Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34

Author Topic: BYOR 8 - Game Over  (Read 101346 times)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 8 - Day 1 (13/13): Look! In The Sky! It's Not Flavor Text.
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2012, 08:06:03 pm »

EDIT: Fixed.

Trying to cover up your blatant rolefishing from your first post. Specifically:
I am flattered that you think my question clever, but nowhere did I ask anything concrete about your role. It was Wubs that hinted at the fact that there was some level of imbalance when he stopped travelling and told us as much.  If I wanted to ask you about your role, I could have just bundled you in there with the Urists Two (I obvrolefished there, just to stir the beehive). What do you mean when you suggest that I took a risk with asking about BYOR roles in general?
The question was sincere, so I did not calculate risk. Really, the cleverness of the question was a fluke. All I really wanted to hear was what other people thought about how unbalanced the game was due to Webadict's comment. I admit that the question was rolefishing, sort of, but that was not its intended purpose. That is why I brought up the other, more obvious rolefishing question directed at the Urists (in which I did not include Leaf). That question was one part blatant rolefishing that was meant to be obvious and one part indirect downplay of Toaster's miller claim. Hence the 'all the cool kids' remark.

The WIFOM that went rampant just recently was me pummeling Shakerag for an answer or second-hand knowledge about Vector's loss of voting rights. I did not see his reaction directed at Vector until after he pointed out that pink-vote attached to the troll-like response, and I dropped that attack without lifting my vote. I can't see anyone scummier than Shakerag at the moment, so it is just as well that I leave it on.

I did outright say I was scum, but it was not to be taken seriously. Shakerag asked something which couldn't have a useful answer, so I took the daring approach to show him how unproductive it was.

I am sorry if being a smartass has hindered the town, but I am glad I avoided the sterility of an innocent RVS.

For now, I'm willing to give Flandre the benefit of the doubt and assume that she's pulling a Solifuge-gambit[...]
Wait. This has a name?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:07:49 pm by Flandre »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2012, 08:09:18 pm »

Normally not, but much like the well-known Toony Tunnel and Webadict's "I hate you go suck a lemon or shoot yourself" posts, and Dakarian's long and lawyeristic "here is my case, now I SWARE it's time to lynch this guy in the name of everything Lytia" style, Solifuge has certain trademarks to his play.

One of them is acting as live bait during RVS.  He's usually very subtle about it, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2012, 08:09:25 pm »

Oh, my. I am so sorry! I did not mean to edit the post. The quotes were nested wrong, and I meant to type it up again in a new post the correct way.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2012, 08:10:03 pm »

Please forgive me! :<

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2012, 08:10:45 pm »

I can vouch that the content is the same.  Read it in full pre- and post-edit.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »

Powder:
Sorry for not posting the last few days, guys, I didn't really want to play Mafia.

So, Shakerag, why would you be so sure about the cult? Maybe because you're in it?

Don't drink the wine.  I've stopped reading his posts and suggest you do the same.

Vector may no longer vote Shakerag!

Shakerag - Vector, Urist_McArathos, Dariush, Urist Imiknorris,

This is worth noting.  Fake mod messages are nothing new.

Zrk2:
Zrk2:  Here's one for you, then:  What is the correct response to WIFOM?

I'd go with dismissing it, and calling out whoever did it. There is no one way to deal with it, but in general it is counter productive and the town should clamp down on it.

Good to hear, since that's exactly what you did.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2012, 08:56:31 pm »

Sorry for not posting the last few days, guys, I didn't really want to play Mafia.
Good that you came, Powder Miner; please answer the question posed to you:
Powder Miner: Have you played in a BYOR before? If you were town and had a night kill, who would you drop?

So, Shakerag, why would you be so sure about the cult? Maybe because you're in it?
Way to jump on the largest bandwagon with such a flimsy excuse. Since you moved him closer to a hammer, a question: If you could've, would you have hammered him right now? If yes, why? if not, what is the purpose of your vote on him?

Also:
Bookthras, what is your favourite alignment? What is you favourite role?
My favourite role is anything but vanilla townie/mafioso. I like role-heavy games, and I find powerless roles rather boring. Which power, however, I don't really mind; part of the challenge is to figure out how to use what tools you have the best way. As for alignment, I like scum/cult, in part because it lets you be devious, but mainly because scum/cult chat is fun; as town I like being a mason, as mason chat is almost as fun.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2012, 09:44:54 pm »

Wait, hammer?
I thought BYORs didn't have a hammer.
I'll Unvote then.
I wouldn't hammer him now. I was trying to get in the game after not posting since the beginning.

And I was going to get to that question, forgot though.
I've played in Totem Mafia and BSER, lost Totem as scum and BSER's in progress so I won't talk about it. Because apparently talking about games in progress is frowned upon.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2012, 10:10:48 pm »

Wait, hammer?
I thought BYORs didn't have a hammer.
I'll Unvote then.
I wouldn't hammer him now. I was trying to get in the game after not posting since the beginning.
Way to display conviction on your vote, dude, and jump off a bandwagon as soon as you were called on it. So, did you vote him for any reason whatsoever other than "getting in the game"? If so, which? Are you going to vote anyone, preferably with reasons/questions for it?

Yes, there are hammers in this game, as the opening post and votecount say, but he was still a couple or so votes away from it, I think.

Mod: votecount, please.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2012, 12:15:31 am »

I missed that, are you referring to the one that happened after my last post, or was there a different one? Anyway, as mentioned above, I am not pleased with Vector's approach to questions today.

Vector, stop obfuscating.

I'm not obfuscating.  However, I think it's ridiculous to answer the same question twice, or answer a question that's obv-rolefishing.

Why should I allow my role to be fished and answer redundant RVS-breed questioning?

Because there is no better way to start meaningful conversation, unless you have a better idea. People bitch about this every fucking game, get over it already.

Also, how would one vote being removed help me right now?  That's kind of silly, don't you agree?   
Just judging by the silly way you are acting, I would not put it past you. Really, why would someone waste their time slapping a vote directed at you away but yourself, or a scumbuddy?

Ahhh young grasshopper, you are not imbibing the wine enough.  Why automatically assume I had something to do with Vector's vote?  Someone else may have used a power to make it look like I might have had a hand in Vector's ability to vote.  You know, so I look scummy or something like that. 

Or, you know, it may be a side-effect of a day ability *coughinspectcough* of Vector's, but that's not WIFOM-y enough to be fun.  Mmm, throat's a little dry, let me get some more wine to drink.

Seriously.  Start thinking with portals, Flandre.

The fuck is this?

Oh, and, because I'm feeling kindhearted (and because it'll bump up the WIFOM levels), I am 95% sure there is a cult in this game. 

I don't buy it. Wouldn't you be at least a little curious and asked around about this development if you had no part in it yourself?

Vector: y u no liek me ne moar?

Maybe the pink was a bit hard to read.

THE FUCK IS THIS?

Zrk2:

What is this? I don't even.

Zrk2: Have you ever been so far even as decided to use go want to look more like?

You word salad made. Combine did purpose on you may me have doed.
What did you hope to achieve with this?

I hoped to achieve a light-hearted air in the conversation, apparently I failed. I forgot that mafia is srs bsns.

Or you're just bloody well slacking. If you sign up for a mafia game, play the fucking mafia game or GTFO.

Leafsnail: Ask, an ye shall be rewarded.

Because I don't like RVS and don't care about my meta.
If you don't like RVS then why prolong it by asking RVS questions at a point where you could be asking real questions?

Not convinced about your recent attack either.

Because he has no better ideas ATM.

I am flattered that you think my question clever, but nowhere did I ask anything concrete about your role. It was Wubs that hinted at the fact that there was some level of imbalance when he stopped travelling and told us as much.  If I wanted to ask you about your role, I could have just bundled you in there with the Urists Two (I obvrolefished there, just to stir the beehive). What do you mean when you suggest that I took a risk with asking about BYOR roles in general?
Don't act like you haven't noticed.  The only way I could know whether the game would be decided by powerful roles would be if I had a powerful role.  For instance, if I answered obliviously that no, I don't think the game will be decided by powerful roles, you'd know I don't have one.

Or, y'know, you could be covering. The answers to the RVS aren't as important as the tone. Answers are almost always WIFOM, but tone, tone is where the real meat of the post is.

Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:07:49 pm by Flandre

Ahem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
..Oh, they beat me to it. Thanks Vector, you're ever so much more classy than me.

Zrk2:
Zrk2:  Here's one for you, then:  What is the correct response to WIFOM?

I'd go with dismissing it, and calling out whoever did it. There is no one way to deal with it, but in general it is counter productive and the town should clamp down on it.

Good to hear, since that's exactly what you did.

Give me the warm fuzzies to know you approve.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2012, 12:40:15 am »

I hoped to achieve a light-hearted air in the conversation, apparently I failed. I forgot that mafia is srs bsns.
But then again, word salads are srs bsns, so I was in the wrong to single you out like that. Pardon my rudeness. Onwards, word-play, onwards!

Give me the warm fuzzies to know you approve.
And I suppose you are not going to question the fact that you were just complimented, and in effect, possibly biased to anything that was said? Not that the context matters, but it is nice to be careful.

Now a question, Zrk2: Do you think that a mafiaso would lurk, avoid, or actively attack myself or Shakerag if the both of us turned out to be town? You can place yourself in the mafiaso's shoes if you would like.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2012, 12:49:23 am »

You... think I made it impossible for me to vote you.

Oh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  The only reason why I wouldn't want to vote you now is because I'm really hoping your scummy ass will get vigged, so we'll be able to take down either a jester or RIA-ing scum without pushing a win.  I have nothing to do with my vote being banned from you.

Hmm.  Well if I didn't do anything, and you didn't do anything, then who did something?  Are you suggesting we might have all stumbled into a bastard game accidentally?

I can't really dispute that, but I am not removing the vote. Why didn't you use red in the first place?

Because red isn't faaaaaaaabulous like pink is.

What the unholy fuck is going on here?

Orangebottle.  This ... will be difficult for you.  Please sit down first.  Someone ... is acting scummier than you on D1!  *dun dun dun*

That's a seeeeecret~!  ♪

Well I would put on a verbal tic for three days just to help support a subsequent falseclaim play it pretty much the same until massclaim. 

Oh, you.

I think that Shakerag could be a "end the game" type jester with a verbal tic to help mark him.  Since a straightup jester is boring (just lynch them) and an "end the game" jester is unfair, I could see a "end the game but be REALLY LOUD AND VISIBLE" jester as an actually interesting role.  So yeah, don't lynch him guys.  His public vote blocking (or falsely speaking through the mod's mouth?) shows that there's something weird with him.

All according to plan.  *steeple fingers*

Leafsnail: I love how you just assume that Shakerag blocked Vector from voting him.
I really do.

Orangebottle: Thanks for having my back, scumbuddy.

Similarly, I'm willing to guess that Shakerag is a mondo-jester.  All previous comments on him stand.

Also according to plan.  Additionally, how does a mondo-jester differ from a normal jester?  I want to make sure I live up to your expectations. 

Don't drink the wine.  I've stopped reading his posts and suggest you do the same.

Mmmhmm.  But then you might miss it when I slip in something meaningful~  My god.  If you all knew what I did and how easy you're going to make this for me.

Oh my god, like, I know, right?  There are so many people with sticks up their respective asses that we'd have enough kindling for a bonfire.  ... That smelled like shit, of course.  ... On second thought, that was a terrible metaphor. 

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: DAY 1 SUCKAHS!
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2012, 12:53:42 am »

Vote Count
------------------------
Urist Imiknorris -
Think0028 -
Leafsnail - Zrk2,
Orangebottle -
Toaster -
Zrk2 -
Flandre - Toaster, Orangebottle, Urist Imiknorris,
Dariush - Leafsnail,
Urist_McArathos -
Powder Miner - Bookthras,
Shakerag - Vector, Urist_McArathos, Dariush, Flandre,
Bookthras -
Vector -
No Lynch -

Not Voting - Think0028, Shakerag, Powder Miner,

7 To Hammer. Day Ends Wednesday 9 PM Central.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2012, 01:02:05 am »

Shakerag, you are not helping your case! I am laughing too hard to say much else, (crying, really), but I think it is safe to say that you should be lynched. Unless you can convince me otherwise. I mean, that is what a townie would do, right?

In other news:
Shakerag - Vector, Urist_McArathos, Dariush, Flandre,

Vector's vote still stands, so the rule is, in fact, a lie.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2012, 01:14:43 am »

Yknow, the more I look at it, the less Flandre's first post bothers me.
She(?)'s not that new.
unvote.

Also, I'm not going to hand an easy win to a Jester that tries really hard to get lynched day one, and without doing something awesome. AKA Shakerag. That's just poor form, man.

Time for a reread!
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34