Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PowerPC MAC and Dwarf Fort, How Do?  (Read 1123 times)

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PowerPC MAC and Dwarf Fort, How Do?
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:57:38 pm »

I'm completely lost as this is the first time I've touched a MAC. I'm stranded at the moment with access only to this ancient laptop and I've spent about 10 hours trying to make this work with Dwarf Fort to no avail.

Can anyone help me? I can give any information you might need but I'm not sure what it is I need to give, lol.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PowerPC MAC and Dwarf Fort, How Do?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:31:17 pm »

Finally, the last version of 40d seems playable... Unfortunately I started playing after 2010 was released so I have no idea what to do in 40d.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:42:29 pm »

Yeah, when DF was upgraded to 2010 a side effect was that support for the old power PC processors was cut. So if you want to play DF 2010 on a mac it needs to have one of the intel processors. Feel free to play 40d as much as you want though, since it is basically the same, the only real differences being the military command, lack of burrows and no caverns/magma sea/changed HFS. There is also some difference with materials as well, mainly being that the normal edged weapon rating (adamantine>steel>iron>bronze/copper) holds true for all weapons and armor pretty much always.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:46:22 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by edge weapons... what's the problem? Having trouble understanding that the way that you wrote it.

I've grown accustomed to graphic sets like phoebus. Is there any way to use those with 40d?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:48:03 pm »

I was just saying that in 40d adamantine>steel>iron>bronze/copper always, where in DF 2010 blunt weapons are steel/silver>copper/iron/bronze>>adamantine.

As for texture packs, I'm pretty sure that installation instructions are pretty similar for both 40d and 2010, though because there are many new creatures/professions, you might need to look around in order to find a version that has all of the right tiles for 40d and isn't full of extra ones from 2010.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 08:37:21 am »

Feel free to play 40d as much as you want though, since it is basically the same, the only real differences being the military command, lack of burrows and no caverns/magma sea/changed HFS.

... and health care, milking, shearing & spinning, grazing/pasturing, nobles, beekeeping, pottery, ....

However, I agree that the military system is the biggest change.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 03:03:20 pm »

This Mac is so slooooooooooow. What I can accomplish in 15 minutes on my PC takes me over an hour with this crap... currently looking at ways to speed up DF 40d on this old Mac.

I installed phoebus in 40d, which made things a little laggier but easier to deal with in that I'm not experiencing the shock of a lack of graphical help combined with an older version and a far slower computer.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 05:09:18 pm »

I think that 40d actually runs naturally slower than 31.xx, so you might just have to bear with it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 07:43:58 pm »

I think that 40d actually runs naturally slower than 31.xx, so you might just have to bear with it.
Yeah it does run a little bit slower since the graphics run using a really old system (the one before Baughn updated it).