Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Times when you've been really immersed in the game  (Read 6453 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Times when you've been really immersed in the game
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 09:57:31 am »

I get fairly immersed in "horror" games.  I use the term loosely because I also lump Aliens vs. Predator (the original PC game in 2000 or so) into that category.

When I was a kid, that game scared the crap out of me.  I'd be afraid to go around corners sometimes, and if I did see an alien I'd panic and waste all of my ammo shooting blindly at it.  Nowadays I laugh at them and blaze a path of death and body parts through the levels, but I still get pretty immersed in AvP and AvP2.

More recently, Dead Space and Dead Space 2 would probably be the games I've gotten most immersed in.  I liked to take these games slowly and appreciate all of the effort put into the environments, and the logs and other story elements you come across as you play them.  I wouldn't say that the games ever actually scared me, but there was a time or two I did get jumpy and nervous about continuing (low health and ammo).
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 10:16:59 am »

Back in the day when I used to play Silent Hunter III a lot.

"Depth Charges in the Water."  Oh gods.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 10:20:25 am »

Amnesia.

That is all.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 11:04:00 am »

Back in the day when I used to play Silent Hunter III a lot.

"Depth Charges in the Water."  Oh gods.

Oh god yes that game. Worst thing was I got cornered by a fleet of British Destroyers, and tried to pull a Das Boot by hiding on the seafloor. PING PING PING over and over again. They must've know I was there, because in the end they killed me when i was forced to surface or die of CO2 poisoning.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 02:49:03 pm »

I don't think there is a game that immersed me more into itself than the Thief serie (Dark Project and Metal Age as i never tried the 3rd).

It was during a fan mission of Thief : The Metal Age that i nearly jumped on my chair, as i was trying to carefully ghost a level and returning into an area i had explored before, i run head to head into a completely unexpected guard from whom i didn't even heard the footsteps despite all my ears being open (first playthrough that fan mission too)

Some of those fan missions are really high quality and very atmospheric , even more than the original campaign set.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 05:50:58 pm »

Red Dead Redemption (particularly when I was just wandering around between missions), Bastion (all the time), Ace Combat 6 (funnily enough, mainly during the most absurd sequences), and all of the Half Life games (of course)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 06:47:35 pm »

First time playing any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game, full-stop.

Also first playthrough marathonning of Borderlands made me feel like an adventurer.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 12:13:30 am »

The number of times I've developed intense, personal hatreds with characters in Crusader Kings in rediculous. I mean in real life I tend to hold grudges, so CK is really great for me. In my head I usually make little stories explaining things. It's great for the whole story RP thing.

ebarstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2012, 02:12:22 am »

I think Arma 2 is the most immersive game I've played. I don't really enjoy commanding squads that much, but playing as a soldier in a Planned Assault generated mission is a lot of fun. Or creating and playing your own missions in the editor. The dynamic AI and the fact that one shot can kill you can make even the simplest missions incredibly tense. I can't wait for Arma 3 (though it will probably melt my PC).

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2012, 02:21:09 am »

Bioshock 1 + 2, the entire time I was playing.
Zelda OoT, back in the day.
Tetris, way back in the day.
The beginning of Resident Evil 4, before it becomes shooting zombies with rocket launchers.
F-Zero GX, in which I finish races only to realize I haven't blinked the whole time.
Team Fortress 2, if the teams are balanced.
Civilization 2 + 4, just one more turn, I mean it this time.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 02:34:10 am »

Beneath A Steel Sky - I was they still made games like that.

The occasional glitch was a tad immersion-breaking at times, though.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 12:16:38 pm »

I think Arma 2 is the most immersive game I've played. I don't really enjoy commanding squads that much, but playing as a soldier in a Planned Assault generated mission is a lot of fun. Or creating and playing your own missions in the editor. The dynamic AI and the fact that one shot can kill you can make even the simplest missions incredibly tense. I can't wait for Arma 3 (though it will probably melt my PC).
Oh, have no glare on your screen, noise-cancelling headphones on, and voice control (I can only really get the no glare part and cheap little earbuds), and when you hear a bullet whiz through your head, and your really into the game, your imagination can give you the sensation (using the noise) of getting a bullet through your head.

Despite having been fragged in numerous different games, this game actually made me fear getting shot at. My mind doing the kind of stuff like I said above really sells the immersion factor in that game, and others like it.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 03:05:31 pm »

There's a million games I've felt immersed in, but the ones that made me feel out of control addicted, I-see-the-game-when-I-try-to-sleep, would probably start with Doom multiplayer, which was my first brush with multiplayer FPS.  Other games that made me feel the same way: whatever MUD (that's the original text-based MMO's, to you kiddies) it was that made me nearly bomb a semester in college, Half Life (FPS + kickass story), Team Fortress Classic (TF took mp-FPS to a great new level with teamplay and classes), World of Warcraft (the first year or so), and the Battlefield games (loved the massive multiplayer FPS aspect).  These are all games that I ended up playing for years, and have burnt out on badly enough that I have no interest in replaying (well, except a little TF2 now and then)

Games that came close to that crack high but not quite, yet I still reload and play consistently (or play their modern cousins) are the SSI Pool of Radiance series, X-Com, Civilization, Master of Magic/Master of Orion, Dwarf Fortress, Angband, Close Combat:Normandy, Jagged Alliance, Baldur's Gate.

Games like Batman/Arkham, Bioshock, Dead Space, Skyrim, etc are immersive as hell and are the meat I live on, but only month to month, in that valley between addictions to the next big thing...
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

ebarstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 06:19:24 pm »

Thinking over this topic a bit more, I think I get immersed in any game where my character isn't always at the centre of the action; i.e., where you can look/wander around and see a living world around you. As I said above, Arma 2 can be great at this. More recently, Skyrim. I absolutely love wandering around that game and stumbling upon other AI groups (be they factions, or bandits, or creatures) fighting with each other but who are completely separate from my character. The STALKER games also feature that kind of thing. I've only played a little DF, but it's the random events that can happen outside of my own agency that really pull me into that game, too.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 07:45:09 pm »

The Longing Ribbon. It's the only horror game I've ever felt was kinda scary, and it's kind of a shame that it was made in RPGmaker. It could've been scary as fuck in anything remotely modern.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4