Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War dog killed by stone fall trap  (Read 431 times)

randomjgj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War dog killed by stone fall trap
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

Just following up on the other trap issues that have been reported.  I've only lost one war dog to a trap, but the interesting thing is that I've only lost the one war dog to a trap.  

I've pretty liberally sprinkled traps - mostly stonefall - all around the fort entrance and trade depot.  This war dog belonged to one of the patrolling marksdwarves that's posted around the fort entrance.  There are cats, dogs, horses, donkeys etc all wandering around the trapped area and they're going over trapped tiles repeatedly, but only this one war dog managed to trigger a trap.

The elf diplomat and the human caravan arrived and at that point I saved the game.  I'm going to go ahead and see if they trigger the traps on their way in.

Oh yeah, I should note that a kobold thief actually made it past a cage trap to the inside of the fortress.  So maybe cage traps aren't as uber any longer.

<Edit>

The elf diplomat had no trouble with the traps, he's walked over more than a dozen trapped tiles without triggering any of them.

The human diplomat triggered the first trap he encountered, becoming pretty seriously maimed, with a red foot and lower arm.  After being unconscious for a while he got up and gamely continued crawling towards, and eventually, into the  fortress.  Interestingly enough he didn't trigger any of the other traps he walked through; stonefall, weapon or cage.  Perhaps because he's crawling?

The human wagons didn't drive over any traps and they all made it to the depot just fine along the road.  The human guards, however, weren't so lucky.  They like to pace alongside of the wagons, a few tiles out to either side.  They ran into the stonefall traps I had set up along the road to interdict one of the gobbos favorite invasion routes, and six or seven of them were killed or heavily wounded.  

The wagons pull into the depot and start unloading.  I'm thinking that maybe this can work anyway, when one of the human merchants leading a pack mule just a few tiles off the road gets mangled by a stonefall trap which had injured one of the guards earlier and my industrious dwarfs had already reloaded.  

At this point the merchants are no longer interested in trading (trade depot shows "no merchants trading"), but the remaining wagon and pack mule continued heading for the depot? (I expected them to turn back?)  

With the merchant that had been leading him unconscious, the pack mule heads off to one side and is first injured and then killed by a couple of other stonefall traps.

So...

1. Animals that belong to the Fortress can rarely trigger a trap.

2. Kobold thieves appear to be immune to traps.  (Didn't they work like this once before?  Maybe this is intentional?)

3. Elf diplomats appear to be immune to traps.

4. Human diplomats appear to become immune to traps if they can survive being hit by the first one they trigger?  Or maybe crawling made him immune?

5. Human merchants, guards and their animals are completely vulnerable to traps.  Stonefall anyway; those are the only ones they encountered.

6. After a merchant is killed and they decide to bail they should head away from the depot, not toward it.  At least, not if the merchant is killed between them and the depot.  (Okay, thinking about it a wee bit more, maybe that one's tougher than I thought)

I guess the grain of salt is that I've been running this fort for a while.  I generated the world and started the fort with DF 0.27.169.33b.  I'm running the latest 38a now, but I have skipped a few updates, including the previous 38a.

<Edit>

[ February 19, 2008: Message edited by: randomjgj ]

quot;...remember that we are not descended from fearful men..."

E Murrow

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: War dog killed by stone fall trap
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:02:00 pm »

Kobold thiefs are immune to all traps. IIRC, they've always been like that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

randomjgj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Untelligent:
<STRONG>Kobold thiefs are immune to all traps. IIRC, they've always been like that.</STRONG>

That's what I thought too.  I could swear though, in this fort anyway, that some of the dead kobold thief bodies on the unit list were found on triggered stonefall trap tiles.

quot;...remember that we are not descended from fearful men..."

E Murrow

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:59:00 am »

I also lost one wardog, once, to a stonefall trap, and then never again. Though since then I've stopped using traps nearly as often. Foreign traders and diplomats seem to get clobbered by traps 9 times out of 10 for me.

I assumed this was intentional, a way to make things rather more challenging. Wardogs assigned to military dwarves getting hit by stonefall traps, rarely, that I have no idea about.

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

It looks like traps can affect your dwarves now. I was playing on a new world on the current (176.38a) version and had breached the hidden fun stuff chambers. My army was waiting in a huge fortrified chamber fitted with stonefall, weapon and cage traps. In the melee, I had various dwarves and intruders killed by traps and the only survivors of the subsequent massacre were the two guards who spent the entire time trapped in their own cages.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:25:00 am »

Uh, all "intruders" have the [TRAPAVOID] tag, so they're not affected by traps.

'Fraid you just buggered yourself on that one, mate.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

I've had quite a few animals killed by traps.  I haven't noticed any problems with visiting caravans and such, but the guards may be getting wacked.. I'll have to check next time they come.  (I never have any issues with the caravans themselves)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 11:04:00 am »

Isn't there a bug where unconsciousness triggers traps?

Do you have cave spiders?  It might be that traps get triggered when a creature gets paralyzed after being stung.

I had a tame cat who was stung by a cave spider, and later killed by a stonefall trap, so this might be possible...