Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harder alcohol industry  (Read 1069 times)

Pancho Cachondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Harder alcohol industry
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:19:46 am »

I made this custom reaction for the Still, basically you need 1 bucket with water, 1 plant and 1 empty barrel to produce booze, and only 1 unit of booze is obtained... oh, and no seed is recovered, so you have to manage your plant resources better. No more swimming in plump helmets and plump helmet spawns.

Just put this in the reaction_other.txt (don't forget to add this reaction to the entity you desire):

[REACTION:BREW_ALCOHOLIC_BEVERAGE]
   [NAME:Make an Alcoholic Beverage]
   [BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_V]
   [REAGENT:water:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER]
   [REAGENT:bucket:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS:water][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
   [REAGENT:plant:1:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE][UNROTTEN]
   [REAGENT:barrel/pot:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:plant:DRINK_MAT][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel/pot][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   [SKILL:BREWING]

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Harder alcohol industry
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:39:40 am »

Hmm... since you cannot Opt out the vanilla brew reaction. I would make the raction take more plants and make more booze.

Pancho Cachondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:48:20 am »

Hmm... since you cannot Opt out the vanilla brew reaction. I would make the raction take more plants and make more booze.

Nice idea, I think maybe something where dwarves can brew 10 or 20 plants at the same time.

Also, I forgot to add that to get water in buckets, just create a pond zone in a flat area. In this way, dwarves will fill the buckets but they will not be emptied in the "pond". Only downside is that the buckets will be left at the side of the water source, so is better to have the water source close to the still, so your brewer don't go crossing half the map to get a bucket with water.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:55 am »

If you want to replace the original brewing method with yours, try this:
1) Remove [DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK] on all plants
2) Add [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK] for all corresponding plant structural definition.
3) use something along the line of the tanning reaction. For example:

[REACTION:BREW_2]
   [NAME:brew plant]
   [BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_SHIFT_A]
   [REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:NONE:STRUCTURAL][UNROTTEN][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT]
   [REAGENT:B:1:BARREL:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][NOT_CONTAIN_BARREL_ITEM][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
   [PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:DRINK_MAT][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B]
   AUTOMATIC

Btw your method is no where near as hard core as mine:
+ No seed produced (same as yours)
+ Cannot train farming, brewing, herbalism thus very low product output quantity & quality.
+ Plants takes forever to grow and are all seasonal with the exception of plump helmets, which doesn't have any means to effectively farm seeds.
+ An import-only ingredient (yeast) is required. Forced FD mod. Even if you dont lack plants, you need an army to make use of them.
+ Many kind of animals are prone to rage and can kill herbalists in a heartbeat.

Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:21:50 pm »

PLANT_MAT:NONE:STRUCTURAL
I'm not sure that works how think it works - if that parses at all, it would require plants made of "unknown plant substance". There is no way to restrict a reaction to use a specific material from a generic creature/plant due to the way it's actually encoded internally (PLANT_MAT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG:DRINK literally encodes as "the 2nd material belonging to the plant GRASS_TAIL_PIG"). Besides, you've already got [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT], which restricts it nicely.

Also, [NOT_CONTAIN_BARREL_ITEM] is redundant if you've already got [EMPTY] - all it does is prevent the item from containing milk or lye, which is always going to be the case if it's already required to be empty.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »

Btw your method is no where near as hard core as mine:
+ No seed produced (same as yours)
+ Cannot train farming, brewing, herbalism thus very low product output quantity & quality.
+ Plants takes forever to grow and are all seasonal with the exception of plump helmets, which doesn't have any means to effectively farm seeds.
+ An import-only ingredient (yeast) is required. Forced FD mod. Even if you dont lack plants, you need an army to make use of them.
+ Many kind of animals are prone to rage and can kill herbalists in a heartbeat.
That just sounds masochistic.

Dienes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 02:42:04 pm »

We did something like this for an LP game. We removed seeds and [DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK] from all plants so you couldn't brew normally (or farm). Then we added [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BREW_SAS:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK] to the structural material of the brewable plants. Our brewing reaction looks like
[REACTION:BREW_BEER]
   [NAME:Brew Alcohol]
   [BUILDING:P_STILL:CUSTOM_B]
   [REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BREW_SAS]
   [REAGENT:B:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
   [PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:BREW_SAS][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B]
   [FUEL]

It still produces 5 units of alcohol per unit of plants brewed since we aren't that masochistic.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:25:34 pm »

Aww. I kinda hoped this thread would be about "harder alcohol" industry, not harder "alcohol industry".

You know what they say - a hard liquor is good to find.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:04:29 pm »

PLANT_MAT:NONE:STRUCTURAL
I'm not sure that works how think it works
Actually you are right, I use NONE:NONE since PLANT items use STRUCTURAL material by default anyway.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.