Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Underwater Fortress  (Read 8110 times)

Dwarfinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underwater Fortress
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:14:02 pm »

I was reading the MegaProjects section in the wiki and saw the underwater fortress challenge. It requires that you build a fortress completely underwater. I considered embarking in an area with an ocean but I didn't know if the ocean had an unlimited amount of water. I thought about it and I could not come up with a way other than to completely drain the entire ocean or aquifer long enough to build walls. I don't know if this has any chance of working at all given the physics in the game.

I think that it would only be possible if you build or carved out a fortress and then build a resivior around it. I guess that would technically work but I don't think the 'Atlantis' portion of this challenge would work at all. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Mwah ha ha ha ha....

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:20:25 pm »

It might work on a freezing biome that freezes at least a short time in the year.

You could then channel out the initial path to the fortress, and build the "hatchway" down.

When it thaws in the spring, the water will melt, and the channeled out area will vanish, leaving only the hatchway and constructed fortress.

There *are* feshwater seas from time to time in worldgen.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:23:17 pm »

I didn't know if the ocean had an unlimited amount of water.

It is unlimited

I thought about it and I could not come up with a way other than to completely drain the entire ocean or aquifer long enough to build walls. I don't know if this has any chance of working at all given the physics in the game.

Well, you could embark on an ocean WITH an aquifer, then drain ocean into aquifer. Make sure to install a floodgate first, to shut it off.

I think that it would only be possible if you build or carved out a fortress and then build a resivior around it. I guess that would technically work but I don't think the 'Atlantis' portion of this challenge would work at all. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is quite fun.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:24:16 pm »

Drop hollow rectangles of cast obsidian to the ocean floor until it reaches the surface. Drain the interior and build a city on the ocean floor, out of glass. Collapse the obsidian wall into the ocean floor to flood the center and cover the city with water. Done.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:52:49 am »

Wouldn't the ocean just flow endlessly into the aquifer? They are both endless water sources. The ocean flows in from the edge of the map. So you'd basically be creating a river.

The critical factor would be how fast it could drain versus how fast it would fill again. If you could get it to drain really fast, you could get down to the bottom long enough to build a temporary dam.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 03:11:05 am »

Drop hollow rectangles of cast obsidian to the ocean floor until it reaches the surface. Drain the interior and build a city on the ocean floor, out of glass. Collapse the obsidian wall into the ocean floor to flood the center and cover the city with water. Done.

I want to try this now.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 03:14:41 am »

Such a plan is unworkable. You'd need large amounts of magma and water. The water you'd have, but magma....you'd have to dig down to HFS, and that's not an option unless you want to die early.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:25:22 am »

The winter freezing trick would work though.

When winter hits, and things freeze, you channel.  The exposed water insta-freezes, giving you access to the next level down. (Beware the dangers of creating dwarfcicles!)

You channel out an inverted step pyramid, and as quickly as you can, you build a small 3x3 tower with an up/down stair stack in the middle up to the surface. You must finish the "snorkel" before the spring melt.

After that, you build a bridge to the snorkel, then use your snazzy new conduit down to "rapture" to build your undersea utopia by digging out the seabed.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 05:56:26 am »

Such a plan is unworkable. You'd need large amounts of magma and water. The water you'd have, but magma....you'd have to dig down to HFS, and that's not an option unless you want to die early.

I was going to challenge you with "What are you, a pansy elf?", and then I saw your username.  Touché!

In any case, there's a vast sea of magma above the HFS, so what's the problem? 

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 06:01:39 am »

Basically when you open up the ocean to an undersea drain, whether an aquifer, cavern or the map edge, the entire ocean will teleport down the drain - except the lowest level of the ocean (that is, water on top of land) which will flow in normally. This is due to water pressure.

Unfortunately if you already have an underground access to under the ocean, it kind of defeats the purpose of building the undersea fortress. A REAL dwarf would use a barrage of pumps to pump the ocean back off the map edge (back to where ye came from, foul watery stuff!), for long enough to wall off sections of the ocean and build a fortress under the sea which can only be accessed through the sea. While the map edge generates a lot of water, a pump does suck water faster than a single map edge tile generates it, so with enough pumps it could be done.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 06:14:09 am »

You channel out an inverted step pyramid, and as quickly as you can, you build a small 3x3 tower with an up/down stair stack in the middle up to the surface. You must finish the "snorkel" before the spring melt.

After that, you build a bridge to the snorkel, then use your snazzy new conduit down to "rapture" to build your undersea utopia by digging out the seabed.

No need to channel out a pyramid. Instead, stairs and channels like
Code: [Select]
XXXXX
X___X
X___X
X___X
XXXXX

Then, to bypass aquifer which always follows, rather the double-slit method.

I can confirm it works, I used this as an escape trick once after embarking on a terrifying saltwater swamp/ocean beach and finding the swamp was full of beak dogs. Dwarves took what they could to the ice, dug down and eventually built a fort under the ocean connected from one tower to the land.

I guess in a freezing biome, you could then just mine out ice from under the sea in wintertime to construct your glass domes there. Does it make it kind of too easy?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 09:55:54 am »

No, you can safely dig to the magma sea and pump the magma back up, or just find a surface volcano near the ocean. At the same time, use the stone you dig out to build the magmaduct and dropper over the ocean. You need to find a part of the shore where it drops off fast so that you can build a few z-levels of city down there. Living in the dirt under the ocean floor isn't really a underwater fortress, it's still an underground fortress.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 11:50:52 am »

Basically when you open up the ocean to an undersea drain, whether an aquifer, cavern or the map edge, the entire ocean will teleport down the drain - except the lowest level of the ocean (that is, water on top of land) which will flow in normally. This is due to water pressure.

Unfortunately if you already have an underground access to under the ocean, it kind of defeats the purpose of building the undersea fortress. A REAL dwarf would use a barrage of pumps to pump the ocean back off the map edge (back to where ye came from, foul watery stuff!), for long enough to wall off sections of the ocean and build a fortress under the sea which can only be accessed through the sea. While the map edge generates a lot of water, a pump does suck water faster than a single map edge tile generates it, so with enough pumps it could be done.

I want to do this now, and since I'm a dirty little creature magical overseer provider of hungerlesness that cheats
turns air into adamantine through puffs of logic, that can be done from day 1

Adamantine screw pumps!!!
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 12:02:30 pm »

Ah. But to get adamantine, you'd need to release the clowns.

This fortress would not be ready if you did so.

And no, filthy HUMAN, I am not pansy elf.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 12:14:20 pm »

Ah. But to get adamantine, you'd need to release the clowns.

This fortress would not be ready if you did so.

And no, filthy HUMAN, I am not pansy elf.

Didn't you read that I can smelt Adamantine Wafers out of the strands of Dwarven Beard?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.
Pages: [1] 2 3