Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Muddy Water  (Read 8084 times)

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Muddy Water
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:39:02 pm »

I just don't get it.... I've cleared and rebuilt the floor 3 or 4 times on my waterworks, I've got a 40 high pump stack that refuses to pump anything but mud and I just don't know what to do.  How do I get clean water into the fort?

I even threw the switch on the pump stack and then put the game into step mode and watched 4 squares of mud instantly pop up.  This is so frustrating.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Muddy Water
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:42:22 pm »

Water always leaves mud on surfaces.  This is unavoidable.

If you want to make sure dwarves getting water from wells or water source zones aren't getting muddy water, make all your cisterns at least two Z-levels deep.  Only the lowest Z-level has mud, so water taken from layers above that will be clean.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:44:32 pm »

Really?  I thought that water pumped through a pump stack was considered "purified" and could be used as a water source.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:06:10 pm »

it is true, just as soon as it hits a new tile, there is mud. The water is clean, the floor is not
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:10:04 pm »

Grr.  Ok, 2 deep cisterns all over now.  Thanks!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:24:17 pm »

the purification is mostly about salt water and murky pools though
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:29:30 pm »

Yeah this stack is pulling from a brook.  I was worried I left muddy terrain under the pump stack or something and would have to rebuild the whole stack.  I'm rebuilding my baths and hospital now, hopefully the 2 deep will work.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 07:31:19 pm »

I usually make it 4 or even 5 deep, just to have a supply in case of a VERY heavy siege, so I have a good store

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:37:09 pm »

How often does the pump stack or windmills get destroyed really though?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:58:15 pm »

well, windmills quite regularly

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:21:35 pm »

Ok, now I've got 2 deep cisterns which are still not registering as water sources.  What could I be doing wrong?  The zone is not directly over the water, the water is 7 deep.  I don't get it.

:(

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 09:25:26 pm »

Are you creating the zone over the water, or on the floor adjacent to the surface of the water?  You need to designate the water source zone on the surface next to the water.

Incidentally, being muddy will not prevent you from designating water as a water source zone.  If you can't designate the tiles adjacent to the water as a water source zone, it means the water is salty or stagnant.  If a tile has ever contained salty or stagnant water, then any water in that tile will always be salty or stagnant, even if you completely clean it out and then refill it with a pump.

In any case, if you build a well over the cistern, your dwarves will be able to use the well to get drinkable water even if the water source is salty or stagnant.  Don't be confused by not being able to designate the area as a water source zone - water source zones are only for getting water without using a well, you don't need to set one for dwarves to be able to use a well in the zone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 09:28:10 pm »

Well, I was trying to have a large bath area and a separate water area in my hospital.

How do I know if the water is stagnant or salty?  When I k over the tiles it just says 7/7 water.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 09:30:45 pm »

Mostly, you try to designate a water source area on the tiles next to the surface of the water.  If you can designate the area as a water source zone, it's not salty or stagnant.

Also, if you build a well over the water, and a dwarf uses the well, the bucket will contain 'water laced with salt' if the water is salty, or stagnant water if the water is stagnant.  If it's clean water, the bucket will just contain water.

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 09:35:44 pm »

Its kind of silly how much ambiguity there is surrounding this.  I built a well and in 10 seconds I had 30 deep piles of blood and soap right next to it. 
Pages: [1] 2