Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Underwater Fortress  (Read 8108 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater Fortress
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 12:15:34 pm »

You LIE! IT IS WEAVED FROM THE SKIN OF DWARVES MIXED WITH THE BLOOD OF ELVES!

ELF SPY!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »

Thats Adamantium. We're talking about Adamantine.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 12:30:18 pm »

LIES! ADAMANTIUM IS NAUGHT BUT A SIMPLE IMITATION OF ADAMANTINE! BURN THE ELF SPY!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:56 pm »

I'm not an elf spy! I'm on a diet! :P
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 12:41:34 pm »

DIET? Elf.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 12:45:46 pm »

Elves can't go on a diet. They smoke dope.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »

He didn't mention what kind of diet.

He could be doing the 40d diet.

Eating dwarven beer roasts (made from minced dwarven beer), and drinking nothing but alcohol.

Its the dwarven version of the liquid diet. (For health reasons, toady disabled this feature though in recent versions, but can be reenabled easily enough with a few edits in the raws.)

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 01:17:00 pm »

Hmmm i am very interested in attempting an underwater fortress, my question is how do you drain the ocean into the aquifer? do you have to dig down to the z level of the bottom of the ocean and drain it down there? does the aquifer go that far down?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 01:27:18 pm »

Aquifers (and oceans) are infinite storage for water.

The reason is because they are 7/7 water at edge of site.
Water from the ocean is several zlevels deep, and is under pressure.
Opening a "drain" to the aquifer will "teleport" the vast majority of water from the ocean down to the aquifer, where it runs off the side of the map, because the water is forced down the hole with exceedingly great pressure.

The issue is, if you are able to get under the ocean, why drain it?

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 01:35:40 pm »

Interesting, so say if i dug down from say the beach, and when i reached the layer of the bottom of the ocean then dug towards the ocean

would that work?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:21 pm »

The dwarf that opens the hole will go on a !!SUPER FUN!! Waterslide ride.

He might end up in the !!awesome!! Underground swimming pool, if he isn't turned into bloody bits from collidng with an obstacle first.

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 01:49:47 pm »

To shreds you say,

I see now that's why you would need a freezing biome to dig down through the ocean and then put the aquifer drain

Although now that you mention a water slide, i think i know what my next mega project is going to be...

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 03:31:40 pm »

To shreds you say,

I see now that's why you would need a freezing biome to dig down through the ocean and then put the aquifer drain

No you don't.... You also don't need an aquifer. Carving a fortification in the map edge creates a perfectly good infinite water drain. One of the things which should be mentioned about aquifers and map edges is that they are infinite water drains - not only do they accept unlimited water without every becoming full (it's best to say the water vanishes from existence), they accept water at an unlimited rate also - a single aquifer tile can absorb the whole ocean in a single tick. Because pressurized water (that is, water falling into water from above) happily teleports through 7/7 water, you also don't need wide drainage shafts, 1x1 is perfectly serviceable, and in some ways superior to wider shafts (it improves the ability of water to teleport).

Anyway if you want to use a non-freezing map, the trick is to dig out the complete drainage system below the ocean floor. Now destroy the floor of the ocean using a cave-in (collapse some constructed floors). It is also possible to use (possibly sacrificial) miners to dig downstairs into the ocean floor from below. I say "possibly sacrificial", I have done it without losing miners, but where exactly they'll get flushed to is extremely unpredictable. If you put many escape stairways (that is, an upstairs through a diagonal to cut off water pressure) then they will probably be able to escape before drowning. Also if you use floodgates to temporarily block off most of the drainage system the destination of the miner will be more predictable, making it easier to provide an escape route. You could also embark with an adequate swimmer, who will under some cases have a better chance of surviving.

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 05:12:18 pm »

oooh i think i understand it now,
so is how i'm picturing it in my mind correct?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does that seem right? i dont mind losing some dwarfs

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 08:08:56 pm »

Yup, that's right. Also, make extensive use of up/down stairs for the drainage system, because they allow both water and dwarves to pass through.
Pages: 1 [2] 3