Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Secret Surprises for the Intelligent Invader  (Read 2849 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Surprises for the Intelligent Invader
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 09:42:42 pm »

The Tomb of Horrors.

Or, you could incorporate a segment where you have to open a door and navigate a maze while being chased by a magma flood - a single lever opens the door and releases the magma behind you, blocking escape. Pulling the lever again shouldn't close the magma hatches.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 09:50:01 pm »

Easily done with non magma safe mechanisms. The floodgate will simply detatch.

Another:

Build fortress population to reasonably high levels. Initiate a tantrum sprial. Wait for ghosts to kill the rest of the fortress. This leaves the murerous ghosts at the site.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 10:21:27 pm »

Build fortress population to reasonably high levels. Initiate a tantrum sprial. Wait for ghosts to kill the rest of the fortress. This leaves the murerous ghosts at the site.

OR murder fortress population with atom smashing bridges on a regular basis. Don't slab any ghosts. Try to keep going as long as possible, using migrants to increase the number of ghosts. Try to see if there is a ghost cap.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 12:45:59 am »

Another:

Using ghosts as a weapon. How can you take advantage of this? Can you herd them into one area?
Playing since 2007

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 12:56:11 am »

I still like the 16 lever puzzle I mentioned earlier.  Makes a nice neat 4x4 square of levers. If the incorrect sequence is triggered, there is a chance of flooding the room. There is a delay before the door opens on the correct sequence (the rube goldberg contraption has to do its thing first), making an impatient human skip it as ineffectual.
Instead of just 4x4, make it big enough to draw something (not all levers have to be active). Example: To get through, you have to have a good old smiley dwarf. If you draw a g, it opens the goblin cave. etc.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 01:05:39 am »

How about an artificial river which is kept full by a pump. Figuring out how to disable the water pump, drains the river, and provides access to a secret tunnel.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 01:14:29 am »

How about an artificial river which is kept full by a pump. Figuring out how to disable the water pump, drains the river, and provides access to a secret tunnel.

The inverse would be having to flood a room so that you can swim up to an inaccessible ledge a few z-levels above you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 04:11:59 am »

Another:

Using ghosts as a weapon. How can you take advantage of this? Can you herd them into one area?

The intent was for adventure mode !!FUN!!.  IIRC homocidal ghosts go after dwarves. A dwarf adventurer could be "yummy".

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 05:24:28 am »

I still like the 16 lever puzzle I mentioned earlier.  Makes a nice neat 4x4 square of levers. If the incorrect sequence is triggered, there is a chance of flooding the room. There is a delay before the door opens on the correct sequence (the rube goldberg contraption has to do its thing first), making an impatient human skip it as ineffectual.

That' s a chance of 1 in 65,536 of opening the door bro.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 05:51:49 am »

Another:

The intent was for adventure mode !!FUN!!.  IIRC homocidal ghosts go after dwarves. A dwarf adventurer could be "yummy".

Do ghosts still appear in adventure mode though?

I think red herring levers could be entertaining. One door, three levers. Blue one floods the room with water, red one floods the room with magma, grey one obsidianises you. And the one to open the door is either hidden by a pillar or in a different room entirely...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 06:32:49 am »

its a lot worse if you count the order in which you flip levers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 01:02:44 pm »

I am well aware of this. (Evil, sadistic laughter.)

It is so much more FUN than a 2x2 lever puzzle. That only has 16 possible combinations. I want to frustrate the shit out of the adventue mode player.  Especially if I put some of ASCIt's research to use, and have a thriving slade crafts surplus stored in there.

Are you telling me you wouldn't at last try to get a 600U scepter for your misc item thrower to use? (Note, this is heavier than most boulders.) ....just behind that door.........

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 01:36:18 pm »

The inverse would be having to flood a room so that you can swim up to an inaccessible ledge a few z-levels above you.

I hated the Water Temple.
Pages: 1 [2]