Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34

Author Topic: BYOR 8 - Game Over  (Read 101355 times)

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 8 - Day 1 (13/13): Look! In The Sky! It's Not Flavor Text.
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2012, 01:23:16 am »

Bookthras:  Welcome back!   Did you learn anything exciting about Mafia while you were gone?
Thanks! Nothing new so much as a reaffirmation of an old one: I much prefer fast/active games to slow/lurky yawnfests. I find Mafia elsewhere moves at such a glacial pace that watching paint dry is fun by comparison.

Bookthras: Who are you most afraid of in this game? Least?
I'm not "least afraid" of anybody; anyone can be dangerous. "Most" afraid? Webadict, since he's crazy and his games are always borderline bastard, and maybe myself, of being rusty.

But yeah, let's address this:
I am a Miller.
Urist I:  Did you know the first time I claimed my millerness in the first post in a game, I caught out scum with it?  Just ask Bookthras. [...] That'd be Paranormal 18.

Sorry? I must be misremembering, which scum did you catch with that? I seem to remember only one of us winning that game, and it wasn't you. 8-P

Still, I find your first-post miller claim, together with this boasting, to be a suspicious attempt at baiting me, either to call you as scummy for it, with which you could say "see? he did that as scum" or to force me to implicitly buy your claim and think you a "kooky townie". This is fishy of you, as is your disregard of Flandre's amusing reply. Hell, if anyone could pull the "kook fakeclaim" scum strategy, it's you.

For the record, I neither accept nor reject your miller claim; you will be judged for your scumminess on other factors, which you are displaying surprisingly early for you.

On other things:

Powder Miner: Have you played in a BYOR before? If you were town and had a night kill, who would you drop?

Vector: No welcoming words? If you were a miller, would you claim it early on D1?

Urist M: If everyone did a mass claim of role names and powers, do you think that would be more helpful for the town or the scum? Why?

No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2012, 01:31:58 am »

Welcome, doodabuddy.

In the past, when I've played a miller I haven't claimed.  If you're a miller to inspects, I think you should claim immediately (like Para's kook situation).  If you're just a flipping miller, you're sort of gambling with yourself between your propensity to get lynched/killed and the damage you'll cause to the town by the auto-WIFOM such a claim creates.

I'm almost never lynched or night-killed, so I tend not to claim.  If I thought it were at all likely, though, I can see claiming as the right thing to do.

So, assuming we're talking about a random player, I'd say that yes, it's right to claim with the first post you write on D1.  Any later and things already start looking really suspect.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2012, 07:05:56 am »

I must be either asking to get lynched, or just acting the firestarter.

Or you choked and you're covering your scummy ass right now.
My play last night was absolutely unlike anything I've tried in previous RVS', Vector. I could have adopted the nice townie routine as per usual, it would have been both easy, and less interesting!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2012, 09:09:26 am »

Bookthras:
For the record, I neither accept nor reject your miller claim; you will be judged for your scumminess on other factors, which you are displaying surprisingly early for you.

That is exactly how the claim should be treated- a null tell.  If everyone thinks that, I consider my plan a success.

Flandre keeps my vote from reacting to pressure by attempting to defuse the situation and failing to pursue any new lines.

Shakerag:  What is the scummiest comment so far?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2012, 09:14:33 am »

Bookthras:

That is exactly how the claim should be treated- a null tell.  If everyone thinks that, I consider my plan a success.
"Plan"?
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2012, 09:21:51 am »

Plan:  If I'm a miller, claim it first post of the game.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:01 am »

What's the goal of the plan?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2012, 09:41:14 am »

Flandre keeps my vote from reacting to pressure by attempting to defuse the situation and failing to pursue any new lines.
Fair enough. I have posted everything from a phone since that first one, though, so I will hold off anything useful until it is less painful to write.
In the meantime, I will remove that dreadfully obvious, lingering OMGUS on you. Unvote.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2012, 10:06:11 am »

Bookthras:  To get everyone to do it, so as to defuse the scum response of "claim miller" after they get inspected as scum (not that it works), and to prevent inspected miller mislynches (since no one buys that "oh I'm a miller!" claim after the fact.)

Flandre continues to not impress me, but I'll see about this promised content post.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2012, 10:10:16 am »

Nervous, OMGUS, refusal to answer questions, role-digging, asking people to admit to being intimidated...

And no, I'm not answering your question about the nature of my role.  Suck a melon.
Oh god the hipocrisy... IT BURNNNSS
Dariush: Do you think your angry posting style helps you find scum?
Why the UNHOLY DIABOLICAL FUCK WOULDN'T IT?!

OB, have you reined in your hate-meta? Why not, you goatfucker?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:38 am »

Shakerag, I don't remember seeing you around much recently.  What sort of experience do you have?  If you had one piece of mafia advice to give yourself and keep in mind, what would it be?

Well, that would be because I'm fairly new here. 

Experience-wise, I've read a fair number of the games here (coincidentally one of my favorite reads was you in Rysith's Semi-Bastard Mod Mafia).  Also, I've been in Beginner's XVII, Beginner's XXVIII, BSER, and Paranormal 20.  And this one, of course.

My one piece of advice to give myself and keep in mind?  That webadict really, really, really hates smartasses. 

I'm almost never lynched or night-killed, so I tend not to claim.

Late, will post a proper reply in the morning.  Is anyone interested in a massclaim to break the setup?

Urist_McArathos:  Translation: "I came up with a really good fakeclaim and I can't wait to share it with everyone!"  Amirite?

I will go suck on a melon now.

Pics or it didn't happen.

OB, have you reined in your hate-meta? Why not, you goatfucker?

Inspiration strikes!  The sequal to my (soon to be widely-acclaimed) Dariush/NUKE slashfic will be a Dariush/Orangebottle slashfic! 

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2012, 10:57:45 am »

Pics or it didn't happen.
Spoiler: Here ya go. (click to show/hide)
Inspiration strikes!  The sequal to my (soon to be widely-acclaimed) Dariush/NUKE slashfic will be a Dariush/Orangebottle slashfic! 
Compared to that, Me/TolyK seems a lot less slashy.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2012, 11:15:21 am »

I'm almost never lynched or night-killed, so I tend not to claim.

Late, will post a proper reply in the morning.  Is anyone interested in a massclaim to break the setup?

Urist_McArathos:  Translation: "I came up with a really good fakeclaim and I can't wait to share it with everyone!"  Amirite?

If I made the scummiest comment, why are you voting Arathos for saying something else?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2012, 11:17:21 am »

Don't be a dipshit; we've already covered in BSER that mass claims are hard on scum, especially if they're the FIRST to claim, since they are gambling on how their role fits in with the rest of town.  Town has nothing to fear from a mass claim, so it seemed like a solid strategy.

Also, also: the scummiest comment thus far is something Vector said, yet you vote me.  Contradict much?

PPE: Ninja'd by Vector, question stands.

Bookthras: Town.  The town has no reason to worry about changing anything, nor delaying until they can think of a way to properly word their post to avoid suspicion.  For scum, they have to either post early (to avoid accusations of delaying to fakeclaim better) and risk their role being an obvious fake, or wait (to ensure their fakeclaim is more solid) and risk being accused of faking.  If they're honest with their role, they have to think of a way to mask their actions, which will inevitably be anti-town and possible to narrow down by process of elimination.

It's not a flawless strategy, but no form of scumhunting is.  It also only works if everyone is on board and agrees to pressure the hell out of anyone who resists, otherwise all you have is a few people foolishly revealing their powers so scum know who to target.

Flandre: No, I am not a miller.  I support 100% claiming miller first post, since the longer you wait the more likely it is to be seen as a cop-out.  Also, if too many of us get miller outside of a bastard game, it's a safe bet some/all of them are lying, and we can go from there.

Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2012, 11:24:30 am »

Shakerag:  Let me third the question the previous two have asked.

Urist McA:  If, for example, six of thirteen claim miller, how would you go about discerning true claims from bogus ones?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34