Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: New "DFGs" from Mike Mayday  (Read 15357 times)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New "DFGs" from Mike Mayday
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 08:31:37 am »

Probably because default curses font is not square and because Toady doesn't see it being non-square as problem. It is not a problem for me either, it seems to be personal taste.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 08:50:57 am »

Probably because default curses font is not square and because Toady doesn't see it being non-square as problem. It is not a problem for me either, it seems to be personal taste.
That kind of makes me feel like Toady has a woeful disregard for aesthetics of any kind. But I should've known that already.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 06:44:49 pm »

Does anyone know where the dfg is stored in the df raws?( or if it is) i'd liek ot know so i can merge the new and old dfg see if i can find a mix that i'll like.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 07:07:51 pm »

Does anyone know where the dfg is stored in the df raws?( or if it is) i'd liek ot know so i can merge the new and old dfg see if i can find a mix that i'll like.

The creature graphics are just stored in raw/graphics.  The older DFG versions used a few seperate folders and the new one is just throwing all of the files together in the graphics folder.

The tileset is located in data/art if you're looking to alter that as well.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 07:25:16 pm »

I'll clip out the new dfg from the image see how much i can change and still make it comprehensible while looking at text..
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

funymunky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 03:24:54 am »

To be honest, I prefer this version. Sure, it's not as graphical, but it seems a lot cleaner, and it'll be a nice way to ease myself into ASCII. Assuming I eventually want to convert.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 03:39:02 am »

I can't stand the ASCII as comes standard with DF because it isn't square, so i usually change that firs thing, othwerise i'm happy with it

This. Anyone knows the reason why default is not square?

Thirded. I hate, hate, HATE it when I see a rectangular room and have to tell myself it's square. Eventually I got so used to it that when I first used a square tileset I tended to overdesignate, because my brain processed a certain size of rectangle as a square.

At that moment I declared, "As god as my witness, I will never use a rectangular tileset again!"

/beingboredanddramatic
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 01:00:11 pm »

Oh my heavens, that looks awful. URgh. Do I bite the bullet and finally put up with ASCII?

Aw hell naw, I don't want to.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »

Yeah I vastly prefer the classic DFG, the walls and floors just look so much smoother. Fortunately it's not that difficult to update it to each new version of DF even if Mayday drops "official" support for it - I'm sure someone will post an updated DFG for each new patch. Unfortunately you'll have to go digging through a forum post or DFFD to find it, or even build it yourself (tricky if you're not familiar with the process), rather than just getting it off the front page of Mayday's website, which I'm afraid would discourage the average user and cause the old DFG to gradually die away.

Frankly I'm baffled why he would stop updating it. If I understand correctly the engine puts a harsh limitation on the total tiles that can be displayed, so new items/features/whatever can't get their own tiles.. but I still want to use all the great tiles we already have (which cover the vast majority of the game anyway). And none of that has anything to do with changing the wall tiles (the new version uses the same number of precious tiles on displaying walls), which I can't understand - am I the only one who thinks it looks like a terrible downgrade going from smooth walls to blocky ones with a strange line running through the middle?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:42:35 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 02:53:20 pm »

- am I the only one who thinks it looks like a terrible downgrade going from smooth walls to blocky ones with a strange line running through the middle?
I'm with you -- the old walls looked much better. I don't think there's any technical reason why they had to change, but that makes me wonder why Mayday would change them. Then again, I didn't get why he included "highlighted" graphics by default, either (I always change that; all that brown looks awful to me). If there isn't any real reason, it should be pretty simple to change them back. Just look at tile tables in the picture. Open DFG's old tileset in Paint/Photoshop, select the area with the wall sprites, & paste it over in DFGs's tileset.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 03:28:25 pm »

The Original DFG from Mayday is what really helped me enjoy this game.
I have some trouble with the ASCII Graphics due to a brain glioma that was operated away and it tends to mess up my vision pretty badly when I play with black background and text (like the front page of this site lol) then again Im pretty happy I can play this game at all he he considering the other options I had...

Anyway I personally will stick with the option that works best for me and perhaps in the future switch back to ASCII if my brain allows me ^_^

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 05:30:32 pm »

Aye, hope this doesn't sound high horsey but I'm glad I never got into tilesets. Seems like this new update's gonna be pretty bittersweet for a lot of people. I feel for you bros, but you'll learn to love the runic mystery box. Bonus points when your friends see you playing DF and you look extra wizard to them.

And think of it this way, knowing what everything looked like as a tile for so long will really help you understand what it is in magespeak.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 05:23:54 pm »

And think of it this way, knowing what everything looked like as a tile for so long will really help you understand what it is in magespeak.
Not another of those folks...  ::)
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 05:38:22 pm »

Before everyone gets too doom and gloom about the horror of playing DF sans graphics, I should point out that DFG isn't the only tileset out there. Phoebus and Ironhand both make full graphic tilesets that are going to continue to be so for the forseeable future.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 07:07:29 pm »

Well MikeMayday is one of the few people who actually tries to tile everything.

A lot of tilesets skimp out in a few areas for some unknown reason.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5