Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Times when you've been really immersed in the game  (Read 6445 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Times when you've been really immersed in the game
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »

Uplink is easily one of the most immersive games ever made imo. Nothing quite like the suspense of a trace where you think you have only just enough time. Very easy to forget that it's only a game.
Edit: Also, WW2:OL when walking several miles to take a town, having long-distance firefights, hunting the enemy over a large field. The game in general, really.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:47:36 pm by Rakonas »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:52 pm »

Bioshock 1 and 2. Countless times I've been walking down a tunnel, nervous and shifty because I can hear a Splicer somewhere, but I can't see it.

Also, I feel pretty immersed in Skyrim, when I play for a long stretch.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 10:55:58 pm »

Freespace. When the Lucifer first jumped in, I nearly pissed myself.
Oh hell yes.
For those of you who haven't played, I don't think you really appreciate this until you've seen the Lucifer up close.

Bioshock 2. Bought more than a few games during the Steam sale but that game was one of the few that I sat down and played from beginning to end.
I did the same thing.

My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 11:11:49 pm »

Half-Life 2, every damn sequence of gameplay. Especially when there gets to be a lot of enemies, going hog wild is just so invigorating.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. That dog is downright scary.

First playthrough of Ace Combat 5. CHOPPER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (Still think AC4 was better, and ACzero only on the big b17 battle)

But it isn't really fair coming from me, I get really immersed in card games and scrabble, its just an easy thing for me.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 01:07:54 am »

The first time I rented Skies of Arcadia Legends. It was summer break, and I got so lost in it I played till dawn without realizing. That game... that one game.... made the Gamecube the best console of that generation. Hands down. If only I still had my cube, or even my controller. I would go to hell for my own copy of that game. If only I could justify the expense...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 01:29:48 am »

While playing Skyrim and wandering through the frozen wilderness. (And then I stepped into water which had ice chunks floating in it (like mini-icebergs), and it didn't harm me or do anything to me at all, and *immersion shattered*)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 01:38:12 am »

Nethack.

Played obsessivly for many months. To the point where I regularly dreamed I was an '@'. I am not kidding.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 02:21:43 am »

HL2 - Nuff said 'bout that.

Skyrim - When I first saw the beginning of the game scenes, I was absolutely stunned. Too bad the game didn't deliver true immersion to me in the end.

Fallout: New Vegas - When it involves wars and/or climaxes to the story, I feel like I'm whoever I'm controlling.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Game was creepy, and when something appeared out of nowhere, I had to keep cutting myself from getting immersed, lest I freak out. I eventually got hold of my sanity after that, and the immersion added more to the creepiness factor.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 02:49:13 am »

Shadows of Isildur, the RPI. Playing as a human warrior-slave in Mordor, serving the Haradrim either as a soldier or and errand-boy, standing around in the smoking den... I know I stayed awake all night until about 6AM at least once. :P Truly a great game.

I got quite immersed in Timesplitters 3 back in the day, fiddling around with the rather poor Mapmaker tool to try and make a whole storyline for my maps... They were never all that good, but it was still fun.
Oh and in IVAN, both attempting to win the game (and failing) and using Wizardmode to create big arenas beneath New Attnam, filling them with monsters and pitting a team of warriors against them... Oh, good fun indeed!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 07:01:18 am »

Playing Halo 1 from start to finish on legendary with a friend in coop mode was a textbook example of a flow moment.

I tend to get immersed fairly often, mostly when playing for the first time and I just get lost within the new environment. But that Halo-moment is without a doubt the strongest one in the last four or five years. Pure flow.

PokemonRocks85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 07:25:09 am »

Playing Gta iv

I was online with a few friends and it was awesome we took a bus and cops in a arena.Then took a swat truck in the evil swingset fly around to 1 city to the other and then the swat truck blow up.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 08:23:15 am »

Uplink is easily one of the most immersive games ever made imo. Nothing quite like the suspense of a trace where you think you have only just enough time. Very easy to forget that it's only a game.
Not sure how I forgot to mention Uplink. So tense!
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 08:35:28 am »

I was immersed when I played the Frozen Synapse single player campaign. The setting is really appealing to me. I almost felt like reading some books with similar concepts.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 09:28:36 am »

Oh i remember a game i got really sucked into.. Minecraft, i got a friend over and we spended a whole fucking day in that world.
We talked constantly, i just remember it.. it was so fantastic
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 09:44:51 am »

Freespace. When the Lucifer first jumped in, I nearly pissed myself.
Oh hell yes.
For those of you who haven't played, I don't think you really appreciate this until you've seen the Lucifer up close.

And of course that one mission in Freespace 2..."DIVE DIVE DIVE! Hit your afterburners, pilot!!"  :D

The original Wing Commander did a hell of a job of making it "real" too. Seeing the various other ace pilots' names crossed through after they died, not having them in the rec room to chat with anymore...and of course the branching mission tree. Screw up a few times, and you'd find yourself in Hell's Kitchen in a Scimitar, facing down some heavy opposition. It really did make it feel like your actions had a major effect on the storyline.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4