Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Minecraft Server  (Read 7440 times)

Gregracious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Minecraft Server
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:02:03 am »

Hi there,

I will be hosting a Minecraft server devoted to creating a DF atmosphere.  It will be an attempt at a DF multiplayer using Minecraft as the game engine.  The gameplay will consist of the traditional fortress mode.  Seven players will be selected to play as the dwarfs while the rest will be given the opportunity to play as NPC's.  (merchants, elves, goblins, etc.)  As time progresses goblins will grief siege the fortress.  Any dwarfs that perish will be unable to play for the remainder of the round.  Once all dwarfs are dead, a new round will begin.  Fortresses that were built will remain intact, but all items/chests/loot will be removed.  The first few rounds players will not have the option of embarking near or on previous fortresses.  For now the world map consists of 128x128 chunks that is broken into a grid of 16x16 chunks.  (which is 256x256, a normal DF map is 257x257)  This should give players enough room to build and gather supplies without shortage.  Later I plan to add certain areas that are good, evil, neutral and include different difficulty factors for each.  I intend to make it so that the harder the difficulty the greater the rewards.   

I do intend to record and make an archive of each fortress.  Every hour of gameplay will be shortened to 1 minute covering highlights.  At the end of a fortresses demise there will be a youtube tribute video.   8)               

Anyone interested in participating should go to this thread,

http://minecraftss13.proboards.com/index.cgi

(obviously, you will need to have Minecraft in order to play) 

:D

-Current Fortress Signups-

Dwarf:  (deadline - 2/5/2012)

1. Keithly
2. Froztbolt
3. Yeznik
4. Billybobjoe1223
5. makunmaa
6. (pending)
7. (pending)

Enemy/NPC/Other

1. Kamamura
2. Totte
3. Gizogen
4. Utahraptor2010

Map of World

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:45:28 pm by Gregracious »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Dwarf Fortress Minecraft Server
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:40 am »

The other Minecraft threads are here, but this is DF related... so I suppose it can fit here too.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:22:11 am »

I recall reading a thread here where it was a partly attempt at creating DF multiplayer.  Players would spend one week building things on a map, and then save the file, and transfer it to another player.  By the end there was a long history, players creating large crazy projects. 

I think you're talking about succession fortresses. They're actually pretty common; in fact, alot of the references and jokes we still use are based off the famous Boatmurdered saga.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Gregracious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:58:38 am »

I recall reading a thread here where it was a partly attempt at creating DF multiplayer.  Players would spend one week building things on a map, and then save the file, and transfer it to another player.  By the end there was a long history, players creating large crazy projects. 

I think you're talking about succession fortresses. They're actually pretty common; in fact, alot of the references and jokes we still use are based off the famous Boatmurdered saga.

That's the one where a bunch of rampaging elephants went on a killing spree?  If so, I do recall reading that particular one!   

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:09:15 am »

There are many more. Headshoots, Syrupleaf, Battlefailed and its offspring to name just a few.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:41:19 am »

This seems like a great idea, though I'm not sure I'll be able to take part. 
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Gregracious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 01:45:33 pm »

This seems like a great idea, though I'm not sure I'll be able to take part.

Would you be able to be a siege goblin instead?  (you wouldn't have to commit to the one-hour a week thing fully)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:56:18 pm »

Next, someone needs to make a Minecraft mod for DF.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Totte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 11:06:40 am »

Can I be an Elf merchant? I can trade wooden swords and stuff. I will also diplomat some rules of cutting down trees.

Gregracious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »

Can I be an Elf merchant? I can trade wooden swords and stuff. I will also diplomat some rules of cutting down trees.

Wow haha.  Never thought of that.  Maybe as a NPC event, but definitely not as one of the seven starting players. 

I just got the server we will be using online.  So far I have 2-4 people as potential dwarfs.  We need a few more people before we can start.   :P  I still need to setup the plugins that will be used. (which won't be much)  Also dumb question, how big a dwarf fortress map on fortress survival after you embark?  I'm thinking about using that as the world parameter.  If it's too small, then I will just increase it x2.

The forum I have setup for this is at,

http://minecraftss13.proboards.com/index.cgi

Anyone interested in participating should post there.  I'm getting the section setup right now. 

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 06:46:40 am »

I am in, as long as you let me play a pregnant kobold assassin.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 05:13:34 pm »

I am in, as long as you let me play a pregnant kobold assassin.

The ultimate meaning of the term 'meatshield'.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Gregracious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 04:03:29 am »

Sorry to bump this but,

Also dumb question, how big a dwarf fortress map on fortress survival after you embark?  I'm thinking about using that as the world parameter.  If it's too small, then I will just increase it x2.

Anyone mind answering?   :D

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 01:34:20 pm »

I would enjoy being on a friendly minecraft server based on DF.
I once created a dwarf faction on a war server, there wasnt any entrance; The factionhome was underground, and to get out you had to /spawn or /sethome outside the fort.

It was badass, we had a tree-farm and all this. We were entirly surface-independent!
My skin's a custom skin of a dorf too :P

So yea, gonna check this out...

EDIT: After consulting the minecraft forum thread and the forum, im not really sure anymore.
The thing with rounds and all this.. I just dont think i'd like that at all.
I tought it would'v been a simple minecraft survival server based on DF, with RP elements and events (goblin sieges etc.), all that and a nice, organized community (so no-one would go out and build a random house/outpost somewhere).
But neh, nevermind, it seems much like a duty than some fun.

I'll pass my turn, but i still hope you guys have fun!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:42:19 pm by Jimmitheking »
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.
Pages: [1] 2