Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: what has science done  (Read 6095 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: what has science done
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2012, 08:08:08 pm »

Find a roach.
Make it watch Saw
See if the roach pisses itself.
or
Paper Mache Volcano with hot choclate.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2012, 01:18:02 am »

He isn't performing science until he uses science

Right now your making him perform "construction"

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2012, 01:27:52 am »

wouldn't powdered magnesium be better?

That's an option, but aluminum and iron oxide are much cheaper and easier to get. Also thermite is relatively stable and safe to store and transport, whereas magnesium powder ignites very easily.

mix it with some powdered magnesium and you have a strong flash powder.

Sure. But thermite will burn holes through cars.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2012, 01:48:00 am »

magnesium would make a better thermite than aluminum would it not?

magnesium + kno3 = flash powder, (explosive powder, grenades, dynamite etc.)

magnesium + metal oxide = better thermite than aluminum + metal oxide
havent tested it, but considering Magnesium by itself burns at  5,610F  and  Aluminum burns at 3,600F
2000 degrees higher, and thats before oxidizing it.

now that I think about it magnesium by itself should be able to burn holes through cars, based on this chart
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/melting-temperature-metals-d_860.html

metal oxide could be iron oxide, copper oxide etc.

and last I checked you can buy magnesium at walmart, it's just a bit more expensive than aluminum though, because it's better than it in every way, it's about 1/3 the weight, burns about twice as hot, lights easier, etc.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:45:03 pm by Valid_Dark »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2012, 04:31:45 pm »

magnesium
it
lights easier

Yes. But this is not necessarily a desireable quality in something that burns at several thousand degrees and that can't be put out with a fire extinguisher. An aluminum-based thermite also burns at several thousand degrees and can't be put out with a fire extinguisher, but it's so difficult to ignite that you can toss it into a wood campfire and it won't burn. Magnesium can be ignited by simple metal-on-metal sparks, which is why it's used for campfire starter strips.

magnesium by itself should be able to burn holes through cars

Possibly. I don't think I've ever seen a pile of magnesium ignited that was bigger than about an inch in diameter, but if you check youtube there are plenty of videos of people lighting it on workbenches and things and it never seems to do much damage. Though I suspect that's an issue of particle size.

you can buy magnesium at walmart

Magnesium strip from wall mart: $6.88 for one tenth of a pound = $68.80/pound, and you have to file/grind/powder it yourself

Pyrotechnic grade aluminum powder $25/pound, ready-made

If you just want to make a pretty little flash, three minutes with a magnesium strip might be easier. But if you want to make something big and awesome, it's cheaper and a lot less work to simply buy aluminum powder. Also, the quality of your thermite will depend very much on the size of your particles. Smaller particles = more surface area available to make contact with oxygen = faster/hotter burn. Those youtube videos showing people igniting magnesium on workbenches for pretty lights but little effect probably are that way because hand-shaved magnesium generates relatively large particles. Even if magnesium burns hotter than aluminum, you're likely to get a much better result with industrially produced aluminum powder than hand-shaved magnesium.

If you really want to use magnesium, want you probably want is pyrotechnic grade powdered magnesium. The price is similar to that of the aluminum, but you'll have to personally pick it up from their warehouse because they won't ship it.

In any case, I suppose how to best go about it would depend on your goal. If the goal is to have "sciencey fun" then maybe buying ready-made metal powder from a fireworks supplier is cheating.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2012, 05:59:50 pm »

magnesium would make a better thermite than aluminum would it not?

magnesium + kno3 = flash powder, (explosive powder, grenades, dynamite etc.)
I don't know about that, magnesium reacts easely but the heat of reaction for aluminum may be higher, and if you finely disperse the powders the higher activation energy is not a problem.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2012, 07:48:08 pm »

Here's something you can actually do:

Get some round aluminum ducting, about 8 inches wide and four or five feet in length. Drill a hole every 2 centimeters along it in a line. Cover each end with a rubber diaphragm (like a drum). Then cut another hole, and insert a hose for propane and caulk it up. Turn on propane, light each hole. Then, with fire coming out of each hole, use a speaker to player a tone next to one end of the pipe. The fire will make waveforms. Very cool, more than a little dangerous if used in a dance club.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 08:23:30 pm »

Here's something you can actually do:

Get some round aluminum ducting, about 8 inches wide and four or five feet in length. Drill a hole every 2 centimeters along it in a line. Cover each end with a rubber diaphragm (like a drum). Then cut another hole, and insert a hose for propane and caulk it up. Turn on propane, light each hole. Then, with fire coming out of each hole, use a speaker to player a tone next to one end of the pipe. The fire will make waveforms. Very cool, more than a little dangerous if used in a dance club.

Can you produce a link? I want to try this but don't want to blow myself up
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 08:26:36 pm »

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2012, 02:00:42 am »

Is the anarchist's cookbook even legal?
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 02:03:00 am »

What does it matter?

to my knowledge labeling a book illegal only draws more attention to it, and there are ways to read anything no matter it's legality

but as far as science goes, you should make some Kool Aid Pickels, I just posted about them in the fish thread, but figured they deserve to be here too

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq2.html#koolaidpickles

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2012, 02:13:03 pm »

Is the anarchist's cookbook even legal?

Since when were books illegal?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2012, 03:14:51 pm »

Ach, it has become 'perform mundane science' to 'fun with household explosives"! :P

For DNA... wouldn't you need an ultrifuge or something? To separate the DNA from the cells :-0

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2012, 02:10:08 am »

I'm sorry, the "How to kill a man" and "How to grow Marijuana" scared me...
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]