and right after I clicked the exe. it crashed my computer, and it wasnt the first time, I actually tested to see if I could get back out to the desktop while keeping the game running but it crashed the computer. so yea any help would be great, cause I'd really like to dig into this game...Thanks  :)

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crash issue
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:11:00 am »

How long are you letting it generate? It'll take at least half an hour, as I recall.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 02:46:00 am »

The amount of rejections is purely random. My first generation ever had 130 rejections, and the second had 7. So don't worry about it too much.

[ September 11, 2006: Message edited by: LordNagash ]

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 08:25:00 am »

like I said when I tried to generate it just stopped and exited after abit, I didnt do anything, and then when I tryed going back into the game, it crashed

[ September 11, 2006: Message edited by: Milky ]

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 11:34:00 am »

Is there a "save" folder in the "data" folder? Anything inside it?

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 03:58:00 pm »

yea under "data" and "save" theres a folder titled "region1" but theres nothing in it

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 05:31:00 pm »

You should probably delete the "region1" folder. I don't know whether it'll solve your crash or not, but it couldn't hurt, and it might help.

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 07:34:00 pm »

Done, I'll try the game again see if anything comes up

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 09:11:00 pm »

well I just dont think the game is going to work out, for one it was completely diorienting, mind you im sure I could learn(eventually), and for 2 I tryed it again, managed to create a world and try to fool around in it abit, quit, tryed going back into the game, only to have it crash the computer, for which my computer restarted and was chugging for abit 15min before I restarted it again and finally got things back to normal....exhausting

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 04:22:00 am »

Maybe your CPU is overheating? It sounds like some sort of hardware problem, anyway. Have you had similar problems with any other programs?

[ September 12, 2006: Message edited by: Shador ]

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 10:24:00 am »

some games I can play, some games I cant, but its usually the more graphic intensive ones I cant, which surprises me cause this isnt very high end

fmunoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesnoth.org
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 10:52:00 am »

This game really taxes the CPU (even if no fancy grphics)... so your computer will heat fast.

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 03:56:00 pm »

I suppose thats could be the problem, I was looking forward to getting into this game

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 07:45:00 pm »

Hrm...  still, it shouldn't cause this big of a problem.  What's your computer's specs?  What's your processor, how much ram do you have, how much free disk space is there, what operating system are you running, that sort of thing.  This sounds like a technical problem of some sort, so the more information you can give, the better.

If it's a desktop, have you tried opening it up and cleaning the dust out lately?  You're supposed to use pressurized air, but even just blowing on it might help if overheating due to a dust-filled case is you problem.  Um, if you've never opened up your case before, be careful not to touch anything else in there, of course.

Do you keep things on top of it or blocking the fan or anything obvious like that?

Have you tried the premade worlds available on the download page?

...there are various CPU monitor programs you can install to keep an eye on your CPU temperature; you might want to track one down to see if that's your problem before you fiddle with anything else.  I can't think of a good one off the top of my head, though...  perhaps someone else here will know.

[ September 12, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Milky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 10:43:00 pm »

oh boy, umm let me think I have a pentium 4, like a bunch of disk space im not even sure but if I had to guess I'd say 60gigs which I actually just reformated my computer today cause I had some vicious malware, spyware crap on it....anyways it has 512mb ram and im running windows xp home edition
Pages: [1] 2 3