Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moody dwarves not picking up their required items?  (Read 660 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moody dwarves not picking up their required items?
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:55:38 am »

I've currently got a woodworker in a strange mood. He is requesting

"Stone...Rock" (stone, which obviously is kinda plentiful)

"Tree...Life" (logs, which, once again, is kinda plentiful, a bit too plentiful if you ask me since an eleven caravan got massacared by goblins because some dwarves decided to let their socks jam the outer doors. Then again, he actually picked this up)

"Cloth...Thread" (cloth, I'd think maybe he was asking for yarn, but he's already got some rope reed fiber cloth in his shop)

"Rough...Color" (rough gems, which we kinda have A LOT of.)

"Leather...Skin" (got it in his shop)

"Bones...Yes" (I've slaughtered several animals, and he seems content to sit around in his workshop complaining about the lack of bones."

Since this guy is a legendary marksdwarf, I'd rather he not go bezerk and take out half my military, plus he's in a carpenter's shop so I'm likely to get an artifact I can actually use out of him.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moody dwarves not picking up their required items?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:04:57 am »

Btw, as of now, I'm using the "planepacked" trick to keep him from going insane, putting him in a burrow that includes some of the items he wants, and letting him go grab as much of it as his heart desires. In this case, he's grabbing all my wood. Ideally I'd like to avoid making a 100,000,000 Urist bed for fear of getting owned by the next siege, but it wouldn't bother me all that much if it came to that to avoid him going insane.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:26:32 am »

First, check his preferences.  He might be looking for a specific material.  Or a specific animal type.

On the cloth, moods usually want a specific type.  Silk, plant, and yarn.  If you don't have that specific type the dwarf will just sit there.  And he might want more than one type.  Just because the dwarf already has some of one type doesn't mean he doesn't want another too.

As for body parts, I also have trouble here.  The mood may require either a specific animal type, or something that animal doesn't have.  I haven't been able to figure that part out myself.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:46:18 am »

If you can compile DFHack, the latest code has a "showmood" plugin which will describe exactly what it is that your dwarf wants to use.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:15:19 pm »

Well, it looks as if he wanted yarn. Ty all.
It was inevitable.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:56:16 pm »

Come back with a screenshot of the item when he makes it. I'm intrested to see what it is.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:46:48 am »

When your moody dwarf is stuck in his shop, use the 't' command on the shop to see what he has already gathered, in order.  Since you've already determined that he was stuck on yarn (cloth), one can presume that his list of gathered stuff might have looked something like this:

• rough citrine TSK
  • dog leather TSK
  • cat leather TSK
  • 13 horse bones TSK
  • gabbro TSK
  • mudstone TSK
  • oak TSK

From which you could have concluded that the actual order was Rough Gems, Leather, Bones, Stone, Wood, Cloth.  Then you would have known that he was either stuck on Wood or Cloth.

However, you also said that he had gathered plant cloth already -- which means that if he also wanted yarn cloth, then you must have missed an ingredient in the cycle (a second instance of Cloth).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz