Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: burying war dogs  (Read 1215 times)

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
burying war dogs
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:09:40 pm »

i've had a few recent hissy fits thrown because a dwarf's pet war dog was not entombed and its body was left to decay. this has happened three times now. my dwarves are happy to entomb any other pets, but they seem to disregard the war dogs. i've plenty of open coffins built and prepared for burial. what's the deal?

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: burying war dogs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:18:15 pm »

By default a tomb does not allow burial of pets. You have to manually set the tomb to allow pets when you 'q' over it.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »

By default coffins DO allow for burial of pets, also the op mentioned that burying other pets has not been a problem. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the manner of the dog's death. If they fell in magma, or died in an inaccessible location your dwarfs might not have a body to bury, I ask because war dogs are prone to violent deaths. Failing that, I guess you just make sure the body is not forbidden, that the coffin really will accept pets, etc.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:52:17 pm »

all my open graves are marked to receive both pets and dwarves. like I said, other pets are consistently buried. the war dogs, on the other hand are unceremoniously drug to the giant pile of corpse outside my front door. one died because during a bout of arena training, which led to a series of misfortunate events which ended with my duchess murdering a legendary jeweler and craftsdwarf in a fit of rage. the other two simply died of old age.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:57:34 am »

if they lost a paw or tail, that could be dragged to the coffin and later they forgot about the rest of the dog (serious, that happened to me). Look over the coffins to see if one is already reserved for it. Failing that, you can try engraving a slab, though I don't know if that works for pets
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:45:20 am »

A quick search (which we should have done right from the start) revealed that this is an occasional bug that has been occurring since the 2D version. I didn't read too deeply, but it looks like you may just have to wear the results of a deranged duchess.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:48:32 am by Squidpalace »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:03:14 am »

oooooh, can we gets ghost dogs?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:38:45 am »

I think that they can't become ghost, as dogs, like any other animals, don't have a soul. Only intelligent creatures have one, and it's a basic requirement for a comeback as ghost.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 10:26:22 am »

I think that they can't become ghost, as dogs, like any other animals, don't have a soul. Only intelligent creatures have one, and it's a basic requirement for a comeback as ghost.
I feel offended, dogs, as cats and dolphins(and other sea-mamals for that matter) do have souls. I'm not too sure about rhesus-maqaque though
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:39:31 am »

I feel offended, dogs, as cats and dolphins(and other sea-mamals for that matter) do have souls. I'm not too sure about rhesus-maqaque though

No! Everyone knows that cats are brain-controlling soulless abominations!

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40:51 am »

A quick search (which we should have done right from the start) revealed that this is an occasional bug that has been occurring since the 2D version. I didn't read too deeply, but it looks like you may just have to wear the results of a deranged duchess.

well, i'm not going to assign her anymore wardogs, that's fer sure. i heard a rumour she likes ducks, so now she has a pet duck.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 02:16:35 am »

No! Everyone knows that cats are brain-controlling soulless abominations!
I give you the braincontrolling, but so is my GF, and I'm fairly sure she has a soul, so, that being not mutually exclusive, I doubt that cat's don't have souls. Shame that !!SCIENCE!! can't prove this one...
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 08:10:59 am »

By soul I ofc meant an in game soul, which is possessed only by creatures with [INTELLIGENT] tag. Damn, now I need to mod animals as intelligent and try this one out...
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 08:43:53 am »

please do share, I guess this would count as !!science!!, and we all support it, now don't we?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 03:03:41 pm »

Ghost Cats adopting owners...
Pages: [1] 2