Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Underwater Fortress  (Read 8101 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater Fortress
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 12:36:53 am »

A REAL dwarf would use a barrage of pumps to pump the ocean back off the map edge (back to where ye came from, foul watery stuff!), for long enough to wall off sections of the ocean and build a fortress under the sea which can only be accessed through the sea. While the map edge generates a lot of water, a pump does suck water faster than a single map edge tile generates it, so with enough pumps it could be done.
I always considered it an exploit to drain the ocean into an aquifer or the map edge( through fortifications) so one fort i started
building a wall of pumps around the map for drainage, it went well untill some invaders smashed some gears turning off the stack, also for some reason i lost over 2/3 of my population from waves knocking them off the pumps.
I learned something, but never went back for another try.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 01:17:29 am »

alright im attempting to drain the ocean, however in stead of causing a cave in over the tunnel system, i used a miner to dig a ramp up to the ocean, and the ocean didn't seem to drain in one step, is the ramp the reason why?

EDIT:
Well my game fps has reached playable levels again and now i have a different question, how should i build at the bottom of the ocean, since water is still permanently flowing into the ocean even if it is draining away?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:31:30 am by twichyboy »

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 05:33:51 am »

Only water which is deeper than 7z deep (ie water on top of water) will teleport down the drain, water which is 7/7 or less deep, will just flow in normally. In order to build on the floor of the ocean, you basically need to make a "wall" of drainage between the area you want to build on, and the map edge. Channeling will work fine for this, providing a route for the water to drain - so basically just channel a 1 wide ditch across the map then when you're finished, close the drain and let the ocean refill.

LordFerrok

• Bay Watcher
  • Deranged raving lunatic with delusions of god
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 07:40:39 pm »

finding a place where the ocean freezes is actualy suprisingly easy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:02:40 pm by LordFerrok »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 01:53:59 pm »

1. Acquire picks
2. Squire Dorfs
3. Get in dire situations
4. Embark in area with mire implications
5. Dig out your fortress with fires ablaze
6. Defile temple
7. Construct temple
8. Flood everything with water source