Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can dwarfs be friendzoned?  (Read 494 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can dwarfs be friendzoned?
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:20:31 pm »

So, I run this experiment: just a little room with very high value: quantum food stockpile, bed, table, chair, and two levers. It's walls are made of statues, minus a tile of wall to support the door that locks it. I look up a dwarf and a dwarfette, set the two lever's Profile so only they can use them, and set them to pull/R... then when they are in, I lock the door and cancel the lever jobs.

So far, I had two couples going  this way from Lover to Married in about 2 seasons each, and they had been stuck as lovers for more than a decade before - I don't really have that much idlers, especially when I train a guy up in something. Now, I locked my Duke and a commoner girl in, and they went from Passing Acquaintance to Friend real quick, but have yet to become lovers...

So, I ask, what is your experience? Do dwarfs need anything special, or any individual of the opposite sex who isn't a grudge or relative can potentially become a love interest over time, and the first one to get enough time will do so? Or it's more complicated?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Can dwarfs be friendzoned?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:24:25 pm »

Do dwarfs need anything special, or any individual of the opposite sex who isn't a grudge or relative can potentially become a love interest over time, and the first one to get enough time will do so?
Yes. Though I believe that personality matching has a large effect upon the total amount of time it takes to form any bonds.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Can dwarfs be friendzoned?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:34:58 pm »

To apply such an emotionally complex relationship - wherein one party feels unrequited love for the other whilst simultaneously maintaining a friendship with the same, and the other party is unwilling to move into the 'next stage' despite prodding - onto the virtual inhabitants of a very early-stage roguelike such as this is expecting rather more content from the game than it can reasonably provide. It is exceedingly unlikely that relations are modelled to such extents as of the moment, and your answer will probably then be a 'no'.

But it is, to the best of my knowledge, being planned for in future versions. You can expect it to be implemented in a decade or so.