Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: what has science done  (Read 6098 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what has science done
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2012, 04:09:17 pm »

I once read something about someone who constructed things with many legs,
moving around with no electronics or gears involved.
He used only what he could make of plactic tubes, bottles and stuff..
His name is Theo Jansen.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 05:48:11 am »

inventory list: 30wt soldering iron rosin soldwr
ductape electrical tape
copper wire iron chunks stainless steel chunks
tv tubes lightbulbs bike parts
broken  striped silicon circut boards
gas oven range microwave 1000wt
magnify glass sniper scope pellet gun
1.5v bateries book matches

I'm going to the store soon to buy suplies.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 08:44:38 am »

Stop by a paint shop and get 50% powdered aluminum 50% powdered rust, BY WEIGHT VOLUME. They should sell both those things or just give you some for free. Combine them at home. Clump this mixture on the floor of your test chamber, ignite with the highest temperature ignition device you can get your hands on, and watch what happens. 100% safe. Not.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:57:20 am by klingon13524 »
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2012, 11:20:26 am »

Thermite ftw.

Also if they know *anything* they'd phone you in to the police as a terrorist instead of giving you the stuff.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2012, 12:06:29 pm »

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/pdfs/misc/anarchistcookbook2000.pdf

And go.

Or don't, really, some of the stuff might seem interesting but it's not really safe, or good for you, or those around you.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 12:14:01 pm »

May I add at this point

You actually stopped performing science.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 12:27:52 pm »

spalkleys ftw.

Also if they know *anything* they'd congratulate you on your harmless fun.
Shhh!
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 02:56:44 pm »

Stop by a paint shop and get 50% powdered aluminum 50% powdered rust, BY WEIGHT VOLUME. They should sell both those things or just give you some for free. Combine them at home. Clump this mixture on the floor of your test chamber, ignite with the highest temperature ignition device you can get your hands on, and watch what happens. 100% safe. Not.

wouldn't powdered magnesium be better?

when I was younger  (16 or so) me and my friends bought a 15 pound bag of potassium nitrate online and a few hundred feet of fuse.

melt it down with some table sugar and you have smoke bombs,

dry mix it with some powdered magnesium and you have a strong flash powder.  (flash as in boom, not flash as in flashbang)
made a few grenades and blew shit up out in the desert,  once we had police helicopters looking for us but we hid in some bushes for a hour or so until it left.

for the powdered magnesium, which proved harder to get than the potassium nitrate, we went to walmart and bought a magnesium block and shaved it with knives and ground it up ourselves.

oh the wondrous things you can get at  walmart.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 05:28:27 pm »

Something my father told me. Smoke bombs can also be made if you tear up a tennis ball and wrap it in some aluminum foil (chocolate wrap workes nicely), open it up and light it on fire before wrapping it back up (leave a hole or two for the smoke to get out, or alternatively just the hole you used to set it alight).

He also told me about that one time he built a wire rocket and used the phosphorous from a ton of matcheads as fuel, almost set the barn on fire.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 06:15:07 pm »

well, that just sounds like burning a tennis ball for the smoke it'd make rather than a smoke bomb.

potassium nitrate and sugar make more of a rocket fuel, but if you put it on the ground and light the top of it it'll make a lot of smoke,
an ice cube sized smoke bomb made from that material is more than enough to wrap a house in smoke.  and it shoots 1 or 2 foot rocket flames and is quite loud.

would be a good way to blow up a car, just put one of those under the gas tank and light it.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 07:12:55 pm »

would be a good way to blow up a car, just put one of those under the gas tank and light it.
How would that work? Gasoline isn't explosive under normal conditions? Hell if you put it in a cubical container and light it it's not even going to boil (evaporation sucks up quite some heat). Now if you're talking about a car with nitro in the boot I could understand.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2012, 07:20:49 pm »

Posting because I need to try this stuff.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2012, 07:22:29 pm »

thats true and it's not true
normally gasoline below the surface is not flammable. Only because the top layer of Gas (that IS burning) is keeping the oxygen away from the lower layer.

but potassium nitrate is an oxidizer and this sort of smoke bomb produces a highly oxidized flame,
and not to mention the flame would be under the gas tank, meaning once it melted the container the gas would start to pour out onto the flame.  Making a new surface area retardedly higher than if it was still in the tank.

what your referring to would be like a standing pool of gasoline, which would still be flammable it's just it wouldn't all go up in flames at once, only the surface would burn.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2012, 07:33:16 pm »

Oh wait, of course. If not all the KNO3 is used up yet it might react with the gasoline. Though I don't know how violent the reaction would be, octane is pretty damn stable so the reaction between nitrate and octane may be rather slow even at elevated temperatures. The reason it works with sugar is because sugar isn't the most stable compound you can find as it contains ether bonds. Sure, those are not exactly unstable either, but they're easily attacked by a nucleophile like NO3-.

Edit: On the other hand, if the nitrate is already burning it may disperse and evaporate the gasoline, which may make it combust pretty spectacularly.

Time for science?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:34:53 pm by Virex »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2012, 07:48:19 pm »

when you melt it with sugar it turns brown and gets the same consistency / color as melted peanut butter,
but it does NOT taste like peanut butter, i've tested this myself on more than one occasion.
you should see the stuff burn, it's quite amazing, very fast moving violent loud flames. very cool stuff.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5