Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Let's Play Aurora - Ad Astra per Aspera  (Read 38101 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Aurora - Ad Astra per Aspera
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2012, 02:43:11 am »

Don't forget, your good buddy General EuchreJack wants to command a marine unit.  Semper Fi!

Me too, I'd like to claim a marine squad, "NRDL Raiders". 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2012, 02:54:16 am »

Well, those missiles makes our no-missile rules seems a bit silly.

I suggest we change the rules as following:

The AC Automaton missiles use incredibly tiny component, way beyong our capability to manufacture. While we can use them, we can only manufacture them at Ordinance Factories scavenged from the Automaton, using Automaton design.

That should give us an extra weapon, but prevent us from using missiles as anything else than a last-stad weapon, seeing as we'll have so few of them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2012, 07:12:36 am »

using Automaton design.

Does this mean we can't design our own, dwarfy missiles? D:
Also, this poster is a bit of an Aurora nub. I am not responsible for anything stupid I say around here.

...I don't actually want a unit, by the way, since no one would pronounce my name right. :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2012, 07:27:45 am »

Well, actually, missiles are so powerful using them ain't no fun. Using only scavenged design and facotries means it got a huge drawback, which make using missile more balanced.

It'd just feel silly not using missiles when we've got thousands of them stockpiled.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2012, 10:03:42 am »

It'd just feel silly not using missiles when we've got thousands of them stockpiled.

We could have a cold war. IN SPACE.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2012, 10:28:14 am »

Does this mean you won't build ordinance factories?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2012, 10:30:14 am »

That's what I'd suggest. But then, I'm not doing the playin'. Breme is the king here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2012, 11:46:05 am »

As I recall, we're not barred from using missiles, but Bremen is going to halve all warhead strengths. So in other words, we can still us the traditional WH 4-9-16 sequence, but the missiles themselves will be substantially larger until we reach medium tech, at which point the WH, Agi, engine power, and fuel efficiency multipliers effectively eliminate size as a limiter.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2012, 03:33:13 pm »

Well, actually, missiles are so powerful using them ain't no fun. Using only scavenged design and facotries means it got a huge drawback, which make using missile more balanced.

I was thinking more along the lines of using them in silly ways, hence dwarfy. =P
Speaking of silly ways, question number one. Not related to our tech whatsoever, of course. Can missiles have stealth? Would there even be a point to such things?

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2012, 05:13:49 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of using them in silly ways, hence dwarfy. =P
Speaking of silly ways, question number one. Not related to our tech whatsoever, of course. Can missiles have stealth? Would there even be a point to such things?

Missiles can have ECM, but not stealth. They're innately very hard to detect, though; the sensors on a Rodney can only detect 15 ton or smaller missiles at about 250,000 km, which is the edge of long range beam weapon ranges at the current tech level (and probably less than 10 seconds travel time for a missile). ECM doesn't make them harder to detect, but makes them harder to hit with defensive fire.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2012, 05:58:10 pm »

Missiles can have ECM, but not stealth. They're innately very hard to detect, though; the sensors on a Rodney can only detect 15 ton or smaller missiles at about 250,000 km, which is the edge of long range beam weapon ranges at the current tech level (and probably less than 10 seconds travel time for a missile). ECM doesn't make them harder to detect, but makes them harder to hit with defensive fire.
Ah, I see.

I was thinking we could use large, slowish, long-range MIRVs to support our gunboat squadrons from afar. After all, the carriers and other capital ships are hiding in a corner anyways, might as well give them a bit of long-range firepower. Hell, put drones on the things and fill them with missiles. As far as I'm aware, drones aren't in style. Then again, I don't know what's required to make drones. Might be a problem, there.  :-\

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2012, 06:58:47 pm »

Ah, I see.

I was thinking we could use large, slowish, long-range MIRVs to support our gunboat squadrons from afar. After all, the carriers and other capital ships are hiding in a corner anyways, might as well give them a bit of long-range firepower. Hell, put drones on the things and fill them with missiles. As far as I'm aware, drones aren't in style. Then again, I don't know what's required to make drones. Might be a problem, there.  :-\

MIRVs (which would be a drone first-stage with multiple micromissile second stages) tend to be better for saturation bombardment than anything else, and are generally pretty slow. If we're wanting LRM capability, it would be better to go with a larger-than-normal standard missile with high fuel capacity, though we may want to do a bit more research into fuel efficiency before doing that.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2012, 07:25:43 pm »

With regards to missiles, I did some checking and just capturing a stockpile doesn't give us the ability to build missiles, nor does it seem to let me see the stats. If people want I could probably do some SMing and come up with a missile design I could claim was the Automaton one, though, which we could build with the 2 salvaged ordinance factories.

For using them, I was kind of toying with the idea of shipping them to Earth (which would require developing a collier ship) and building a missile base there as a last line of defense. But with only 662 missiles I'm not sure if it's really worth it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2012, 07:27:20 pm »

Honestly, it might be more interesting if we can capture *cough* one of their ships that uses that type of missile, which would give us that sort of limited missile capability wrapped in a rather nice strategic problem.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2012, 07:30:27 pm »

Next time we find some Automatons I promise to try to capture them :P
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17