Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Orphaned dwarven babies  (Read 1979 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Orphaned dwarven babies
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:50 pm »

I did state that I was unsure if it worked in my post :P
*Hugs*

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 03:14:08 pm »

..Wait, what? No, the theory worked, somehow. I've no idea why, but after he was horribly, horribly injured, a dwarf would finally see fit to give him a handful of food or drink.
They didn't take him to the hospital, just hand-fed him. :P Try it! It worked alright til he died of infection. The spears were a bit too strong, I think.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »

Tried just using a small drop, or a single lever operated spear?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 03:33:19 pm »

Yeah, I was going to, but sadly I didn't really have the chance to test anything due to all the stuff going on in my fortress. Next time, though, I'll be sure to have a better trap set up. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 04:02:44 pm »

Why do you think that impaling the orphan on spikes is going to do any good whatsoever?
Hmm... I think you've forgotten where you are.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 04:07:37 pm »

..Wait, what? No, the theory worked, somehow. I've no idea why, but after he was horribly, horribly injured, a dwarf would finally see fit to give him a handful of food or drink.
They didn't take him to the hospital, just hand-fed him. :P Try it! It worked alright til he died of infection. The spears were a bit too strong, I think.

Are you sure that being injured had anything to do with the baby being fed?  It could have been pure coincidence that nobody got around to feeding the baby until after it was injured.

Someone needs to do some science on this.  Orphan a dozen or so babies, injure half of them, and see which ones get fed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:34 pm »

Are you sure that being injured had anything to do with the baby being fed?  It could have been pure coincidence that nobody got around to feeding the baby until after it was injured.

Someone needs to do some science on this.  Orphan a dozen or so babies, injure half of them, and see which ones get fed.

welcome back to dwarfhood
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 04:36:03 pm »

Lol!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 04:45:34 pm »

:D Sounds like a plan for my next fort! Also, the baby was left starving and dehydrated for ages, it was probably just about to die when I spiked it, and then as it was crawling away, first a bunch of dwarves cleaned up to wipe its blood off everything, and then finally one of them gave him some food and water.
Maybe it was coincidence, who knows?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 05:45:23 pm »

Maybe they noticed becase they came to clean up blood and vomit.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 10:44:18 pm »

Hmm, it might be good to do some !!SCIENCE!! on this AND combine it with Dwarven Child Care.  This dwarf didn't look like a good candidate though, too weak.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 07:05:18 am »

Somehow I can't help but think of the baby spiking as a complete success, in that it helps advance the science of dwarvern child care.

Now that I think about it though, a more humane (dorfmane?) way to injure the child would have been conventional dwarven child "care", wall it in and pit a bunch of poultry or puppies in with it. A 1x1 meeting zone also helps to keep animals on top of the child care victim.

Seeing that dwarvern infant care is in it's infancy, it would be helpful to do more experimentation. I know an effective way to separate infants from their mothers, which allows the mother to survive to produce more victims infants. Dropping dwarves into a swimming pool (preferably around 6/7 deep) will cause mothers to drop their infants. The mothers climb out, leaving infants in the pool. The pool can then be sealed off and drained, leaving a pool full of stranded infants which can be experimented upon without their mothers trying to interfere with the scientific process.
In fact the ideal experimental setup would have the floor of the pool a retracting bridge over grates the next level down. Pulling the lever causes the pool to drain and filters out the infants onto the grates. The area they fall into can be isolated from the rest of the fort, populated by a small staff of scientists. If, in this context, babies are reliably fed (if the caretakers have nothing better to do they might be more eager) then it would also provide a way of raising dwarvern babies safely away from their mothers (lets face it, female dwarf's are a bit too dorfy to make good mothers).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 07:14:39 am »

-o_O-

Has anyone tried keeping a fort with a sustained level of 6/7 water? Would the babies learn how to swim?

dorfdokamine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorf in the making
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 04:03:36 pm »

My dwarves manage without water. As far as I can tell, it takes longer for a baby to start drinking booze than it does for it to die. Leave him.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 08:29:48 pm »

-o_O-
Has anyone tried keeping a fort with a sustained level of 6/7 water? Would the babies learn how to swim?
I would assume so, yes. It would cause you to be spammed at every single step with "Dangerous Terrain!" messages though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3