Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Useless military demonstrations  (Read 1839 times)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Useless military demonstrations
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 12:25:21 am »

(...) I ran the same save multiple times to test this, and there could easily be a difference of two levels of skill from spring to autumn, even with absolutely identical dwarves in an absolutely identical setup. (...)

You managed a train TWO skill levels in 2 seasons?
My dwarves usually get 2 skill levels after about 3 years of training...
This is why I relly mostly on marksdwarves and legendary miners.

Must try the mentioned suggestions, especially squads with only two dwarves.
I refuse to use cheats like danger rooms.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 07:02:58 am »

You can probably get up to 5 skill levels in two seasons. Certainly, proficient weapon users at embark, can be master weapon users and legendary fighters by the time the caravan arrives in autumn. That's the very best - often performance is a bit lower, but still pretty darn good.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 07:26:52 am »

(...) I ran the same save multiple times to test this, and there could easily be a difference of two levels of skill from spring to autumn, even with absolutely identical dwarves in an absolutely identical setup. (...)

You managed a train TWO skill levels in 2 seasons?
My dwarves usually get 2 skill levels after about 3 years of training...
This is why I relly mostly on marksdwarves and legendary miners.

Must try the mentioned suggestions, especially squads with only two dwarves.
I refuse to use cheats like danger rooms.

Are your dorfs doing individual training, or are set to active training?

Also, solidarity, Danger Rooms = No !FUN! :D

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 09:48:19 am »

Active training. And yeah, they do a lot of biting demonstrations...
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »

Firstly, why do you have so many peasants? All my migrants come with lye making and pressing...
Secondly, consider armorer? So if they get a mood, you can have a legendary armorer. Also, Won't conflict with Pump op., bc its not mood-able.
Yeah but how often do you make soap or press oil? When I said peasant I meant "peasant" as in a dwarf I have designated to be used for unskilled labor (which in forts of 180 dwarves can be over half of the fortress). And yeah I've considered armorer, but since I personally prefer traps as my main way of defense, I tend to just have a 1-2 squad military to deal with building destroyers, stuck goblin squads (since their leader on the cave alligator took a swim), and to work as mop-up crew on any who make it out the other side of the traps.

Also just a note on danger rooms: it is possible to nerf them so that they work slightly faster then normal but don't give the insane bonuses. Personally I prefer to set mine up by connecting them to a pressure plate in the dining room entrance. This then greatly slows down the rate of training, especially later on in my forts when so many creatures are walking over the plate that it hardly ever un-triggers (which is when the spikes activate), resulting in something that works faster then normal training, but not so fast that it breaks the game. Also if you drop it down from 10 spears to 1-3 spears you can greatly reduce the training speed as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]