Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing in Linux  (Read 824 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing in Linux
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:58 am »

I have, so far, played on windows using the lazy newb pack. Mostly becuase I am too lazy to set up all the graphics and utilities myself.  I also use Linux (specifically Ubuntu 11.10) and want to get set up playing DF on Linux.  Lazy Newb doesn't work in it and I am having a hard time getting a graphics pack to work properly.  I also want to be able to use dfhack, Dwarf Therapist, and Soundsense.  Can anyone help me out?

Joey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing in Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:27:34 am »

Dunno about texture packs as I don't use them very often myself. The wiki has an excellent step by step guide for installing dwarf therapist on linux, here's a link:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Utilities#Instructions_.28Ubuntu.29

I can't really help you out with the rest right now, try googling around a bit.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:22:49 pm »

Mayday's DIY texture pack guide works just as well for other texture packs as it does for his texture pack, all it does is require you to change the name for some of the files to match those of the texture pack you wish to install.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:41:45 pm »

Mayday's DIY texture pack guide works just as well for other texture packs as it does for his texture pack, all it does is require you to change the name for some of the files to match those of the texture pack you wish to install.

I tried that and it didn't work, but I was trying with Ironhand's pack, which from my understanding can be a little finicky.  I'll try again tonight with Mayday's graphic pack.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:29:17 pm »

I have no trouble at all using Ironhands on Ubuntu 11.10. If I recall correctly, I just extract the linux installation of DF, then the Ironhand install over top of it, and it all works fine. The same works for installing DFhack, just extract the linux install over the folder and run dfhack. There is a linux version of Dwarf Therapist, but that's marginally more difficult to get working, at least on Ubuntu 11.10, because it's a "nanny OS" which doesn't like one process hacking into another - but the instructions for making it work are somewhere on these forums (I think in the Dwarf Therapist thread itself).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:36:33 pm by Nan »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:03:16 pm »

I believe I have dfhack, ironhands graphics, and dwarf therapist all working, now to figure out soundsense.