Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Orphaned dwarven babies  (Read 1984 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orphaned dwarven babies
« on: January 26, 2012, 03:27:26 am »

So, like it says on the tin: When an unfortunate baby dwarf, too young to fend for itself; is left without parents, is there any way at all to keep 'em alive? Or are they doomed to die, crawling about the bloodstained floors of my fort with nary a teat to suckle? :'(
Since a dwarf with a strange mood I don't have the means to fulfil just gave birth, and I'd rather keep him alive to fulfil whatever destiny he's supposed to. I mean, his mother was posessed, his father was long dead in the last siege? Powerful wyrd right there, man.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Orphaned dwarven babies
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 04:03:24 am »

You could try wounding it, I don't know if they get brought to the hospital, but if they do, other dwarfs may feed and water them like regular hospital patients.
*Hugs*

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:06:34 am »

I love the way Darven Orphan care is a broken leg. :D

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 04:36:27 am »

Actually, according to the Wiki, it says they are brought food and water automatically... I was pretty sure this wasn't the case, though. ??? We'll see what happens... If little Kogan starts dehydrating or starving, it's time for the 5zlvl slippery dip!... Er, drop. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 06:19:49 am »

If you want to minimize injuries then you could try to stab the little blighter with a training spear. Though I haven't done extensive testing on injuring infant, I find that with adult dwarves spears tend to cause less damage than a 2z drop. Silver spears, or elvish wooden spears, are good choices for adults. But for an infant I'd try a training spear first. Getting it on top of the upright spear trap can be as simple as waiting for it to fall unconscious and building the trap under it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »

Arggh, no-one's feeding or watering him... He's dehydrated and all. :-\ Starting to consider using DFhack to switch to adventure mode, posess him and retire him in a human town or something... But that's a pain in the rear, so I'd rather some other option. I might try the spears option, but it'll be tricky.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 07:19:19 pm »

FFUUUUUU--

Okay, take two. ::)

Edit: Oh, you have got to be kidding me. So, it worked eventually, after two more instant death attempts, just stabbing the lad in the stomach, breaking his left arm in two places, severing his right and shattering his leg.
But now, no-one's taking him to the hospital... >:( Some stupid animal dissector is even standing on the kid as he cleans up the blood. How do I fix this, guys?!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:35:24 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 07:39:27 pm »

I don't think babies get taken to the hospital.  Normally the mother just carries the baby around, even if the baby is injured.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do to save the baby.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 07:42:42 pm »

OH GOD THE FACEPALMS CONTINUE!

...So the kid's lying there, people stepping around (or on) him to go about their business, several of them swiftly cleaning up his sprayed blood and vomit as they leave him there, and finally, finally, after having almost all of his limbs severed or broken and pouring a small lake of baby barf over my entrance, (seriously I didn't know DF kids were so realistic) someone gives him a bucket of water. Yeah, ta for that, Oddom! Mind putting the kid's mangled body in the hospital while you're at it?! ...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Edit: This kid's a tough one, though... Despite his extreme pain, losing consciousness repeatedly, he went from 'miserable' to 'fine' just from being given a drink and a slice of prepared lung. If he somehow survives, I am gonna celebrate.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:47:40 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 11:53:35 pm »

(Sorry for double posting again, but I have a new question now.)

So, little Kogan's just survived his second babysitting session with Aunty spike trap.
It involved a punctured lung and several more broken bones, though... I was thinking, since he tends to pass out a tile or two away from the trap, do dwarves starve or die of thirst when kept in a cage?
If not, I could just get him to pass out on a cage trap and leave him in there 'til he grows up. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 12:25:40 am »

(Sorry for double posting again, but I have a new question now.)

So, little Kogan's just survived his second babysitting session with Aunty spike trap.
It involved a punctured lung and several more broken bones, though... I was thinking, since he tends to pass out a tile or two away from the trap, do dwarves starve or die of thirst when kept in a cage?
If not, I could just get him to pass out on a cage trap and leave him in there 'til he grows up. :P
Dwarves and animals which need to eat will starve to death in a cage.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 06:48:46 am »

I had one live to childhood(but I ended that with a poorly built wall during a siege) in 31.12, where the mother was doing melee with goblins while holding her(baby in the logs biting at the gobs).  Mother dies, so to get to the meeting area, it had to crawl across ~3 map squares to the stairs and 3 squares back.  It almost died of starvation or thirst about 3-4 times (absolute last second feedings).  And that was just for the trip.

I was going to make her my baroness, but I abandoned the fort so she wouldn't "die" because of my mistake.

So it WAS possible at some point and might still be, they just seem to wait till after it's too late to bring food/water.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:51:02 am by Schmlok »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 08:51:31 am »

Thanks for the help, guys! Anyway, we're halfway there!...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...Although at this rate I think he might be happier dead. :-\ He's stuck in a cage trap, by the way... I'm having it melted to free him. I thought dumping it would work, but no, he just got thrown down the trash chute. >.<
What's the term... 'Quality of Life'?

Edit: Aw, the kid died, sadly. :( I'd savescummed a few times to get the training spears to just injure him without killing him, but this time it was an infection... Well, RIP I guess. I'll have to optimize my spike-babysitting system in case of future orphans. That means, only one spike, and no masterworks... :-\
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:22:57 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 12:46:49 pm »

Why do you think that impaling the orphan on spikes is going to do any good whatsoever?  Babies don't get taken to the hospital, and even if it was it's no more likely to be fed or watered there than elsewhere.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:26 pm »

The theory was flawed, better luck next time
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2 3