Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rendering World at Fortress Detail (without a fortress)  (Read 824 times)

jasonleeholm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Rendering World at Fortress Detail (without a fortress)
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:41 am »

Is there any way to view a world at the fortress level (individual trees and boulders) without having to make a fortress? I'm trying to make a 3D map of the world -- at least a small section of it -- and I'd like to get the detail without having to create and abandon a fortress every time. Ideally, I'd like to get a BMP of the entire map at one square scale -- I'm sure that would take forever to generate, even a pocket world, so I figured if I could start with a space the size of a default embark or the smallest embark of 2x2 on the region map, I could then just export a series of those. I'd like a single depth map, but I'd settle for a series of BMPs of all z-depths of the "embark" (that aren't open space or subterranean/unexplored) that I could paint over in photoshop to make a depth map.

Is there any easy way to get a block-by-block section of the map this way, without wasting a year for every export?

Not looking for real-time, nor an automated 3d render -- just want some kind of file I can refer to instead of a paused fortress game and the LOOK command.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Rendering World at Fortress Detail (without a fortress)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:43:41 am »

Sorry, but there isn't one. The world detail render only goes down to the region level.

It's also going to be immense. I've no idea how large exactly such a render would be, but I'm fairly certain the answer is 'impractically large'.

jasonleeholm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:56:14 am »

That's why I was saying it didn't have to be the whole map at once. The process to create a new embark takes X time, and then lets you export the regional maps at chosen z depths, and you get a series of bmps. Then you abandon the fortress, and it "saves for later use" meaning a year passes, it records the fortress for reclaiming and puts the event in the timeline. What I was hoping was that I could tell it NOT to do that extra stuff -- to generate a local map just like fortress mode does, but in Legends or something. Let me look at it and move around that section, export a map, and then exit. Legends could then dump the map (and I'm curious if you generated it a second time, would the square by square details be identical or do those change randomly while still using the depth and temperature maps and such) or save it for later use. Without actually sending any dwarfs there.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:15:47 am »

Well, the terrain also gets generated when you move with an adventurer there, not only only at fortress embark.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

jasonleeholm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:20:12 am »

Yeah, I thought of that too, only there doesn't seem to be any kind of Map Export in Adventurer mode...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:19:20 pm »

That's why I was saying it didn't have to be the whole map at once. The process to create a new embark takes X time, and then lets you export the regional maps at chosen z depths, and you get a series of bmps. Then you abandon the fortress, and it "saves for later use" meaning a year passes, it records the fortress for reclaiming and puts the event in the timeline. What I was hoping was that I could tell it NOT to do that extra stuff -- to generate a local map just like fortress mode does, but in Legends or something. Let me look at it and move around that section, export a map, and then exit. Legends could then dump the map (and I'm curious if you generated it a second time, would the square by square details be identical or do those change randomly while still using the depth and temperature maps and such) or save it for later use. Without actually sending any dwarfs there.

I'll say it again: Sorry, no such option.