Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Useless military demonstrations  (Read 1837 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Useless military demonstrations
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:12:34 pm »

I'm trying to train up my militia to be speardwarves, and I have squads of two dwarves each, but a lot of the time I see them demonstrating wrestling and biting and other useless things like that. How can I make it so they train more useful things like using spears, armour, dodging, fighting?

Thanks
Feeling down? Click Here!

Darkfyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Useless military demonstrations
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:16:32 pm »

Make sure you have spears designated as their weapon of choice, and make sure you have gone under the military squad options and set them to train properly (remember to make the max number of dwarfs training at one time -1 the total you have, so they don't get miserable from long duty)
A gem-encrusted sock is perfect for ass-kicking.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:18:16 pm »

Also be sure they've actually equipped the spears. Finding out they haven't is Annoying. To say the least.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:24:55 pm »

There's not really anything you can do about it. If a dwarf has bitten exactly one thing in his entire life, he may decide to lead a biting demonstration. And the dwarves who learn a little biting from that dwarf may decide to teach biting, and so on. Dwarves aren't that smart.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:31:58 pm »

I find that 2 dwarf squads spar more regularly, and train up faster.
Maybe try using smaller squad sizes?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:41:04 pm »

I find that 2 dwarf squads spar more regularly, and train up faster.
Maybe try using smaller squad sizes?
He is already using squads of two.

As for any advice, I'd pretty much say what the other posters here are saying, that you should make sure that they have their equipment and are actually set up to train right.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »

Even when you do everything right - that is, put equally skilled dwarves in squads of 2, the actual amount of time they spend sparring vs doing other things is *highly* variable. I ran the same save multiple times to test this, and there could easily be a difference of two levels of skill from spring to autumn, even with absolutely identical dwarves in an absolutely identical setup. I couldn't figure out any way to make it more reliable, but even when the progress is slow, it's still not bad.

Here is basically "doing everything right:
1) Put dwarves in squads of 2.
2) Pair up identically skilled dwarves - ie two dwarves with no military skill at all, might skill up faster than two dwarves with a range of weird combat skills (which they'll spend time teaching each other).
3) Weapon skill seems to help with sparring a lot. If you bring embark military, make them proficient weapon skill - this will help more than any other skills you can give them. If you recruit immigrants and they already have weapon skill, try to avoid making them learn a new weapon.
4) Ensure they have a civilian skill to avoid the monthly unhappy thought "upset about being relieved from duty" (I don't know whether being unhappy impedes performance, but it's sure as heck not desirable).
5) Minimize all distractions. Give them waterskins, a food stockpile in the barracks, and beds nearby. And don't give them any time off, with the happiness from sparring they don't need it.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:44:07 pm »

NonconsensualSurgery bites OP in the head, tearing the skin.
NonconsensualSurgery latches on firmly!
NonconsensualSurgery shakes OP around by the head, tearing the fat.
NonconsensualSurgery shakes OP around by the head and the severed part remains in his grip!
OP has been struck down.

(seriously, biting is the best skill in any game ever, don't stop them)
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »

4) Ensure they have a civilian skill to avoid the monthly unhappy thought "upset about being relieved from duty" (I don't know whether being unhappy impedes performance, but it's sure as heck not desirable).

What, just any old civ skill? Does it really make a difference on their happiness?
Feeling down? Click Here!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 08:25:04 pm »

What, just any old civ skill? Does it really make a difference on their happiness?
Yes. This is the reason why you shouldn't use peasants without skills in the military. If a dwarf has no civilian jobs at all, then they will get a "was unhappy to be relieved from duty" message, much the same as how dwarves without military skills get a "unhappy to be drafted" thought. And since currently a bug makes this thought happen at the end of every single month, the bad thoughts from this can add up extremely quickly.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 08:27:44 pm »

Yes, any skill.  Anything that prevents them being classified as a "Peasant" when they go off duty (so it must be Novice or higher, not Dabbling).  Plant gathering can be trained quite quickly on most maps.

Or they could Operate the Pump that does nothing.  Over and over....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:32:15 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 08:32:03 pm »

Woodcutting, plant gathering or pump operating (Dry pumps are fine) are the skills I favor.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 10:40:50 pm »

I prefer engraving, especially when I have large areas I want to smooth.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 12:06:00 am »

Yes, any skill.  Anything that prevents them being classified as a "Peasant" when they go off duty (so it must be Novice or higher, not Dabbling).  Plant gathering can be trained quite quickly on most maps.

Or they could Operate the Pump that does nothing.  Over and over....
Which also has the benefit of increasing strength and endurance while they train. Personally I enable pump operating on all of my peasants for exactly this reason, as well as that it eventually pulls 95% of the peasants to the red zone So I can assume that anyone in my fort who is red and not flashing must be a peasant.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 10:40:21 pm »

Firstly, why do you have so many peasants? All my migrants come with lye making and pressing...
Secondly, consider armorer? So if they get a mood, you can have a legendary armorer. Also, Won't conflict with Pump op., bc its not mood-able.
Pages: [1] 2