Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: what has science done  (Read 6096 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what has science done
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 12:14:36 pm »

Frankly, I don't find vinegar-in-egg to be the most fascinating of experiments

Its egg-in-vinegar

Totally different.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 12:23:11 pm »

Try dissolving styrofoam in gasoline, and lighting it on fire. Hooray for napalm!
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 12:28:21 pm »

No napalm. Reading that I think I'll buy some yeast and try that as well, what do yeast eat anyways?
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 02:06:56 pm »

Measure the differences in your dna from your parents to see if you're adopted.
I can give instructions on how if you don't know
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 02:43:44 pm »

Measure the differences in your dna from your parents to see if you're adopted.
I can give instructions on how if you don't know
The DNA of all humans is 99.9% similar, how does someone who doesn't even have a lab determine the difference?
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 02:49:10 pm »

A series of restriction enzymes, an electrophoresis chamber, a digital camera and a computer.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 02:50:06 pm »

Don't you need to have fluorescent dyes to stain the DNA? Or can you just use fluorescent felt tip ink for that?

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:15 pm »

yes, and dye.

you see, a restriction enzyme basically cuts dna at certain points. as you probably know, dna is a series of nucleotides, which i'll abbreviate as A T C and G, since I don't remember the correct spelling off the top of my head.  the restriction enzyme cuts between a certain series of code, so like everytime it finds ATAGCA it'll cut between the a and g, (random example), using this you basically cut the dna into  pieces, but all cut using a similar methodology. you then dye the dna (so it's visiable to the human eye) and load them into wells made on an Agarose gel, (basically agar but minus the nutrients)
you then load that gel into an electrophoresis chamber (basically a plastic box with water in it, with an area to put a positive connector on one end and negative connector on the other end) and start pumping electricity through the water. this will carry the dna sequences a distance depending on their size, smaller dna will go farther and bigger dna will go not as far, this results in dyed bands in the agarose gel.

I don't really know how to tell if someone's your parent or not, but I know how to do dna testing and play who done it games, (where you set up a fake crime scene and have suspects, and you dna test all the suspects and dna found at the crime scene and find out who done it)

I used to do stuff like this in High School.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 03:06:08 pm »

Also, perhaps a psychological experiment. Who lives in your household, and what is your relation to them?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 03:10:34 pm »

yes, and dye.
Preferably one that binds to the DNA :P

as you probably know, dna is a series of nucleotides, which i'll abbreviate as A T C and G, since I don't remember the correct spelling off the top of my head.
Adenine, Thymine, Cytosine and Guanine (One of the few things I still recall from my biochem. course)
You're also forgetting to mention that A couples to T and C couples to G which is pretty important as you'll usually need to replicate the DNA for it to become a usable amount (unless you manage to recover miligrams of the stuff at once, but that's not so common). So if we have a strand of ATTACGA, we can use enzymes to grow a strand of TAATGCT on it. Then we split those strands and can grow a new strand of ATTACGA and a new one of TAATGCT. Keep doing that and we can make milligrams out of picograms, making analysis of minute amounts of DNA feasible.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 03:16:55 pm »

yes, and dye.
Preferably one that binds to the DNA :P
Ethidium bromide is what we always used,
nasty stuff

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 08:28:00 pm »

doing science

suggest what to do.

In approximate order of difficulty:

* Make a non-newtonian fluid (relevant video)
 * Superfreeze beer
 * Make thermite
 * Make sugar crystals
 * Build a potato cannon
 * Build a magnetic coil gun
 * Build a Tesla coil

Other ideas, find your own links: magnetic ferrofluid, leyden jar, EMP generator, railgun, plasma globe, farraday cage, Jacob's ladder, ammonium triodide crystals.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 01:23:29 am »

It all seems so very interesting, going to try everything.

Cant do gene testing, my parents are too astranged or disavowed to get samples...

List of materials and tools will be the next thing I post for sure; I'm going to stop procrastinating about taking inventory.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 04:34:48 am »

GCAT... Will never forget that again!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5