Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34

Author Topic: BYOR 8 - Game Over  (Read 101344 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 8 - Day 1 (13/13): Look! In The Sky! It's Not Flavor Text.
« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2012, 11:00:26 am »

Okay, that's the last time friends and/or family are allowed on my computer.  I did *not* post any of that garbage.
Friends and/or family that just happened to know that red text means a vote, know where Flandre's name comes from, know terminology like 'scum' and 'mislynch', bothered with RVS questions... I feel a really, really, really desperate jester.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2012, 11:08:23 am »

Shakerag: What was your first post not made by you?

Off to class, more later.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2012, 11:17:14 am »

Put your waders on, boys!  There's a whole flood of bullshit coming down the pipe!

Bite me.  Like you've never been trolled by a friend/sibling. 

Friends and/or family that just happened to know that red text means a vote, know where Flandre's name comes from, know terminology like 'scum' and 'mislynch', bothered with RVS questions... I feel a really, really, really desperate jester.

I have geeky friends/family.  One buddy got me into Mafia because he plays elsewhere (hang on, I have a suspect now).  What's your point? 

Shakerag: What was your first post not made by you?

Like, all of them.  I said I wasn't even aware that the game had started, remember?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2012, 11:19:23 am »

Shakerag:
Shakerag, I don't remember seeing you around much recently.  What sort of experience do you have?  If you had one piece of mafia advice to give yourself and keep in mind, what would it be?

Well, that would be because I'm fairly new here. 

Experience-wise, I've read a fair number of the games here (coincidentally one of my favorite reads was you in Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia).  Also, I've been in Beginner's XVII, Beginner's XXVIII, BSER, and Paranormal 20.  And this one, of course.

My one piece of advice to give myself and keep in mind?  That webadict really, really, really hates smartasses. 

Oh, so this wasn't made by you?

It smells like a whole herd of cattle now!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: DAY 1 SUCKAHS!
« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2012, 11:36:30 am »

Vector may no longer vote Shakerag!

Vote Count
------------------------
Urist Imiknorris -
Think0028 -
Leafsnail - Zrk2, Dariush,
Orangebottle - Think0028,
Toaster -
Zrk2 -
Flandre - Toaster, Urist Imiknorris,
Dariush - Leafsnail,
Urist_McArathos -
Powder Miner - Bookthras, Flandre,
Shakerag - Urist_McArathos,
Bookthras -
Vector -
No Lynch -

Not Voting - Shakerag, Powder Miner, Orangebottle, Vector,

7 To Hammer. Day Ends Wednesday 9 PM Central.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2012, 11:43:25 am »

Oh, so this wasn't made by you?

It smells like a whole herd of cattle now!

Did I mention I was sick yesterday?   The details of what happened may be a bit fuzzy.  You know. 

Jesus.  Cut me some slack here.

Can we talk about how scummy Leafsnail has been acting now?  Because he doesn't have an excuse.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2012, 11:51:34 am »

What's your point? 
You're a fucking liar, that's my point.

PPE: Okay, WHAT. I mean... I don't even... gah. Are you really saying you don't remember quoting several games you've been in? What about the mysteeeeerious mafia-playing brother?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2012, 03:48:25 pm »

I hoped to achieve a light-hearted air in the conversation, apparently I failed. I forgot that mafia is srs bsns.
But then again, word salads are srs bsns, so I was in the wrong to single you out like that. Pardon my rudeness. Onwards, word-play, onwards!

Verily

Give me the warm fuzzies to know you approve.
And I suppose you are not going to question the fact that you were just complimented, and in effect, possibly biased to anything that was said? Not that the context matters, but it is nice to be careful.

Now a question, Zrk2: Do you think that a mafiaso would lurk, avoid, or actively attack myself or Shakerag if the both of us turned out to be town? You can place yourself in the mafiaso's shoes if you would like.

As a mafioso I would probably shut up and let them sink themselves. A town convinced of the need to lynch someone not myself is only good, and I wouldn't try to screw that up.

In regards to shakerag I'd say we lynch him today because even if he isn't scum he sure as hell isn't productive. I'd vote him, but I'm not sure what the vote count is and I don't want to accidentally hammer him.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2012, 03:56:40 pm »

Because there is no better way to start meaningful conversation, unless you have a better idea. People bitch about this every fucking game, get over it already.
Rolefishing "starts meaningful conversation" but also exposes roles to scum.  Which is bad.

Because I don't like RVS and don't care about my meta.
If you don't like RVS then why prolong it by asking RVS questions at a point where you could be asking real questions?

Not convinced about your recent attack either.

Because he has no better ideas ATM.
Oh comon I'm not asking you to respond to stuff addressed to other people.  Why defend him like this.

I am flattered that you think my question clever, but nowhere did I ask anything concrete about your role. It was Wubs that hinted at the fact that there was some level of imbalance when he stopped travelling and told us as much.  If I wanted to ask you about your role, I could have just bundled you in there with the Urists Two (I obvrolefished there, just to stir the beehive). What do you mean when you suggest that I took a risk with asking about BYOR roles in general?
Don't act like you haven't noticed.  The only way I could know whether the game would be decided by powerful roles would be if I had a powerful role.  For instance, if I answered obliviously that no, I don't think the game will be decided by powerful roles, you'd know I don't have one.

Or, y'know, you could be covering. The answers to the RVS aren't as important as the tone. Answers are almost always WIFOM, but tone, tone is where the real meat of the post is.
A question is bad if you have to lie in response to it for it to not expose your role.  Townies should not lie except in extremely desparate circumstances.

The key point I made was that saying that webadict wouldn't allow his game to be easily broken isn't WIFOM - it's just basic logic.  Webadict really has nothing to gain from making a broken game.

This statement in particular stinks of 'Hey look I'm rallying against whatever Shakerag is, I'm so town!'. So yeah, Leafsnail.
Huh?  I don't get why implying you're town makes you scum.  Although this particular statement doesn't imply it all, I'm pretty much just inviting anyone who has the ability to do so to kill Shakerag.

Okay, that's the last time friends and/or family are allowed on my computer.  I did *not* post any of that garbage.
I... guess this is vaguely plausible, although I don't get why they'd troll only one of the games you're in.  Except for the voteblocking of Vector of course.

Did I mention I was sick yesterday?   The details of what happened may be a bit fuzzy.  You know.
The kind of sickness that implants false memories, I'm guessing?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2012, 04:50:22 pm »

I accidentally posted. Here's the rest

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you refer to my comments on Leafsnail's posts it was because I was elaborating on why I'm voting to lynch him.

Quote from: Leafsnail
The key point I made was that saying that webadict wouldn't allow his game to be easily broken isn't WIFOM - it's just basic logic.  Webadict really has nothing to gain from making a broken game.

Good point, unless Wuba likes his shits and giggles really involved. I wouldn't know.

Rolefishing "starts meaningful conversation" but also exposes roles to scum.  Which is bad.

It's a BYOR, there's all sorts of roles for them to pick from, talking about roles can hardly give them any more ideas.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2012, 05:06:39 pm »

Ah, then that sort of role-fishing is pointless questioning designed to look like being useful!  I'm glad we both understand this point.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2012, 05:42:34 pm »

Shakerag:
Can we talk about how scummy Leafsnail has been acting now?  Because he doesn't have an excuse.
Do elaborate on how scummy Leafsnail has been acting. Now.

Flandre:
[...] and I dropped that attack without lifting my vote. I can't see anyone scummier than Shakerag at the moment, so it is just as well that I leave it on.
Do you know how you can find someone scummier than Shakerag? Actual scumhunting. Going after a lurker, joking around, and poking a bit at one or two people does not find scum. Why aren't you scumhunting? It's like all you want to do is waste time.

I did outright say I was scum, but it was not to be taken seriously. Shakerag asked something which couldn't have a useful answer, so I took the daring approach to show him how unproductive it was.
I'm taking it seriously.

Zrk2:
In regards to shakerag I'd say we lynch him today because even if he isn't scum he sure as hell isn't productive. I'd vote him, but I'm not sure what the vote count is and I don't want to accidentally hammer him.
You want to lynch Shakerag but you don't vote him because you're afraid of hammering him. This was four hours and two posts after the votecount that showed him at two votes. You're obviously lying, so why do you really not want to vote Shakerag? Also the prevalence of roles in a BYOR does not magically make rolefishing pro-town and you know it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2012, 06:24:44 pm »

Flandre:
[...] and I dropped that attack without lifting my vote. I can't see anyone scummier than Shakerag at the moment, so it is just as well that I leave it on.
Do you know how you can find someone scummier than Shakerag? Actual scumhunting. Going after a lurker, joking around, and poking a bit at one or two people does not find scum. Why aren't you scumhunting? It's like all you want to do is waste time.
If you really must know, I have been up for roughly 36 hours due to a Greyhound bus fiasco, and the majority of my day was spent on a phone, keeping astride with Shakerag's shenanigans. Tomorrow, I will look back and pick the thread for something new to badger someone for.
I did outright say I was scum, but it was not to be taken seriously. Shakerag asked something which couldn't have a useful answer, so I took the daring approach to show him how unproductive it was.
I'm taking it seriously.
I was alluding to the uselessness of his question; there is nothing else here for me to explain.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2012, 06:26:26 pm »

Oh, and Zrk2.  This is ridiculous.

Gonna go find that LurkerTracker...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2012, 06:29:59 pm »

Quote from: me
Shakerag:
Quote from: Shakerag
Attention-deflecting 101 right here.
Yes I asked him a question.

And I did vote back on Shakerag, but because I found his attention-deflecting scummy, not because someone told me to vote for him.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:03:20 pm by Powder Miner »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34